BoardGameGeek Japan cruise (2020) and Mediterranean cruise (2021)

• 26 Replies

PhotoJim

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: PhotoJim
  • Name: Jim MacKenzie
Re: BoardGameGeek Japan cruise (2020) and Mediterranean cruise (2021)
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 11:06:07 PM »
Aggregators (like Expedia) don't have September 2019 on there yet for the most part, but most airlines (e.g. Air Canada) do have inventory opened up if you book directly.  Not cheap, yet, though.
Avidly gaming since 1972.

SteamPunch

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Given the long lead time for booking, you should definitely be able to find some deals. One site that sends out emails is https://scottscheapflights.com/ and I find the prices look really good. You don't book through them, they just inform you about prices, and you book with the airline.

PhotoJim

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: PhotoJim
  • Name: Jim MacKenzie
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 08:46:29 AM »
Given the long lead time for booking, you should definitely be able to find some deals. One site that sends out emails is https://scottscheapflights.com/ and I find the prices look really good. You don't book through them, they just inform you about prices, and you book with the airline.

It's a lot easier to find deals on return flights than one-way overseas flights.

One web forum I'm on suggested flying one-way from Tokyo to Beijing or Shanghai, and flying home from there, and indeed, if you booked that today, it's only about $1,200 total, but all the affordable flights from Japan to China involve connections in South Korea or Singapore.  I suspect the Japan-China flights will come down as time goes on, though.

The big problem is that we're in Regina.  There are only so many seats from Vancouver or Calgary to Regina, and they fill up.  Getting to Vancouver or Calgary isn't too hard.  Finding a convenient connection pair gets trickier the longer you wait.  Even yesterday, only one set of flights that Aeroplan offered got us home the same day we arrived from Japan to Canada.  All the rest (and there were many) involved overnighting in Vancouver or Calgary, for total journey times in the 30-36-hour range instead of roughly 16 hours like the booking I made.
Avidly gaming since 1972.

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
  • BGG ID: NeikeDjour
  • Name: Nicole Persram
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
It seems most sites allow you to book up to 11 months away, so by the end of the month I should be able to see our dates.
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

prairieguy

• AKA - Murray
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: prairieguy1958
  • Name: Murray Bennett
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
just so you know Nik - Scott's Cheap flights no longer includes Canadian stops. I was a subscriber and they just cancelled my subscription and refunded my money :(

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
Found this video where a guy did a walk-around of the ship, which was cool. I had to watch it on 2x speed though cause it's long, which with all the camera movement gave me a headache. Just a heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08a2S5KwWs

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
Booked all of our flights today, couldn't get the same flight back, the Air Canada flight was $600 more per person than a 20hr flight I found leaving from Haneda. You guys got quite the deal with the Aeroplan points.  :aha:

I made a private forum for discussing the trip, if anyone is planning on going on the trip and doesn't see it in their forums list, send me a PM and I can add you!