BoardGameGeek Japan cruise (2020) and Mediterranean cruise (2021)

• 28 Replies

PhotoJim

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: PhotoJim
  • Name: Jim MacKenzie
Hi all,

Just a heads-up in case you were interested (or didn't know and might be) - BoardGameGeek is now accepting bookings for its next two cruises.

2020 is a one-way excursion from September 4-16 from Vancouver, via Alaska, to Japan with three ports of call on Hokkaido and northern Honshu before docking in Yokohama in Tokyo Bay.  Lori and I, Scott and Natasha, and Miles are all planning to go on this epic adventure (I imagine many of us will add a week in Tokyo afterwards).  I know some other SaskGames were considering going, so if you are, consider booking soon while rooms are still available:  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/33051579

2021 is June 27-July 4, 2021 to and from Barcelona and tours Italy and the French Riviera.  Less time for board gaming, but a lot more to do as far as visiting Europe is concerned.  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/33051556  We're likely not going to do this one (overseas trips on consecutive years is a lot for our budget to take) but it's quite intriguing.

The usual BGG cruises are the Caribbean or Alaska, so it's nice to see some variety.

I think the Japanese cruise is particularly interesting, as there are seven consecutive sea days after leaving Sitka, Alaska.  The only downside will be that you will be stuck on the ship.  The Pacific Ocean is big.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:09:06 AM by Lori »
Avidly gaming since 1972.

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
  • BGG ID: NeikeDjour
  • Name: Nicole Persram
Re: BoardGameGeek Japan cruise (2020) and Mediterranean cruise (2021)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
John and I are booked~
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

PhotoJim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »
John and I are booked~

What kind of room did you book?

That'll make at least seven of us.  We might need to make custom t-shirts we can wear on the boat some days :).

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
John and I are booked~

What kind of room did you book?

That'll make at least seven of us.  We might need to make custom t-shirts we can wear on the boat some days :).

Ocean View, cause might as well.

PhotoJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »

We splurged for a balcony room, for the same reason.  I think it will be particularly nice to have a balcony the first few days in B.C. and Alaska, and along the Japanese coast, assuming they put us on the starboard side of the ship, at least...

The flights home are going to hurt, but it's still worth it.

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »

We splurged for a balcony room, for the same reason.  I think it will be particularly nice to have a balcony the first few days in B.C. and Alaska, and along the Japanese coast, assuming they put us on the starboard side of the ship, at least...

The flights home are going to hurt, but it's still worth it.
Yeah, we should work together on finding the best prices. It's one of the most expensive parts of it.

PhotoJim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
Air Canada will be the only option that offers a one-connection trip home (HND or NRT-YYZ-YQR, or NRT-YVR-YQR / NRT-YYC-YQR).  Haneda is closer to where we'll be than Narita, but most of the international flights fly from Narita and the only way to Regina from Haneda is via two US connections, via China or South Korea, or via Toronto.

WestJet flies to Honolulu but you'd need a Japanese or American airline to fly Tokyo-HNL.

United or Delta could do it but it would require getting to Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Edmonton on their metal and then home on Air Canada or WestJet.

I really want to fly on a 787 (I haven't yet) so I'm leaning Air Canada, but I'm watching :).  Might be fun to take Japan Airlines, but then we'd need three airlines to get us home.

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »
Air Canada will be the only option that offers a one-connection trip home (HND or NRT-YYZ-YQR, or NRT-YVR-YQR / NRT-YYC-YQR).  Haneda is closer to where we'll be than Narita, but most of the international flights fly from Narita and the only way to Regina from Haneda is via two US connections, via China or South Korea, or via Toronto.

WestJet flies to Honolulu but you'd need a Japanese or American airline to fly Tokyo-HNL.

United or Delta could do it but it would require getting to Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Edmonton on their metal and then home on Air Canada or WestJet.

I really want to fly on a 787 (I haven't yet) so I'm leaning Air Canada, but I'm watching :).  Might be fun to take Japan Airlines, but then we'd need three airlines to get us home.

I'm less worried about connections for this one, considering the cost involved in sticking to one connection. I'm pretty open either way.

MikeMcC

• View Profile
  • Name: Mike McCallion
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 11:36:42 PM »
We might need to make custom t-shirts we can wear on the boat some days :).

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be going so I'll be following vicariously.  Your comment about custom shirts got me thinking.... here are some suggestions for designs or design elements:

1)  A Saskatchewan Meeple (yellow on the lower half, green on the upper half)
     - maybe holding a wheat stalk or wheat sheaf

2)  Four meeples: SK meeple, BC meeple (with BC flag sunset symbol), Alaska meeple (blue w/ Polaris & Big Dipper) and then Japanese meeple (white with red dot, i.e., Rising Sun)

3)  A meeple travelling path from Regina/SK to Vancouver to Alaska to Japan
     - perhaps the route is made of other game elements, like Catan road pieces or T.t.Ride train car, or Catan-Seafarers boat

4)  Several meeples on a Catan-Seafarers boat (labeled "Japan or Bust") sailing between BC meeple, AS meeple & Japan meeple
     - the boat could be sinking ;-)
     - "... A three hour tour, A three hour tour..." written above the boat

5)  A couple or several meeples surrounding a large die with faces for BC, Alaska and Japan

6)  Slogan: "What's Japanese for 'meeple'?"

7)  "Game, Eat, Sleep, Repeat" written in English and Japanese script

8)  "Veni, Vidi, Lusit Ludos" (I came, I saw, I played games)
      - or I came, I saw, I had fun

9)  A Riders meeple (green with Rider logo)
     - or green with Rider helmet

10)  Slogan: "The 13th Meeple"

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:12:47 AM by MikeMcC »

PhotoJim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
There are some really good ideas here. :)

Nikki, can we coerce/bribe/tempt you into designing something?  I think this could be seriously fun.  Especially if we're all wearing the shirts on embarkation day.