question: CARCASSONNE starter tile

Started by MikeMcC, November 11, 2018, 10:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMcC

Finding* the starter tile for Carcassonne can be a bit tricky - it's 'slightly' darker, but otherwise identical.
(*either when you are starting a game - assuming you didn't set it aside in a special place - or cleaning up after a game.)

Here's my thought:
Would it not make sense to mark the starter tile so it's a much more obvious - I was thinking of making a big red X on the back with marker. 

Any reason why this might not be a good idea?  (Yes, I realize this is 'damaging' the piece, so that's 'bad'.)
Will having the big red X on the back make that tile useless for something else in the future?

Dana_Tillusz

Snikt!

MikeMcC

Quote from: Dana_Tillusz on November 14, 2018, 04:11:15 PM
Blasphemy!
I figured my suggestion might irk some folks who are protective of their games, but I never thought it would rise to the level of blasphemy.

Reynard

Perhaps an even larger red X on the front also?
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."

― Robert Jordan

Lori

I saw one where they took a green sharpie and inked the edges - that seemed to work well, as it was easy to spot when stacked in the box, but not really noticeable otherwise.

MikeMcC

Quote from: Lori on November 15, 2018, 08:52:28 AM
I saw one where they took a green sharpie and inked the edges - that seemed to work well, as it was easy to spot when stacked in the box, but not really noticeable otherwise.
That was another thought I had.

Dana_Tillusz

Mike, I have some blank Carcassonne titles. You could make your own if you like.
Snikt!

MikeMcC

Quote from: Dana_Tillusz on November 15, 2018, 10:04:39 AM
Mike, I have some blank Carcassonne titles. You could make your own if you like.
Hmm.. that's interesting.... but, no thanks... I'm just trying to figure out how to find one specific tile and wondering if marking it would be some massive violation of acceptable gaming decorum or something (I already know *your* answer).

tlh878

Unless you plan to sell it later, does it really matter what the "decorum" is? 

It's your game.  If marking the tile makes gameplay better (easier) for you, and it doesn't alter the actual gameplay, who cares how you mark it?
I'm happy to bring out any game I own.  Link to my BGG list Let me know :)

MikeMcC

Quote from: tlh878 on November 15, 2018, 09:07:55 PM
Unless you plan to sell it later, does it really matter what the "decorum" is? 
It's your game.  If marking the tile makes gameplay better (easier) for you, and it doesn't alter the actual gameplay, who cares how you mark it?
No, I don't really care that much about decorum... I'm simply trying to determine before hand if there are any situations where marking my tile might be a problem.  Like you mentioned, selling the game is one such situation - it *could* be a problem if the buyer were picky about that sort of thing.  However, I don't plan on selling.  Offhand I can't think of any other situations where a marked tile could be a problem but that's why I'm consulting that wisdom of the internet.