Flames of War - Q&A

Started by Kage, March 07, 2011, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

How goes the painting & assembly Squalie?

squalie

Well, today I bought the Overlord British/USA book.  300 pages of coolness.

When I got home I took count of what I have so far:

1 jeep
2 Crusader
4 Sherman
3 Firefly
8 Cromwell
4 Sexton
6 Defrocked Priest
4 M5 Halftrack
2 M10 3"
6 Universal Carrier
3 Wasp Carrier
4 25pdr

Lots of:

Rifle/MG teams
Piat
Mortar
Vickers
Observer team

What else should I get?  Knowing that "should" is a subjective term.  I think I'd like Challengers and go as much "straight" British as possible, or am I just confused about all of this?

There's so many darn things to choose from in the Overlord book that I'm a little overwhelmed.  Does it make much of a difference if I make a very themed army tied to a particular group; Desert Rats, Polish, 12th Manitoba Dragoons, 4th Canadian Armoured, etc?

I went to watch the event at the Dragons Den today in Saskatoon and it looked awesome. Seemed like nice guys, but I didn't bother with too many questions as they were obviously fighting a war! :D

Lance

Think you will enjoy the Challengers - don't hesitate to ask any questions.
In a while you will wonder why you were overwhelmed at all ;)

squalie

Ok, so everything is pretty much glued together and now on to painting. 

I'm trying to find spray paint that'll match late war armoured British - with no luck.  I bought a jar of Tamiya X-51 or whatever that Kage recommended on his site.  Should I just get an airbrush?  Do you prime before airbrushing the Tamiya paint?

I want to make sure this is as accurate as possible.

Another thing;  I put together the M5 half tracks and I can't figure out what models go on what %#$&@!* bases for the motor platoon.  :confused  Do I just try to match the silhouette's on the army list?

Lance

Quote from: squalie on June 17, 2014, 09:32:55 PM
Ok, so everything is pretty much glued together and now on to painting. 

I'm trying to find spray paint that'll match late war armoured British - with no luck.  I bought a jar of Tamiya X-51 or whatever that Kage recommended on his site.  Should I just get an airbrush?  Do you prime before airbrushing the Tamiya paint?
There is a spray paint available (Battlefront) - none of us use it. Which would make your tanks stand out
Airbrush - Kage swears by them - none of the rest of us use one
Prime - most of the guys do so (I don't)

Lance

I want to make sure this is as accurate as possible.

Understandable - understand though that tanks aren't washed often and drive through a tonne of dust dirt and mud so will be slightly off colours until washed clean. Also, while batches of paint are made at the same factories variations will still happen. Also, some will be brand new and othes will have been out in the sun for a while.

Lance

Another thing;  I put together the M5 half tracks and I can't figure out what models go on what %#$&@!* bases for the motor platoon.  :confused  Do I just try to match the silhouette's on the army list?
You know I started a brand new thread so you could post pictures as I cannot help you with this one as I cannot see what you are talking about. However, I am guessing that you are trying to match up what is ion the platoon with the book - yes, use the silouettes. However, don't put 5 guys on the base = unnessasry & very crowded -> 4 is enough.

Kage

I do everything with an airbrush.   Prime, base coat, camouflage, and Varnish.

The only thing I do by hand is fine details of the model, and highlights.

For tanks I actually prime with the basecoat colour or a flat white if i'm running out of the basecoat colour. 

All with Tamia paints.  And I thin my paint with windex.

X-51 most closely matches the Russian Uniform 924 Vallego colour that Battlefront suggests for British Tank colours.  If you don't like it, it is very easy to mix paint for airbrushing.

Here is the latest thing I airbrushed;
Grey and Green camo is done with an airbrush, the detail and highlights are done with a brush.
The black lines are done with a Tech Pen.

Lance

Quote from: Kage on June 18, 2014, 11:59:33 AM

All with Tamia paints.  And I think my paint with windex.
Interesting would never have "thought" that ;)