Flames of War - Q&A

Started by Kage, March 07, 2011, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kage

Quote from: squalie on January 06, 2013, 02:16:36 PM
Ok, I'm going to say pretty much everything I said in the first post almost 2 years ago.  I have the Warhammer armies I need and I'd like to get into FoW.

As I said originally, I want to play British, and Canadians specifically if possible.  I have the 3rd ed mini rulebook, and noticed that the Canadian 3rd armourd Division army box set is no longer available.  How would I find one and is it even necessary?  Can I just piece it together?  I'm thinking maybe there would be a more friendly Canadian list anyways as maybe some of those units are poo.

I'm talking out of ignorance as the only game I've ever watched was the one with you and Dean a couple years ago Curtis.  I know NOTHING about the game and even less about what units to buy to make a fun Canadian/British list.  But, as I said there are a few good fellows in Saskatoon and Regina playing and I want to be a part of it.

Any more advice for a Canadian newbie would be awesome.

There are some very good Canadian lists now.  Canadian specific lists.  Not just add or subtract points if you want to use Canadians.
But there are no Canadian specific models.  Never have been.

Even the 3rd Canadian box set didn't have Canadian specific figs in it.  They were all British.
The way you distinguish the Canadians is by painting.  Their uniforms were British but they were a bit different colour because they used fabric from Canada.  If your eye-site is good enough you can also paint Canadian patches on the arms.  The tanks will be painting the same as British tanks, but they will have Canadian markings on them.

I've been working on some Canadian lists, I can help you with one, and then help you figure out which units you need to buy.

Lance also plays Canadians and he can also help you with that.  I believe he may even be hosting a tournament in February.

I should have you over for a game I actually haven't played in a few months.  The game has changed a lot since last time we played.

squalie

I'm heading to Saskatoon this weekend and I have some store credit to burn. What are some "for sure" units I could buy in regards to British units? You know - the good stuff. ;)

Kage

Turning Tide (D-Day) is the book you want.  Or North Africa for Mid War Canadians.

British Rifle Platoons (at least 2 or 3)
British Armoured Platoon (comes with 4 Shermans and 1 firefly.)
British Machine gun platoon
6 lb or 17 lb Anti-tank gun platoon
Field Battery, Royal Artillery (25 lb'ers)

that should be a good start.

Lance

Really enjoy playing the 4th Armoured Green machine & the Regina Rifles (have both).
Market Garden is due this weekend as is Bridge by Bridge - two new books full of 'new' lists. In Market Garden there appears to be a new CV Canadian Armoured list - think it's the South Alberta Regiment with Fireflies!
There is a tournament in Saskatoon this very weekend and Kage is correct there is a tournament in Regina this Febuary. However, if you are looking to get back into the game sooner we are having a Total War game next Saturday (the 19th) at Tramps here in town. I could loan you some Canadians - say, 2k worth?

squalie

I read about the Market Garden book today and decided to see what was in there before purchasing.  BUT, I am in Saskatoon this weekend, at the Den on Saturday to have a Warhammer game.  Maybe I won't be playing a game as there may be no space, but I'll be able to watch so this will be perfect.  I'll also make the tourney in Regina I think but may be in the Toon again on the 19th.

How many guys at the Den this weekend?  If it's full I won't bother bringing my Warhammer stuff, I'll just spend some time watching.

Thanks for the help lads!

Lance

Sounds great- would love to have you at the tournament in February! The Regina tournament is free but lists (1780) are required 1 week prior (gives me a chance to review any special rules and see where the Axis Allies #'s are = as red on blue games are preferred)
The tournament in Saskatoon is not full as far as I know. Lists (1780) are not required prior and there is a $15.00 buy in - Jeff is hosting the event.
Any chance you are able to make the Total War game on the 19th - no, wait it seems you are back in Saskatoon that weekend. To bad great way to meet some of the gang, get back into the swing, and no pressure.
Also, if you pick up the Turning Tide book this weekend --> when they bring it out again (updated) this summer you get it for 1/2 off...or, you could wait for the new one.
Also, here is a link you might find useful:
http://sask.games/index.php?topic=2328.0

Lance

Quote from: squalie on January 09, 2013, 07:38:30 PM
I am in Saskatoon this weekend, at the Den on Saturday to have a Warhammer game. How many guys at the Den this weekend?  If it's full I won't bother bringing my Warhammer stuff, I'll just spend some time watching.

How was the Den this past weekend?

squalie

I never made it up.  I ended up working for the weekend and missed a bunch of Warhammer and FoW.  How did the event go?

I'm going up the 26th and I'm going to pick up some things that are on the list Curtis wrote.  I'm also trading on Bartertown for some British FoW stuff.  I have a guy that has 6 Sherman III's.  Could I use those or do they have to be Sherman V's?  I'm guessing people generally play late war?

Here's a link to an example of what he showed me. http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=185513

Kage

you can use III's.  A sherman is a sherman.

The difference in numbers were usually things like how they made the metal, like casted or rolled plate.
I think some were also Gasoline while others were Diesel.

More specifically the Sherman V was longer then the Sherman III because the engine was different or something.
Can't remember.

but as far as FOW is concerned, the stats are the same. I think... :D

squalie

So, just to be clear - there is no Sherman V model and a seperate Sherman III model?  Shermans come in boxes and then you just designate what they are, except for Fireflies that have the bigger barrel?  If that's the case, I'll make the trade.  He also mentioned he had the following:

I have 3-4 platoons of Cromwells with Firefly support, Sextons, Kangaroos, and 1 Sherman platoon. Also have some Canadian inf.... Unpainted I have Bren carriers, CW inf, and the big Brit boom boom artillery, (will have to check the box as its a discontinued box set.)