• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
  • BGG ID: Bixby
  • Name: Matt Robertson
Game: Survive! (2-4 Players)
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
Survive!
This is the thread to discuss the game of Survive!, any variants, likes, dislikes, etc.

Description
Survive is a cutthroat game where players seek to evacuate their pieces from an island that is breaking up, while remembering where their highest-valued pieces are located to maximize their score.

An island made up of 40 hex-tiles is slowly sinking into the ocean (as the tiles are removed from the board). Each player controls ten people (valued from 1 to 6) that they try and move towards the safety of the surrounding islands before the main island finally blows up. Players can either swim or use boats to travel but must avoid sea serpents, whales and sharks on their way to safety.

Survive is very similar to Escape from Atlantis with some key differences.

Survive was reprinted as "Survive: Escape from Atlantis!" by publisher Stronghold Games in December, 2010. The reprint contains the game Survive, as well as all the extra pieces needed in order to play the game as "Escape from Atlantis".

Board Game Geek Entry
Click Here

Expansions
Survive! The Giant Squid

Resources
N/A

Videos
Drakkenstrike's Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Components Breakdown Video Review in HD

Member Ratings Based on rating system located Here
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: Matt Robertson Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0: :0: Guy Ouellette Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0: :0: Dana Tillusz Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0: :0: Chad Boudreau Rating
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:07:14 PM by ChadBoudreau »
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
Re: Game: Survive!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:31:55 PM »
Here are some variants that we play with for the game. Paraphrased from BoardGameGeek...

With Friends Like These, Who Needs Anemones
So while you are playing, if you caused someone to die either through tile draw (Whirlpool or being dropped on the heads of sharks/sea serpents) or being consumed by sea serpents/sharks or other such wanton calamity during the course of the game, you take that meeple into your possession. Make sure not to look at the number on the bottom of the meeple.

If the game ends in a draw, then tally the body count that you have collected. The person with the highest kill total is then considered the winner.

Feeding Frenzy
This variant requires a small red glass bead to use as a blood marker. This variant adds a new challenge to the game. Whenever a boat is with meeples in it is consumed by a Sea Serpent or capsized by a whale, some blood enters the water at that location and blood will begin to attract sharks. Immediately move the red bead to the location where this occured. At the beginning of the next turn all sharks currently on the board move 1 space towards the blood tile. Sharks always take the quickest route towards blood tile. If two sea spaces are equidistant from the blood tile the person whose turn it is gets to decide which hex to go through. Sharks will continue to move toward the blood tile at the beginning of all subsequent turns. Sharks can be moved off course with creature die rolls and shark movement tiles but they will still continue to move towards the blood tile at the start of the next turn. When the first shark enters the space with the blood marker, a feeding frenzy occurs. Remove all meeples in that hex. Note that dolphines do not protect you from a feeding frenzy. A player on the blood tile who has a shark defensive tile can play it to remove any sharks that would have otherwise entered the hex and caused a feeding frenzy that turn.

Persistent Whirpools
Just an idea for a minor variant. We like to leave the whirlpools on the board after they're revealed. The usual rules apply but if a meeple or boat stops next to a whirlpool then it gets sucked in (you can still move through the neighbouring spaces as long as you don't stop in them). If you are dropped into any of the spaces next to a whirlpool (by having the tile swiped from beneath you) then you have to move on your next turn or get sucked in. Sharks etc. can stop next to whirlpools but can't be intentionally swum through the whirlpool tile.

Guy Ouellette

• View Profile
    • Flashcubes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Awesome game last night  We all tied :-)  Please rate this game for me as an 8

Thanks

Guy

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »
I used to love this game.  I owned it when I was a kid.

SaskGamesAdmin

• "Life is Short; Play Games."
    • View Profile
    • SaskGames
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
I used to love this game.  I owned it when I was a kid.
The new version is very well done.

Dana_Tillusz

• bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »
A new favourite!

:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0: :0:
Snikt!

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
I taught Breton the game a couple nights ago. (He's 5.) He enjoyed it a lot, especially since he won the first game. We had a tie game but with the "With Friends Like These..." rules Breton took the victory. We played our second game this afternoon. We added the dolphins and dive dice AND the giant squid expansion. Breton was a big fan of the giant squid. A couple highlights from our game: Breton pulled a whirlpool that sucked in a boat that had two of his people and one of mine. I pulled a whirlpool earlier that sucked in a sea serpent, shark, and one of my guys that was being protected by a dolphin. And lastly, I used a giant squid to pull one of Breton's people out a boat that was one tile away from a safe island. The very next turn Breton used the same giant squid to pull my guy out of the very same boat. Oh how he laughed!

As an aside, we added a little house "rule" ourselves. Breton didn't think a giant squid would eat people. He said, "I thought they threw you." So when a giant squid grabs a person off the island or out of a boat in our house, we pretend the giant squid chucks the person-- perhaps even to a hungry shark a few tiles away!  :)  Good times.  I'm sure his mother would be mortified!  :)

Dana_Tillusz

• bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »
I taught Breton the game a couple nights ago. (He's 5.) He enjoyed it a lot, especially since he won the first game. We had a tie game but with the "With Friends Like These..." rules Breton took the victory. We played our second game this afternoon. We added the dolphins and dive dice AND the giant squid expansion. Breton was a big fan of the giant squid. A couple highlights from our game: Breton pulled a whirlpool that sucked in a boat that had two of his people and one of mine. I pulled a whirlpool earlier that sucked in a sea serpent, shark, and one of my guys that was being protected by a dolphin. And lastly, I used a giant squid to pull one of Breton's people out a boat that was one tile away from a safe island. The very next turn Breton used the same giant squid to pull my guy out of the very same boat. Oh how he laughed!

As an aside, we added a little house "rule" ourselves. Breton didn't think a giant squid would eat people. He said, "I thought they threw you." So when a giant squid grabs a person off the island or out of a boat in our house, we pretend the giant squid chucks the person-- perhaps even to a hungry shark a few tiles away!  :)  Good times.  I'm sure his mother would be mortified!  :)

Awesome, Chad. I can't wait to have a game with you and Breton.
Snikt!

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
You got it, Dana! Breton would love that.

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »

Priceless!! That is awesome Chad, thanks for sharing.