swoop_ds

• View Profile
  • Name: Dave Schmidt
18 Player Mega Civ Event
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »

September 23rd 8:00am
Saskatoon Evangelical Free Church
3102 Laurier Dr, Saskatoon, SK

Are you looking for a day long board game extravaganza??  How about 8000 years of history cramed into one day??  We will be playing “Mega Civilization”, an 18 player version of the classic game Civilization.  The admission fee is $20, which goes towards the Play With Your Food Charity Event in support of Souls Harbour.  Coffee and water will be provided, but please bring a potluck item for lunch as well as snacks/drinks for the day.  At supper time we will decide what to do about food (we will likely order pizza or some other take out food).  In order to register for the event, please contact me via PM, or visit my team's donation page and make a donation (Make sure to mark that it is for the Mega Civ event), the link is: http://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages/2017-pwyf-all-over-the-board/ .   Cash on the day of also works but online payment is preferred.  As people register, I will add their names below.

Game description:
Mega Civilization, a huge version of the legendary development game Civilization, a game of skill for 5 to 18 players covering the historical development of ancient civilizations from just after the last Ice Age to the dawn of the new era at the end of the Iron Age — a time span of almost 8,000 years. Each player leads their own civilization as it tries to expand its culture over a map board that stretches from the Mediterranean Sea to India.

A brief rules explanation by yours truly can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaFJdcxlTs

This is the list of attendees so far:
1. David Schmidt
2. Jason Schmidt
3. Brent Pollock
4. Tyler R.
5. Shane R.
6. Dan W
7. Andrew W
8. Noah V.
9. - 18. . .

Some Other information, for those interested

What to Bring:

Potluck Item for lunch - Feel free to bring a slow cooker if you'd like but I cannot say for certain how many outlets (and breakers) we will be able to use. There will be a fridge that we can put stuff in if your item needs to stay cool. Water bottle / drinks for yourself (non-alcoholic) - we will have coffee on and there will be water available but if you want pop/bottled water, please bring your own.
Comfortable clothing - (costume optional!) - you will be sitting/standing/milling about for upwards of twelve hours, dress accordingly. I will probably be 'in costume' and you're welcome to dress up as well if you're so inclined.
Cell charger / laptop / electronics - if you have stuff that you can't live without, or need to be able to check emails and such, feel free to bring electronics along
Cash / Cheque / Credit Card - the event costs $20, which goes towards the PWYF charity initiative for Souls Harbour. I can take cash/cheque and if you donate online you can pay with credit card. There is also the possibility of us ordering pizza/take out for supper, so having cash on hand would be helpful for that.

Venue Information
We are being hosted by the 'Saskatoon Evangelical Free Church'
Address: 3102 Laurier Dr, Saskatoon
The venue is allowing us to use the space free of charge so we will need to pick up after ourselves and it is important to be respectful of the room.

General Tips/Tricks/Tid Bits of Knowledge

We will be doing a rules explanation and picking our nations/colours at 8am on Saturday. Please read the rules beforehand if at all possible.

This game is not a traditional war game - battles are very costly for both parties. You win or lose the game on how well you can trade your commodities and buy civilization advances. If you come expecting a traditional war game you will be in for a surprise.

To go along with the above, the trading sessions will be timed at 10 minutes. This is to move things along in an efficient manner. You win the game by trading early, and trading often!

We can accomodate 'walk ins' on the day of, but I'd much rather know in advance if you're bringing someone unexpected to the event. The decks/map have to be prepared in advance based on player count so the more notice you give me the better.

And finally, the game is expected to be about 8-12 hours. Please come prepared for THAT!

Dave's Contact info:
If you need to get ahold of me for any reason, it's best to text or call.
Cell phone: 306.501.7537 Home phone: 306.725.4975
email: dave@lastmountainphotography.com
(I also respond quickly to PMs on Saskgames or to posts in this thread)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:22:08 AM by swoop_ds »

swoop_ds

• View Profile
Re: 18 Player Mega Civ Event
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
Added Brent Pollock and Curtis Swekla...

Jolo

• View Profile
    • ToonCon
  • BGG ID: Xlyce
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »
Added Brent Pollock and Curtis Swekla...

Kurtis

Jolo

• View Profile
    • ToonCon
  • BGG ID: Xlyce
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
Good luck guys! I think I am out of town that weekend.

swoop_ds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
Added Shane R to da list

Cordawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »
i might be intrested im from regina so I might come up in the morning and then stay the night

swoop_ds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
Hey Cory,
I've marked you down as a maybe for now, let me know once you know!
Dave

Cordawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
I relaized that pgx is the same day so I am out

swoop_ds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
We're up to nine people, so it's slowly getting "Mega" . . . but there's still room for YOU!

Tyler R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
Hey Guys,

Add me into slot 10.

I am a friend of Shanes.

Thx.