XIA: Legends of a Drift System - Parallel Universes

Started by Bix Conners, October 03, 2016, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bix Conners

This thread is to work on the parallel universe rule set for the game XIA: Legends of a Drift System.

This is a fan expansion to the game. These rules are for games with multiple sets where two groups are playing the game and the universes are linked allowing players to migrate from one game map to the other. Below are the listed of vetted and finalized rules.

NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Bix Conners

Here are some working ideas for the parallel universe rule set:

Whenever a player rolls a "2" on a d20 they are potentially going to get caught in a space rift that sends them to the other game board. Indicate this by placing a flag or marker in front of that player. If another player on the same game board later rolls a "2" on a d20, move the marker to that player. The space rift is fully triggered when the second game table has a player who rolls a "2". When that happens, the rift is open and the player on each game board with the rift marker is pulled through the rift and switch game boards.

They take their ship and ship abilities.
They retain their space credits.
They lose their any bounty placed on them.
They retain their cargo.
They lose any mission cards they were working on.
They retain past completed mission cards.
They assume the color of the person they switch with on the new board.
Adjust the victory point track of each player so they retain all of their fame points.

NeikeDjour

We played without retaining cargo this time, or do you mean equipment by this and not resources?

I would actually like to try a game of it where you do retain resources. It makes your final turn on the board your playing a bit more meaningful to try to scrounge for resources before you're shot off to another universe. "Let me just grab some of this... you never know when it might come in handy." -Frugal Xia Captain Nik
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

Bix Conners

Quote from: NeikeDjour on October 03, 2016, 02:24:35 PM
We played without retaining cargo this time, or do you mean equipment by this and not resources?

I would actually like to try a game of it where you do retain resources. It makes your final turn on the board your playing a bit more meaningful to try to scrounge for resources before you're shot off to another universe. "Let me just grab some of this... you never know when it might come in handy." -Frugal Xia Captain Nik

Yes, I wrote this up as a change based on the post game conversation. :)

Bricktown

"They assume the color of the person they switch with on the new board. "

As much as it was funny to watch Matt strand Greg in the Sanitary shield, I think it would be better to have the person reappear on the same tile but in a not so compromising space.  I think a better spot would be same tile but on the mission space.  The switching player is already losing their missions so I think it balances better if they can start on a space that doesn't comprise their first turn in the new universe
Always open to trades, check out my collection

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/BrickTown

NeikeDjour

I wouldn't even mind being shot completely onto the new board, roll a D20 and find out where you land, like when you die. While shooting into a new universe right in the middle of a dogfight seems completely likely, the player you're switching with has the power to put you there before they leave on purpose should they roll the '2' early on in their turn.

Bix Conners

I like the d20 roll for re-entry. Probably the most fair.

Bix Conners

December 2016 Version of the rule set

Whenever a player rolls a "2" on a d20 they are potentially going to get caught in a space rift that sends them to the other game board. Indicate this by placing a flag or marker in front of that player. If another player on the same game board later rolls a "2" on a d20, move the marker to that player. The space rift is fully triggered when the second game table has a player who rolls a "2". When that happens, the rift is open and the player on each game board with the rift marker is pulled through the rift and switch game boards.

They take their ship and ship abilities.
They retain their space credits.
They retain their cargo.
They retain past completed mission cards.

They lose any bounty placed on them.
They lose any mission cards they were working on.

They assume the color of the person they switch with on the new board.
Adjust the victory point track of each player so they retain all of their fame points.
The players each roll a d20 to see where they appear on the opposite board.

If a player who gets transported to an alternative universe, later gets transported back to their home universe, they are a famous rift navigator and gain 2 Fame Points.

BE SURE TO GET GAME COMPONENTS FOR EACH GAME PROPERLY SEPARATED.

NeikeDjour

craftybernardo

The rift navigator is a good idea.  You could also make some custom titles for rift jumpers, for example: finish a mission (or 2/3 if 1 becomes to easy) in each universe, or trade X amount of cubes in each universe.