Warmachine - Journeyman League Kickoff!

Started by milothewise, January 13, 2016, 01:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milothewise

Hey all! We Warmachiners are going to try and be a bigger presence here, since we've been kind of standoffish, keeping to ourselves on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/westerimmoren/). We play on Wednesday evenings at Comic Readers.

If you're unfamiliar with Warmachine, it is a tactical miniatures game in a steampunk setting called the Iron Kingdoms. You field an army led by a Warcaster or Warlock that controls big stompy robots or big stompy monsters. You win a game either by taking control of key parts of the board or by killing your opponents Warcaster/Warlock. Small games can be played in 30-45 minutes, and larger games take up to 2 hours (if you're using a clock, which is standard in competitive play. When you get started you take as long as you need to activate your army). Combat is a pretty straightforward 2d6 system - roll the dice, add your modifier, and compare to the target number. All the relevant stats are listed on a card for each model on which you also mark damage, so rules references and such are super simple.

Also, all the rules are free and available online (although individual model rules are not):
Quick start rules: http://privateerpress.com/files/WarmachineMKII%20Quick%20Start%20Rules%20Front.pdf
Full game rules: http://files.privateerpress.com/articles/freerules/Prime%20MKII_eBook_free.pdf

Starting tonight, January 13th, we're going to be kicking off our Journeyman League, which will run for 6 weeks on Wednesdays at Comic Readers Downtown, and culminate with a tournament on the 27th of February. If you're interested in checking out the game, or want to get started, this is a great time! Each week the games get incrementally larger, so you get a chance to step up your play gradually. You get points for wins, losses, and models painted, and there are a sweet set of patches you earn for hitting various benchmarks. It was a ton of fun last time we ran it.

Feel free to ask questions of any of us on a Wednesday night. We're pretty approachable (I'm Nick IRL), and this game is awesome. We'd love to keep growing our community here!

I'm going to return and update periodically with pictures and battle reports when I can so even if you can't make it on a Wednesday you can get a sense of how the game looks and plays. Many of us meet up on weekends to play as well, either at a store or at someone's house, because addictions are fun for everybody. Drop us a line if you're interested in a game, or swing by and pester us on a Wednesday!

Lance

It is interesting to see how many 'closet gamers' there are.
Best of luck to you & your group!
And, if you interested in historical battles we do Flames of War Demos the first Wednesday of every month, tournaments every second month, & large events once a quarter - drop me a line -> cigamnogard@sasktel.net