Upcoming Flames of War Events in Regina Area: 2016

Started by Lance, December 11, 2015, 08:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

Quote from: Lance on December 11, 2015, 08:26:24 AM
Demonstration Game / Total War ->Tour of Duty
Title: Khe Sanh
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
December 17th - 1030am to 1630 (1030am to 430pm)
♣1,650 point armies (no restrictions on lists)
* please send lists 2 weeks prior to game day to cigamnogard@sasktel.net
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126&afv=topic&aff=14&aft=573793

Khe Sanh
December 17th, 2016
By Lance Mathew

I have said it before – and I am sure that I will say it again - the Vietnam Flames of War era is a beer and pretzels game.  What I mean by that it is the most laid back and casual game experience: the Nationalists, Việt cộng and PAVN, mostly auto respawn; in slight contrast to the Free World's players who mostly are wounded instead of KIA. Personally, I feel the Vietnam era is more suited for a larger game experience compared to one on one games. And, on the coldest day of the year @ -30 degrees we assembled at Tramp's Comics and Games!

Both of our American players, Michael and Chris, were unable to attend because of family commitments – probably had something to do with the date of the event (silly organizer).  Brody (aka Mini-me) was in Saskatoon visiting his mother; however I had arranged a substitute for Brody – Alex.  Yet, I was not able to arrange any American substitute (I got close but his dog blew her stitches = ouch!).  So three 1650 Nationalist lists from Sean, Matt, and Alex versus two ANZAC lists (Jace & mine) had me just bump up the Free World's points up to even.

We were a little crammed into Tramp's as there was an eighteen man 40K Elimination Tournament going on so were delegated to the Front of the store – if not for the cold would have been a perfect spot to show off the Vietnam Era for Flames of War. With a fully prepared Firebase on the centre table and chuppas  flying high it attracted everyone's eyes as they came into the store.   

"Charlie's on the wire!" took on the appropriate meaning as the Đặc Công (PAVN Special Tasks Force) blew most of the 'southern' barbwire on their first turn. Of course this was my sector to defend and I saw it coming when both Matt and Sean rolled their Guerrilla reserves for their Đặc Công on to my quarter of the table. Sean's Đặc Công successfully assaulted into a beehive artillery piece and a few other nasties and was succeeded in killing two guns but was pinned from a counter assault. That pin would continue for the next two turns and would in the end, in my opinion, cost the Nationalists the game.

Elsewhere, Alex and Matt were overly cautious in their deployment and attacks. In Alex's defense it was his first game of Vietnam Flames of War and he had deployed a little too far back to contribute with both the Darkness and tall Elephant grass rules nullifying his horde advantage.  Meanwhile, Matt ran into an issue of where to put all of his stuff. Allowing the ANZAC to concentrate their fire on his higher tech 'advantage' as Matt plays the Ironclad list (T55s and other mechanized assets).

Every turn Jace and I hammered and blasted away with everything we could. Our reserves were an entire table away and could not hope to arrive in time to participate in the battle – we had taken a look at the lay of the land and changed from delayed reserves to reserves. Meanwhile, chuppas and off board artillery rained fire upon everything they see. The Nationalists made the average number of infantry saves and a high number of tank and SP AA saves leaving the Free Worlds in an undesirable position. But, eventually the Nationalists were contained – if only Sean's mostly intact Đặc Công would rush the closest objective and claim it.

But it was not to be - it had been a great day - we managed to have a lunch break across at Beer Brothers and roll a tonne of dice! Thanks again for everyone who braved the cold and played the last Flames of War Event for 2016. We will see you all next year! The next event is Total War (team Game) Stalingrad on January 7th 2017!

For what actually happened at the battle - please see the below link:

http://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/battle-of-khe-sanh