Possible games for Chewsday Challenge

Started by lifeofturner, September 01, 2015, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCStyles

I've owned Mage Knight for a few years now but haven't had a chance to play it yet.  Would defiantly like to learn sometime.
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

craftybernardo

Quote from: DCStyles on September 18, 2015, 12:32:01 AM
I've owned Mage Knight for a few years now but haven't had a chance to play it yet.  Would defiantly like to learn sometime.
I can teach you sometime Derek.  In fact this coming Tuesday (22nd) if you aren't already committed to something

DCStyles

Quote from: craftybernardo on September 18, 2015, 12:43:29 AM
I can teach you sometime Derek.  In fact this coming Tuesday (22nd) if you aren't already committed to something

Yeah I haven't signed up for anything yet, that'd be great.  I'm good for any start time.
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

craftybernardo

Quote from: DCStyles on September 18, 2015, 03:36:31 PM
Quote from: craftybernardo on September 18, 2015, 12:43:29 AM

Yeah I haven't signed up for anything yet, that'd be great.  I'm good for any start time.
Excellent, I will put us on the schedule for a 6:30 start

Bryce Robinson

I can teach you both Russian Railroads and Aquasphere sometime. Maybe not in the same night.

Quote from: lifeofturner on September 01, 2015, 10:58:28 AM
Hey, I know there was an old thread about games at Chewsday Challenge, but it was getting a bit long, so I thought I would start a new thread just for this fall. Here are some of the games I would like to see played sometime (mostly because I want to try them myself):

Amun-Re
AquaSphere
Barony
Core Worlds
Hawaii
Luna
Merkator
Russian Railroads
Temporum
The Voyages of Marco Polo
I take requests. See my collection here. http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/brycrbnsn

lifeofturner

Seeing as there are no other leagues currently running during Chewsday Challenge this fall, I'm trying to get a sense of interest in a Race for the Galaxy league. (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28143/race-galaxy) RftG is one of the top-rated games on BoardGameGeek, and it is a complex card-based tableau-building game that has a high entry point for learning but is very rewarding.

Here is a possible league format with eight rounds plus a tutorial that would allow league participants to play each expansion in Arc #1 and Arc #2 in addition to the recent dice-based implementation of the game, Roll for the Galaxy.

0. Tutorial
1. Base set
2. Base set with The Gathering Storm
3. Base set with The Gathering Storm and Rebel vs. Imperium (no takeovers)
4. Base set with The Gathering Storm, Rebel vs. Imperium (no takeovers), and The Brink of War
5. Base set with Alien Artifacts (cards only)
6. Base set with Alien Artifacts and Orb Exploration
7. Roll for the Galaxy
8-10. Finals (3 rounds, format TBD)

Each round would be worth a maximum of 4 points for the winner, for a possible total of 40 points. Rounds would most likely take place at Chewsday Challenge, but league participants could arrange for an alternate time if they cannot play on Tuesday. The league would start on October 4 and conclude on December 6 or 13, with the pace being one round per week with a couple of make-up weeks in the mix. Players could also arrange to play a tutorial round before playing the round for points. (Games will take between 30 and 45 minutes, so two rounds can easily be played starting at 8:30 pm.)

The cost of the league would be $20, and the winner will receive a gift certificate for Comic Readers to purchase the expansion (or base set) of their choice. All proceeds would go to this year's Play with Your Food.

This post is intended to see how many people would actually be interested in participating in this league. The minimum for it to succeed is 8 to 10 people, and the maximum would be dependent on how many sets of the game people are able to provide. I can provide RftG and the expansions, so we would need at least one more copy of each expansion and two copies of Roll for the Galaxy to make the league work (or we would have to stagger when participants play on Tuesday night on the one available set).

If you are interested, please let me know ASAP so that the final league details can be finalized to start on October 4.
"The play's the thing, wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king." - Hamlet

lifeofturner

Just wondering if there are 3 other players who want to go in for the cost of Pandemic: Legacy and play through it over the next few months. Since it's a disposable game, I figured it would be better to split the cost four ways and pay $15-$20 each. Who's in?
"The play's the thing, wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king." - Hamlet

Cordawg

GreyLurker

Kingdom Death: Monster has finally arrived. 

I've started painting the figures and I am looking to bring it to Chewsday

Thing is it is a Campaign Style co-op game, so that would mean multiple game sessions over several weeks to play.  My initial thinking is to bring it once a month on a regular schedual (say the Third week of each month).  It would be a bit later in the evening (say around 7:30 or 8:00) for about 2 hours a game session.

Should be noted however that this game does not want people to win and that brutal horrible death and madness await.

Bix Conners

I own everything commercially released for Dominion. I would like to have a couple of dominion nights where all I play is Dominion. The game can accommodate up to 6 players. I am curious if there is any interest in this at ChewsDay Challenge.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.