Play by Forum - The Quiet Year

• 5 Replies

swoop_ds

• View Profile
  • Name: Dave Schmidt
Play by Forum - The Quiet Year
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »
Any interest in a game of "The Quiet Year"?  It think it lends itself pretty well to be played via forum as you can't openly discuss things once the game has started (unless you take a discussion action) and all you need to do is tell a story and draw on a map.  Here is a brief overview:
----
For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. But now, we’ve driven them off, and we have this – a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our community up and learn once again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might not survive beyond that. But we don’t know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.
----
The Quiet Year is a map game. You define the struggles of a post-apocalyptic community, and attempt to build something good within their quiet year. Every decision and every action is set against a backdrop of dwindling time and rising concern.

The game is played using a deck of cards – each of the 52 cards corresponds to a week during the quiet year. Each card triggers certain events – bringing bad news, good omens, project delays and sudden changes in luck. At the end of the quiet year, the Frost Shepherds will come, ending the game.
----
Any interest in this one guys?  I'd also love to play this sometime at one of the gaming events if anyone is interested.
-Dave

Lance

• View Profile
Re: Play by Forum - The Quiet Year
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
I might be interested - do I have to get a deck?

swoop_ds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
I'm not sure the best way to make the deck mechanic work.  I think we could get away with me just posting which card we reveal each turn.  I got the idea from this thread:
https://rpggeek.com/thread/1193715/quietly-learning-year-ooc

I was thinking we could do a format similar to theirs.

swoop_ds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »

swoop_ds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »
I ordered the quiet year in print form but I also get a copy of the pdf as part of the transaction. I'm supposed to receive the link to the pdf shortly.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we can start the play by forum whenever.  Preferably with 3-5 players, so I'll wait and see!
-Dave

bluetanso

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
I'd like to play by forum / email?

Hugh