Warhammer Age of Sigmar-discussion

• 13 Replies

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
Warhammer Age of Sigmar-discussion
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:58:43 PM »
looks like the updated rules/battlescrolls for Age of Sigmar are up on the GW website. Thought I would start a discussion thread just to see general opinions on the new system. I for one am liking the update, it is more streamlined and there's less fussy stuff with forming an army and playing a game. It might also be too simple for some and might keep those players in 8th edition. I will likely play both 8th and AOS but depends on what the league ends up promoting.

Mark

• View Profile
Re: Warhammer Age of Sigmar-discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
I am waiting till I get my hands on it and read through everything.  I am hoping it doesn't simplify things too greatly(or turn it into a skirmish game). 

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Hate to say it Mark but the new rules do both, it's basically a charge and fight kind of game. Maneuvering is non existent and games are won in close combat. I plan on building my newer dwarf kits so they can participate in both 8th and AOS. But don't despair there has been word of a "big battles" expansion in the future.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
Oh and all the rules and army updates are on the GW website

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
Gah . . . in that case anyone interested in a chaos army  :confused whats thew point of them moving Fantasy closer to the playstyle of 40K  :confused

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
Ok I have read over the rules(whole 4 pages) as well as the "warscrolls" and WTF. . . here are some of my initial thoughts now that I have slept on it.  Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading(assuming anyone actually makes it through this manifesto)

Warhammer Fantasy as a game is either over and the end times really were the end times or at the very least it is on pause.

This means as a local community if we want to have fantasy games in the interim(assuming there is a 9th edition coming out at some point which I am skeptical of) we need to decide what that looks like are we playing big rule book 8th, are we playing end times 8th?  From there we can have pick up games and what have you, that being said any talk of a real league is null and void in my opinion as the product needed to play 8th is disappearing and there is no point in investing into what appears to be a dead system at this time(product selection is limited on the GW site, Army books don't exist, etc.)

Age of Sigmar(AOS) is a new stand alone game,  I don't think this game can be looked at as fantasy or compared to fantasy.  It is a new game with new rules.  Is what is available on the site currently the full rules or is this the "Beta" time will tell.  I am open to playing AOS but that being said in order to do so we need to come up with some type of army composition rules for the time being as there are no point values or army composition rules available at this time.  on a side note I think playing the AOS starter armies is likely the best approach to figure out how this game plays(wither it is with the actual models or proxied).  The glaring problem with where AOS is at right now is that every community will be coming up with their own composition rules as we have no guidance from GW at this time, meaning the online community will be very fragmented.  These rules are super simple so games should be quick and it should be very easy to understand which is good for pulling in new people(assuming the game is good and we create a local community to support it)

I have lost alot of faith in GW through this move on the heels of the end times.  There are a ton of sick models that came out and a bunch of interesting rules that came out and then the game ended(or is on pause).  From my perspective as the end times stuff was coming out it appeared to be a ramp up to 9th.  With the release of AOS and the removal of the Warhammer Fantasy header on GW site as well as products related to Fantasy it appears that is not the case.  It looks like the models were castings they had prepped for 9th but due to market conditions they decided not to release 9th and rather released AOS.  From reading over the rules and model releases related to AOS it is likely GW would be able to create such a product/rule set in a very short time frame so it is likely this wasn't something that existed for a long time in their release schedule(if you look at the amount of work that went into end times there is a TON of new content and a TON of product they would have to design, proof and order.  If you look at AOS it is an online rule set that they could come up with in an afternoon and a box release that looks like a mix of 40K and Fantasy). 

I think GW needs to do a significantly better job at informing the community of what is going on in order to restore faith(I am certain I am not the only one who looks at it this way).  As myself being someone who was putting a substantial financial investment into GW products(I have all the White Dwarf since the new format, all end times books, 75% of the Army Books, 75% of the 40K rule books, over 100 GW paints, multiple armies under way, all this has  been purchased in the last 2 years or so and at this point I do not want to spend a dime on any further products from them as I have no clue what kind of mileage I will get out of them.  Rather I am looking to other companies as to how to get my "geek fix".  My options as I see them are below, I don't know if this interests anyone but these are my general thoughts at the moment:

Do I sit on what I have and play 40K?
This is an option I have a Necron army that I have 90% done I need to buy about 2 kits to be playing this, it is likely I will finish this army and play it as it is until something happens to make me either invest more into GW product or sell of this army.  That being said my Tyranid Army is for sale.

Do I play AOS?
No, at this point in time the only way I think this would be an enjoyable experience is if it was a game based on the starter set armies, I am willing to proxy and play out a few games but at this time I am not willing to invest into AOS as a new game.  Given the rules released it is just too casual and loose for me to get alot of pleasure out of based on Battle Scroll armies.  If they release further rules I will look into it as they come out.

Do I play 8th/End times?
I am open to this but unfortunately with the appearance that there are no future rules coming this is a Band-Aid as none of us will have incentive to purchase new armies/expand out armies it is only possible to have so many games before they become static and we need something to shake it up.

Do I start into the privateer press miniature games(Warmachine/Hordes)?
I have been looking into this game for a while, really all that is holding me back is local support/community.  The models look phenomenal, the game appears to have a decent amount of strategy involved and as an added benefit all models ever released are still usable in this game as well as the parent company having forums and community engagement(this is important as with the GW approach we are all left out on an island right now with no clue as to what is happening with Fantasy or if it even exists any more).  This is another skirmisher game so it is not a real replacement for fantasy but is growing more appealing to myself given the moves GW has made as of late.

Do I re-invest back into Magic the gathering?
Ahhh good old cardboard crack. . .  this is the game that brought me into the gaming community both times I became involved in it.  The first time being in my early teen years where I played Magic then progressed into 40K then got a license and quit as well as recently where I got into magic, then fantasy then back into 40K and now finding myself in the situation I am in.  This game is no where near what Fantasy is but assuming the community in Regina is as it was when I left magic for GW games this is the most likely candidate to fulfill the competitive side to gaming I am looking for.  I have also been playing magic online all this time(legacy and modern) so the rules are still very fresh in my mind. 

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »
Yeah I understand everything you say Mark, there is alot of confusion and bickering on the forums and rumor websites about just what the hell is happening with the old Warhammer and the new Age of Sigmar game. I have all these new condition Dwarf sets that I was waiting to build when 9th was released, now I don't know if I want to put them towards AOS or what the hell for the one fact that there's no armylist composition rules or anything resembling something more than a bring and play system. Like you could play an opponent who could put down a unit of 100 Bloodcrushers as his first deployment, and oh yeah sure you can claim sudden death objectives but heck your not going to get it. AOS is sounding like a whoever is the richest will win kind of game. I am gonna hold off buidling an AOS Dwarf force with my new models until I see what standards GW tournaments will adhere to, or if there will be a big rulebook that adds some sort of balance to the game, cause right now I look at my models and I'm like well I could do that, but if it is neutralized after a rulebook or armybook is released?

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »
I feel like there wont be a new army book just looking at the lack of WFB on the website it seems like a major back step if you are going to then come out in 3 months or something and try to re-invigorate it.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
I heard from a couple sources that there will be a big rule book and army books containing warp scrolls. GW renamed all the races for trademark and originality purposes to separate themselves from games like Kings of War and Warthrone, as names like Orcs and Dwarfs are pretty much rip offs of anything Tolkien had written for Lord of the Rings, which he had based off of a few different mythological sagas and stories.

I think patience is the key here, good things come to those that wait. I doubt GW would kill off 8th edition for a new skirmish system and then not support that system heavily. It might have been a mistake to try to refine all the 8th Ed races to conform them to AOS when they even admitted that AOS is an entirely new thing that they want to focus on. I guess my fancy Dwarf kits will sit on the shelf in the corner of my eye until I know what to do with them. :/

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »
I dunno time will tell but looking at the site, the rumors that fantasy made up approx. 13% of GW revenue I wont be holding my breath.