Role-playing vs. Roll-playing

• 6 Replies

Alphadork

• View Profile
Role-playing vs. Roll-playing
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »

Lance - IMHO; 5th is a love letter to 1st/2nd edition with a little garnish from 3rd and 4th added in. I'm curious, what about 4th did you find that hampered/setback role-playing?

Best
The Alphadork (Kevin)
Hampered?
Set back?
 - to go from 3.5 where if you wanted to play ___ with levels of ____ that could do ____ = no problem
 - in 4.0 = no can do

Moved this to a new thread to avoid further topic hijacking

Lance, I understand the point you're making but would argue that this falls under having more or less mechanical options for characters which tends to be more of a character optimization issue instead of a role-playing one.

All you need for good role-playing is a clear vision of your character and a GM/group that is willing to engage in some shared story telling - all any given rule set provides is a frame work for the action.

I think the slow creep away from RPing in some of the D&D groups I've seen started with 3rd editions lengthy skill list. As an example, I've run events at stores where players fell back on "I roll my diplomacy" instead of engaging an NPC in actual conversation, which is (imho) the essence of role-playing.       

Lance

• View Profile
Re: Role-playing vs. Roll-playing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »
No:
1. this answers the thread that went off topic and was already closed/dead
2. you have still failed to answer the original question - which I put back on the original thread
3. I fail to see how you could simply role play any of the character creations that 3.5 tackled that 4.0 streamlined/omitted but maybe you could have answered that by explaining how you see 5.0

Alphadork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
I'm not sure which original question you mean, but if you post it again I'll give answering  it a try.

To your 3rd point, I think we define role-playing differently. For example, I wouldn't describe a character as a 6th level cleric, with 3 levels of monk and 2 levels of wizard - these are mechanical options offered by the game system, not a character description.   

I'd describe the above character as a wandering warrior priest in service of "insert campaign specific deity". He has studied some arcane magic in an effort to better combat the "insert campaign specific evil cult" that threaten his home. 

This character could be created using any edition of D&D and be role-played - what's different is how the system lets you choose mechanical options that fit your vision of the character. If you prefer the multi-class fest that was 3/3.5 all good. 4E wouldn't hamper this characters role-playing options, it would just be a different set of game mechanics used to define their capabilities.   

Will state for the record that I'm not trying to "edition war" with this discussion. there are things about every edition of D&D that I loved and hated.

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »

Will state for the record that I'm not trying to "edition war" with this discussion. there are things about every edition of D&D that I loved and hated.
Neither was I - I was looking at where/what you are like as a DM
Good luck with your group/game I have the 'unanswer' I wasn't looking for

R Newell

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »
Lance, I think you might be mixing up posters.  Alphadork isn't the person who was looking for players.

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
  • BGG ID: NeikeDjour
  • Name: Nicole Persram
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
I think Alphadork explains things really well.

Alphadork, did you enjoy 4? I played 3.5 once upon a time, but one of my friends found all of the different options overwhelming. Do you think it would be something they would enjoy more, or maybe tabletop rpgs aren't meant for them?
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
Lance, I think you might be mixing up posters.  Alphadork isn't the person who was looking for players.
Maybe a little...