Game: Settlers of Catan (3-6 Players)

• 21 Replies

Guy Ouellette

• View Profile
    • Flashcubes
Game: Settlers of Catan (3-6 Players)
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
Settlers of Catan
This is the thread to discuss the game of Settlers of Catan, any variants, likes, dislikes, etc.

Description
In Settlers of Catan, players try to be the dominant force on the island of Catan by building settlements, cities, and roads. On each turn dice are rolled to determine what resources the island produces. Players collect these resources to build up their civilizations to get to 10 victory points and win the game. Multi-award-winning and one of the most popular games in recent history due to its amazing ability to appeal to non-gamers and gamers alike.

Die Siedler von Catan was originally published by Kosmos and has gone through multiple editions. It was licensed by Mayfair and has undergone at least 4 editions as Settlers of Catan. It has also been re-published in a travel edition by Kosmos and in yet another edition for Japan/Asia, Settlers of Catan: Rockman Edition.

Settlers of Catan is the original game in the http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Catan_Series[/url]. Catan Series

Board Game Geek Entry
Settlers of Catan

Expansions
Settlers of Catan 5-6 Player Expansion
Catan Traders and Barbarians
Catan Traders and Barbarians 5-6 Player Expansion
Catan Cities and knights
Catan Cities and knights 5-6 Player Expansion
Catan Seafarers
Catan Seafarers 5-6 Player Expansion

Resources
N/A

Videos
Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan Traders and Barbarians
Cities and Knights of Catan
Settlers of Catan Seafarers
Catan 5-6 Player Expansions

Member Ratings Based on rating system located Here
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0: Dana_Tillusz Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: Guy Ouellette Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: tbrminsanity Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0: :0: Chad Boudreau Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: :0: Jon Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: :0: :0: Matt Robertson Rating
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: :0: :0: doctorb23 Rating
:1: :1: :1: :0: :0: :0: :0: :0: :0: :0: Jolo Rating
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:30:33 PM by Dana_Tillusz »

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
  • BGG ID: Bixby
  • Name: Matt Robertson
Re: Game: Settlers of Catan
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »
Put me in at 6.5 Stars. USed to like it a lot more but kind of burnt out on the game years ago.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Guy Ouellette

• View Profile
    • Flashcubes
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
Put me in at 6.5 Stars. USed to like it a lot more but kind of burnt out on the game years ago.

Just curious, did you play all expansions?  from what I read and what I have played the basic gets boring after a while and the additions( expansions) brings the game back to life.  In my case since I only played the basic with 6 players so far, so I am definitively looking forward to add 1 expansion at the time and keep the interest going as I progress through all of them

rating registered

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
  • BGG ID: Bixby
  • Name: Matt Robertson
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »
Thanks Guy.
Only played base game and maybe 1 expansion.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Dana_Tillusz

• bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »
If you want a real Settlers experience you need to play the Cities & Knights expansion. It fixes all the problems of the base game, even though you didn't really know there were problems.

Knights allow you to remove the robber from your area and move it to another hex, plus you can use them to block roads, divide roads and bully around your fellow players.

City Walls allow you to hold more Resource cards and Commodity cards in your hand (max 13, 2 extra per wall)

Plus Cities give you Commodity cards (except Brick & Wheat territories) instead of 2 resource cards. You use these cards to gain specialty cards for free that you can to purchase in the base game.

When we played Settlers alot, we only played with this expansion. Even if you were boxed into a small area you could still compete in the game because there are many ways to gain Victory points.

:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :0:
Snikt!

Guy Ouellette

• View Profile
    • Flashcubes
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:10:30 AM »
Thanks Dana for passing on  some explanation on the expansions.  I personally only played basic game so far, but I am looking ( for Christmas wish list) to expand to Seafarers and Cities and Knights. I agree with you that the basic game can be slow if you get cornered and do not have much of a chance to expand.

Thanks

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
Put me down for 8 stars! I played quite a bit of Settlers at Dana's house. I believe Settlers of the Stone Age was one of the first games he introduced Shelley and I to.

Jolo

• View Profile
    • ToonCon
  • BGG ID: Xlyce
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
Here is where I really part company with you guys:
 :1: :1: :1: :0: :0: :0: :0: :0: :0: :0:

I can't stand this game. When I first played it I though to myself "Self, if this is the best German game, then I don't think much of them."

WBRP

• View Profile
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:50:07 AM »
I forgot to mention the other night during our Settlers discussion (that took off on my Starfarers tangent), that I prefer the base game being played with the deck (the one that comes with Traders & Barbarians) in lieu of the dice.
Share & Enjoy!

tbrminsanity

• Have fun, play games!
    • View Profile
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »
 :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0:

I really like Settlers of Catan.  It is one of the only games I can play with my wife and "geek" friends at the same time and everyone has a good time.  One of the more interesting ideas I've seen with this game is to have a pizza party where you create the Catan board with various pizza toppings, then use peppers (and an olive for the thief) to play the game.  In the end you cook up the pizza and enjoy.
Have fun, play games!