Customized Play Mats?

• 5 Replies

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
Customized Play Mats?
« on: July 10, 2015, 02:53:33 AM »
Hey there, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a website or anyone local that makes custom play mats for games. I'm specifically thinking of for Marvel Legendary. The idea had in mind was a simple design that a spot that said "deck" or "library", one that says "play area", one that says "discard pile" and one that says "victory pile". I think it'd work best on a felt mat, like the newer games have, very similar to most mouse pads. (just bigger).

I think having something like that would make teaching the game (and really, you could it make universal for other deckbuilders) a lot easier, and it make it easier for newer players to understand.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
  • BGG ID: NeikeDjour
  • Name: Nicole Persram
Re: Customized Play Mats?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
I got some neoprene mats from Inked Gaming before and they are really nice. That mousepad kind of material. As far as design goes, if you have something in mind, you can upload a graphic to them. They have some pre-made designs, but nothing like what you are suggesting. If you want help designing something, I can lend my skills.
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

NeikeDjour

• View Profile
    • Pixel Smash Studios
  • BGG ID: NeikeDjour
  • Name: Nicole Persram
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »
Also, if you want per-person mats, then maybe custom mousepads are the way to go. So each player can have their own mat. If so, ArtsCow is pretty cheap. I have a coupon code for the first mousepad for $0.99 and $3.99 per mousepad afterwards. (Code:Z099MOUSEPADR3RJX)
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
I looked at the first website, and it was a bit pricey, but it seemed like the quality was worth it. I'm not sure if it's the size I'm looking for, but I'll have to work out a prototype and see how it goes.  Thanks for the tips!
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »
I'm highly considering designing a mat, and it's either going to be for Legendary, or I might make it more generic. If I do, I think it would behoove me and anyone interested to go in on a bulk order. It looks like Inked Gaming has the best deal for what I want at 25 for 300, or 50 for 500. My personal intent would be to have 5 (as that's the max players for Legendary). Normally, they're $25 each, but with bulk pricing at 25/$300 that's like $12/each, or even better if enough people are interested to do the 50/$500.

What I'm asking is if approximately 4-9 people are interested in buying 5 custom playmats with me for about $60 + shipping. Also, if someone would be willing to help me with the design. I have a basic idea, but I wouldn't mind the assistance of a talented person to bring it to fruition.

...it does seem a bit pricey, but I think it'd vastly improve the experience.