Warhammer Fantasy Winter League 2014-15

• 137 Replies

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Winter League 2014-15
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
I've noticed that there are a couple of opinions on the charging rules, the one that has come up with me involves the free wheel rule, when you measure from corner to nearest corner to determine if the unit has made the minimum distance. I've had people claim that they can make a free move AND a wheel to avoid difficult terrain. I always thought that you had to take to the shortest route possible towards your target. Any opinions on this?

Also who would like to have a game tomorrow afternoon at 25oo points against me Dwarfs?

squalie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
Dude,  is that a knitted river?!

Yup - best kind!  The beads we had gotten out to mark deployment zones.  Then my daughter grabbed them and thought she would use them for decoration around the board because they looked pretty.

Well that explains THAT.  :D

To Cody:  Awesome display of maturity - welcome to the group! (and I wasn't even there. ;)

When you declare a charge - that's all you do.  Then the opponent declares a reaction, and other than holding you work out the reactions immediately.

K, then you measure the distance between the 2 closest points of the involved units.  Buildings and terrain do NOT factor into this at all.  Just measure birds eye view and mark distance, in essence pretend the terrain isn't even there.  Roll dice.  If your charge distance is equal to or greater, you get unlimited movement to complete the charge - ALTHOUGH, you only get ONE wheel of up to 90 degrees to complete this charge and you must maximize units.

Maximize does NOT mean slide models into base to base after contact.  It simply means that you must try to get as many models into contact after while completing your charge.  Then punch each other in the face. (the models, not the players)

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
So, to follow up on Prince's question.  As long as the charging unit makes only a single wheel of 90 deg or less, and maximizes units in base contact, they can avoid dangerous terrain if they choose?  That would be significant for, say, a chariot that wants to avoid the potential D6 wounds.

I do see that the rulebook specifically deals with impassable terrain and other models, granting an exemption from maximizing models in base contact if those things need to be avoided.

squalie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
So, to follow up on Prince's question.  As long as the charging unit makes only a single wheel of 90 deg or less, and maximizes units in base contact, they can avoid dangerous terrain if they choose?  That would be significant for, say, a chariot that wants to avoid the potential D6 wounds.

I do see that the rulebook specifically deals with impassable terrain and other models, granting an exemption from maximizing models in base contact if those things need to be avoided.

That is exactly correct.  It's hard to explain without visual cues, but you can't wheel a little to the left to avoid terrain and then make a big sweeping right to steer around terrain.  One wheel only.  This is why setting up your units correctly "within your front 90" is so important.  To make it even more clear, you may make your "up to 90 degree" wheel at ANY point during your charge move.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:21:48 PM by squalie »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2014, 12:26:15 AM »
Maeson and I had a game tonight.  His dwarfs vs my Beastmen.  We set up for a Beastmen horde to rush his corner, castled dwarfs.  However, things got off track from the plan when I started to chase around his chaff units far from where the actual battle was suppose to happen.  This delayed the corner attack significantly enough to cause the 6 turns to laps without many Beastmen even crossing the table.  The game ended with a regular Battle Line victory for the Beastmen 445 to 235.  My army was painted and we did not play at the store.  Oh and I kept one of Maeson's dwarfs as a hostage.   

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »
This is the last weekend to get games in for this month.  The random draw for the ComicReaders gift card will include all played games up to the end of Nov.  The actual draw will be made in Dec but the date has not been set.  The draw will be made at Comicreaders and I intend to disclose the time in advance.  Besides having game(s) played you must have paid your $5 fee before the draw date to win a prize.  Current members that have paid and will be eligible for prizes so far are as follows:
Mark Dynna, Perris Neuman, Dustin Salmenein, Devin Barss, Cody MacDonald, Robert Possberg, Don Matwe, Chris Smith, Devlin Dooley, Justin Sherban, Allan Luesink and Maeson L (paid to me). (This list is up to date as of Nov 25).

If you have any concerns/questions about the draw give me a PM.

DevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
I am free Thursday this week and that's it, and likely only one game. So if anybody would like to play that day let me know.  :)

Nathans

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
Had a great game VS Devlin today.

1850 Points @Comic Readers
Nathan - Orcs & Goblins (1/2 painted)
Devlin - Skaven (unpainted)

Massacre victory for the Orcs & Goblins.

I'll post pictures once I figure out how!

Nathan Sgrazzutti

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
Dec is always a hard month to get a game in.  I am glad to see that there are some games getting played early.

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
I finished making the list of games played for the month of Nov.  I also took a tally of the number of entries each person got for the Nov draw.  This is posted on page one of this topic thread.  The actual post is an attachment found at the bottom of my 3rd post (under the list of people playing in the league)!  Please double check this and submit errors to me if there are any.   Remember that if you haven't paid your league fees before the draw you entries will not be included in the draw.  I am looking at Tuesday, Dec 9 for the draw date; exact time of draw is still to be determined.  If you wish to be at the draw PM me so that we can arrange a covenant time for us. 

I didn't have time to finish making the list of points for the league.  The draw is independent of the number of points, and the points are strictly for interest sake so I didn't think it mattered much to get the points list posted tonight.