Playtestin' for Provincials

Started by dafish, September 28, 2010, 10:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Roch

I'm going. I need an avenger of zendikar.

Help!
GReg

Jason Doan

Sweet another person playing ramp, one of my aggro decks should do good.

Tempest

Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Wade Kruse

I did pretty horrible. As far as Vengevine decks go Dredgevine doesn't seem to be good enough. Wojo made top 8 with U/W, Morty went top 4 with RDW. The finals were the U/W control mirror.

JohnKapp

Wade Kruse

Quote from: JohnKapp on October 11, 2010, 04:39:57 PM
I'm sure it was the deck.

It was definately the deck I saw the most. Plenty of ramp. A decent amount of RDW/Boros and Mono-Black Control.

Tempest

I think he means dredgevine might not be as bad as you think. I haven't examined standard enough lately to have a formal opinion, but I think it can have a decent matchup against the ramp decks, and maybe control? However, it can be a bit trickier to play than your standard aggro deck.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Wade Kruse

The main problem was that it just relied on luck too much. Hedron Crab can whiff pretty bad, and did whiff pretty bad often. Shaman becomes the only reliable way to get the engine going, but every smart player simply got rid of it immediately, especially anyone playing red or black. It's very easy to slow the deck down enough to keep it from exploding. Every so often it gets a nice break and lets you attack for 8 or 12 in the first few turns, but it can't do it consistently. Ooze shenanigans are fun but again, it's not that hard to disrupt. I think as far as Vengevine decks go, other color combinations have better tools and can be more consistent. This version is too slow against aggro, not as consistent as the ramp decks, and can't compete with UW Control's toolset.

Regardless of the color combination, Nihil Spellbomb looks like a serious problem for Vengevine decks. It pretty much shut me down completely whenever someone boarded it in. Even worse considering the deck's backup plan(the ooze) also depends on the graveyard.