Kickstarter Corner

Started by NeikeDjour, January 31, 2014, 01:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lori

Quote from: Matt Robertson on April 02, 2014, 11:07:59 PM
Quote from: Lori on April 01, 2014, 10:32:49 AM
So, is anyone thinking of backing Pay Dirt?

Was not on my radar Lori, anything in particular call to you about this game?

I think that's my problem!  I've watched the run-thru and have read quite a few reviews and everyone speaks highly of it.  Patrick with Crash Games seems great and is obviously passionate about this game and has done well on the Kickstarter comments with answering questions and keeping people updated.  The game designer has a proven track record with Alien Frontiers.  Shipping costs seem to have been considered for Canada and EU gamers - all pluses.  But, two things hold me back 1) It's seems like such a "guy" game and is all brown and kinda bland looking (which I know is just my personal taste for aesthetics) and 2) I don't get why it's struggling for backers

I'm not sure if I'm looking to be convinced or what, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had it flagged or had insight to offer.

NeikeDjour

Quote from: Lori on April 03, 2014, 09:24:05 AM
Quote from: Matt Robertson on April 02, 2014, 11:07:59 PM
Quote from: Lori on April 01, 2014, 10:32:49 AM
So, is anyone thinking of backing Pay Dirt?

Was not on my radar Lori, anything in particular call to you about this game?

I think that's my problem!  I've watched the run-thru and have read quite a few reviews and everyone speaks highly of it.  Patrick with Crash Games seems great and is obviously passionate about this game and has done well on the Kickstarter comments with answering questions and keeping people updated.  The game designer has a proven track record with Alien Frontiers.  Shipping costs seem to have been considered for Canada and EU gamers - all pluses.  But, two things hold me back 1) It's seems like such a "guy" game and is all brown and kinda bland looking (which I know is just my personal taste for aesthetics) and 2) I don't get why it's struggling for backers

I'm not sure if I'm looking to be convinced or what, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had it flagged or had insight to offer.
I am amazed that it's not overfunded, much less even just funded yet. Is it the theme? Is it the imagery? When I look at it, I saw it as something really cool. I like the unique theme to it, and the concept of gameplay looks really solid. There's always something to be said about what else is on kickstarter at the same time as any other project. I think I've seen 2 projects drop off in the last month hoping to set up again in a bit because there have been too many high tier cost quality games getting a lot of the backers tied up. So maybe that has to do for the lack of funding. Maybe relaunching it would be better then just scraping by in this campaign.

All of that said, it's not a game that screams 'buy me!' to me. That could possibly be because I'm broke and a combination of not being my usual interest in theme or imagery. (I judge a lot of games by their cover, I know it's bad...) And it could be because I haven't played Alien Frontiers, so that doesn't sway me in any direction other then knowing a lot of other people like it... But the graphics are well made and suit the theme perfectly. I'm not sure that things like 'seeming like a guys game' has ever swayed me away from getting a game, but I could see why it could make others hesitant.

Otherwise it looks like a really solid game, and if someone from our group does decide to back it, I'd be really interested in trying it out. =)
Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

Bix Conners

For me, it is more of a discerning palate. I have a large game collection now. I am still acquiring games, but I really pause before I acquire anything new to make sure it fills a void in my collection from a standpoint of mechanics or theme. Pay Dirt does not grip me enough to pull the trigger. I would happily play a game if someone else brought it to game night though. :)

On another note... I really like Alien Frontiers from a game play perspective, unfortunately, the end game is VERY lackluster in comparison to how enjoyable the actual game play is. I think variants might be in order.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Lareina

NeikeDjour

QuoteIn Westerly, you and a group of like minded pioneer folk will brave your way across the content. By working together, making smart decisions and keeping your fingers crossed for good luck, your group may just make it to California. It's a brand new ridiculous tall tale every time you play.

Westerly is a cooperative game for up to six players. In it you will face countless perils as you try to guide your party through the wilds of the untamed American frontier to your ultimate goal, California. It's going to take skill, daring and just a touch of luck to get everyone there in one piece.

Each player in your party will be assuming the identity of one of fifty unique characters to begin your journey. Each character comes with his or her own strengths and weaknesses, so forming a well rounded bunch will certainly help your chances of survival. As a group you will have to decide on how much money to spend on oxen, food and medicine before setting off down the trail. Choose wisely, 'cause there's no turning back once you get going, and opportunities to replenish your needs are random at best.

The road to California is full of twists and turns and is as unpredictable as the game itself. One moment your group may be sailing easily across the wide open prairie and the next be facing down catastrophic damage. The road is constructed as you play, so the group will never be able to plan for what lies ahead. There are rivers to cross, wild animals to fight, diseases to overcome, unsavory characters to defeat, and some very difficult decisions to make that will test the group's morality or lack thereof. The further north the road takes you, the more likely the group is to run into predators, starvation, and natural disasters. The further south, the more likely to encounter disease, Indians, and drought. Each member of the party only has a limited amount of attributes needed to overcome obstacles, and even though these can be recharged periodically, they must be rationed wisely in order to survive. It is very likely that not everyone will make it across the savage plains, but don't worry, if a character dies a replacement character is waiting right around the corner to take his place. A replacement that's known as a burden for a very good reason. The game was designed to be fun and challenging while setting the stage for the group to create their own narrative as play progresses. By creatively filling in the blanks, a story will begin to emerge as your unlikely band of compatriots blazes a trail headlong into untold dangers. Win or lose, your group is guaranteed to have a unique and memorable experience every time you play.

NeikeDjour

I just joined 'Big Games for Small Pockets: Dice Hate Me's 54-Card Rabbits' and' Little Dungeon: Turtle Rock'. I'll post some information about them in a little bit. :P

NeikeDjour

QuoteLittle Dungeon is a dungeon crawling card game. Designed to be simple, imaginative and accessible for young children while having a level of fun to captivate tweens, teens, young adults, parents and grandparents.

As you make your way through this dungeon adventure, collect all the treasure you can. You can get loot, weapons, and special cards to help you along the way, but keep an eye out for those monsters! They have a lot of goodies, but they won't give them up without a fight. You can defend against them, attack them or pay them off. If you defeat them, all their treasure is yours! But look out, for when the Shadow Mage makes his appearance the pace really picks up! The player who collects the most loot wins!

Kage

Has anyone seen this?  :excited

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/513277403/alien-vs-predator-the-miniatures-game

I am soooooooo getting into this.  :popcorn

I have to start watching this kickerstarter stuff a little closer.  I would have contributed to this for sure!

:excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited

NeikeDjour

My fellow Pairs people! (I'm talking to you Prairieguy, Cordawg and Matt Robertson!) I need to put in the deck requests for the Kickstarter Pledge.

Here's a brief example of each deck artwork. All of the decks except one of them are Pairs deck, the FALLING deck is an entirely different deck with a completely different game. All of the Pairs decks are good to go for the game of Pairs, AND each deck has it's own varient rules related to the theme of the deck. (All varient deck rules will be on Cheapass Games' Website, your specific deck will have it's specific theme rules in it's box.)

Find more examples for each decks imagery here (http://cheapass.com/freegames/pairs) and clicking on each deck to see what illustrations are currently available.

And for any of you who haven't paid yet (you know who you are), this is your friendly reminder. The cost is $13.25. =)

Cordawg

Baby Cthulhu  and I'll try and get you the money ASAP