ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3

• 379 Replies

ChadBoudreau

Re: ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »
There is Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: The Gathering on the go at ComicReaders Downtown this Sunday but there should be room for at least one game of Warhammer. We've left a table on the sale floor for that very purpose.

It's always a good idea to call ahead on Sunday to see if there are more tables available.

Kingleir

• View Profile
  • Name: Matthew
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
I played against Alex B and Mark D today at PGX.  I lost both games.  Both of their armies were painted while mine was not.

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »
I played against Alex B and Mark D today at PGX.  I lost both games.  Both of their armies were painted while mine was not.
Matt was a great opponent who accommodated my "I need to play and get out of here" requirement.  Although he said his army isn't painted, he's got some awesome "blood and bones" bases - everyone should definitely check them out if you see his army!

Tyler Hutchinson

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »
Thanks to Sean S, Xander (Sorry if I got the wrong name), and Mike L for the games at PGX. Looking forward to seeing your finished armies during the league.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:58:03 AM by Tyler Hutchinson »
“If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?”

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
Thanks to everyone who came out to PGX, and to those who participated in my first attempt at running a tournament.  It involved a lot more running around than I expected, but hopefully everyone had a good time.  If anyone has any constructive feedback on the event, feel free to PM me or Lareina. 

Definitely post if you have a favourite moment from the tournament - mine was watching Jason (not in the league this season) against Mark in the first round, making a difficult terrain move of 6", followed by running 1"... and being JUST short of claiming an objective on the last turn.

Tyler was the overall winner, playing Xander's (not Zach  :neener) Tau, Sean's Dark Eldar, and Mike's Tau.  Congrats!

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
Chris I have to say the tournament was a blast.  Only constructive criticism i would have was the lack of HQ choices made some armies very limited on what they could field[Chaos(basically forced to go mark less) & Tyranids(we don't need no stinking synapse)] being a couple of the harder hit armies(both still showed up for the tournament though which was nice to see).  My favorite moment would also have to be that round one defeat of Jason as nothing beat winning by literally 1" and 1 point. It was a blast to play against everyone in the tournament. 

Also got my first league game in against Riel(spelling) it was a battle of the little bugs(him) vs the big bugs(me).  It was a hard fought battle and I managed to take out his only synapse source causing some of his bugs to freak out and eat each other.  He managed to wound both my Tyrants but couldn't muster a kill on either one, my gaunts all died to his gaunts tough and in the end the little bugs narrowly won the battle(I look forward to a rematch at higher points).  It was a blast playing Riel(spelling) as we both learn the ropes of the new Tyranid codex.

All in all it was my first foray back into Warhammer 40K after a hiatus since around 1999(the ugly chaos I played in the tournament are from my old army which are all up for grabs for any reasonable offer if they don't sell soon I am shipping em to BTP for credit), I need to get more league games in this week so if anyone wants to make arrangements for Thursday evening(after 5:00) let me know right now I have a game vs Chris(Yolanka) at 5:30 so another at 7:00 or 7:30ish would be great! 

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
Looking to play some games on WED and THURS afternoon this week, I work at 6:15 both days so I would have to be out of the store at 5pm at the latest.

AS for what I have seen in the PGX tournament and a the couple fantasy tournaments I have participated in, I am wondering if it would be better to judge the tournament champion not just by how many wins a person gets, but to also include their painting a sportsmanship scores into the overall points ratings. I can't elaborate in further but feel free to discuss. I think it would reflect how the bigger tournaments are run, especially the Games Workshop events.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:25:40 PM by Prince of Arnheim »

Tyler Hutchinson

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »
Problem with that kind of system is it is prone to rampant abuse. I know three different people that were informed by third parties after official GW tournaments that their opponents deliberately gave them low score on painting and sportsmanship just so they would have a better chance of winning. Also even assuming everyone marks their opponents honestly it is a proven fact that people will view the conduct, and actions of friends more favorably then strangers..

Now painting could be a flat score for having your entire army painted, but anything beyond this would just lead to problems as painting is a art form whose evaluation is notoriously up to the specific judge evaluating it.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
It would only work if the moderator/judge did the painting and sportsmanship scores. I just think it shouldn't be all about winning games as Warhammer is a hobby with many elements, just sayin. One of my best experiences was a Gw hall of heroes tourney that used such a system, no one knew the winners until the announcement of them at the end.

Tyler Hutchinson

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
Well as long as it was a neutral third party, but then again how would they know what sportsmanship score to give unless they sat there and watched both players?