ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3

• 379 Replies

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
Re: ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2014, 09:44:16 AM »
Mike's right, certain scenarios don't make sense to play without fast attack or heavy support for example.  James and I actually originally rolled big guns never tire but agreed to roll again.  It'd be similar to agreeing to not play watchtower vs brettonnia in Fantasy Maeson... some missions just aren't fun in certain situations.  Definitely use the "just agree" method Mike mentioned - if you want to roll in the book, go ahead.  If someone likes battleforce recon because it's simple (no night fight, mysterious objectives, and objectives being only worth 2 in small fights can make for closer matches) but doesn't like deploying in the far corners (Tyranids), just agree to use the same rules but change up the deployment zones or something.

Personally I like rolling from the book too, but I dislike knowing who's on what side before terrain's set up (like the book wants you to do), and would definitely re-roll the heavy support or fast attack missions if neither army has any of them anyway.

Lareina

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
Hopefully all the games to date are up to date, a fair amount of games played on Thursday, which is great to see :D

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2014, 01:06:59 PM »
Played against Matthew's chaos today, this time Khorne.  Played the 4th mission - 6 objectives worth variable amounts of victory points.  Wolves went first and moved up the board.  Chaos moved closer on their turn and immobilize the razorback with a plasma shot.  The wolves disembarked from both transports - the 10 man squad killed 3 chaos marines and the remaining 2 fled the board for first blood.  The priest's lightning and razorback's assault cannon caused the chaos rhino to explode, killing 2 berzerkers inside.  It was a great start, but unfortunately the last kill the wolves would get all game...  The berzerkers retaliated, making a somewhat long charge into my larger gray hunters, but even after using my wolf standard to re-roll all 1's, I still lost the majority of the squad AND the chaos made all of their saves!  From there any shots I made either didn't wound or Matthew rolled his saves.  The only wound he took was when his lord charged my immobile razorback, planted a meltabomb on it, then took a wound from the explosive shrapnel.  Even one wound in the last 2 rounds of combat against my rune priest would've been enough with his force weapon, but alas I repeatedly failed to wound him  :(.  Game ended with my wolves wiped out and plenty of chaos around to claim 3 objectives even if I had survived until the game's end.

In the end - victory for the chaos (unpainted), loss for the wolves (painted), played at the store.

Moral of the battle - Khorne berzerkers are mean in combat, and down-right ridiculous when their warlord gives them Hatred!

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Wow Mark thanks for the theatrical battle report narrative, that was a great way of glorifying your win against me in my first game! :lol
My apologies Maeson, it was in no way intended to "glorify my win" - I'm a freelance writer and I like to take any opportunity to practice.  It was posted here purely for others' entertainment.  Full disclosure:  I plan on narrating all of my games (win or lose).

@Chad and Mike L. - Thanks!

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
we should try for a game soon malachi. id love to see your creative take on a game with my tau.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
No need to apologise Mark, I was just poking a bit of fun. It was a great battle story!

Alex1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:26 AM »
If there's going to be narration, get we get a separate thread going for that? Not because I think its annoying, but because I want space to get in on that too!

Kingleir

• View Profile
  • Name: Matthew
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »
Played against maeson today at comic readers: thousand sons vs. world eaters (both unpainted)

Maeson (thousand sons) won 4-0 wiping my warlord and his unit off the table for firstblood and slay the warlord.  He then claimed 2 objectives.  At the end he had lost 2 rhinos and 2 rubrics while I lost all of my berserkers, my Lord and 4 CSM's.

Tyler Hutchinson

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
Played against Nathan today. Mission was purge the alien, deployment was Dawn of war if I remember right.
Turn one all my rhinos where reduced to smouldering wrecks, but thanks to sheer luck my marines armor held out against the constant volley of imperial guard fire, as I advanced to charge range, that was until a entire squad was virtually wiped out by a single over watch (True story). Yet at the end of the game I managed to squeak out a victory, although if Nathan's Melta guns kept hitting the way they were it would have been a tie if not a flat out victory for Nathan.

However, the obvious ViP's of the game were by far his melta vets.
“If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?”

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
Played against Lareina's tyranids tonight at home using their new codex.  Rolled the relic which ended up being placed king-of-the=hill style right in the middle of the table on a hill. 

Wolves moved up, assault cannons dealing an early 2 wounds to her Tervigon.  The nids moved forward as well, and the genestealers that infiltrated off to the side swung around behind me behind a wall. 

My rhino dropped its passengers on the hill and turned to block the genestealers' path, forcing them to either assault it or move around through some difficult terrain.  The gray hunters that got out fired on the approaching hormagaunts... only killing 4.  The razorback went to hide in a forest... and immobilized itself on the way in.  It fired at the tervigon but failed to wound it this time.  The gray hunters got out and fired on the termagaunts that had been spawned, killing roughly half of them.  They denied my rune priest's psychic lightning from killing more of them.  Lareina retaliated, rolling a perfect 6 on her genestealers' difficult terrain check and charging with everything.  On the hill the genestealers and hormagaunts killed 6 of my marines, but Lareina lost all of her genestealers other than her Broodlord and a couple gaunts.  In the other assault my rune priest failed to wound the tervigon with his force weapon and was slain in return.  My gray hunters finished off her termagaunts first though for first blood!  Her tervigon also turned the forest that my razorback had been immobilized in into a carniverous one!

With everything locked in combat I couldn't shoot at anything.  The carniverous forest took another hull point off of my razorback.  During combat her broodlord finished off my gray hunters and moved toward the relic while the gaunts went to help the tervigon.  During her turn she opted to charge my razorback since she had upgraded her hormagounts with adrenal glands for furious charge so that they could glance my rear armour on a 6.  With so many attacks and only one hull point remaining, she easily finished it off.  Her tervigon and my gray hunters did one more wound to each other.

Over the next two turns I kept swinging at her tervigon with my marines, trying to at least get the moral victory of taking it down.  With her hormagaunts charging in as well though I couldn't get the job done and she wiped me off the board.

Game loss for the wolves, victory for tyranids.  Not played at the store.  Wolves painted, tyranids were not.