ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3

• 379 Replies

Lareina

Re: ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
It's just easier to disallow them right now rather than try to fit it into the league, mostly because the rules are so new. Formations are a neat idea, but if you only get benefits from having it and no drawbacks then you can just try to find one of the more "broken" ones and use that. Everyone pays enough for this hobby as it is in my opinion, I'd rather GW not keep nickel and diming us at every opportunity, especially with those formations.

my above points are still my opinion tho... a normal 2000 pt army is going to have a VERY hard time dealing with these things. not to mention to fit one in, you would have to handicap youself at the 1500 pt level, to leave room for your superhev. seems complicated.

I doubt anyone would play someone that had a super heavy, it'd be that one unfortunate player to find out, then I think everyone would avoid the other person like the plague if they didn't have a counter for it.

We have hit our minimum 8 players, more people please :D I myself am still undecided, I have a bunch of things to do in the New Year.

Edit: Updated a ruling on if your codex gets an update. There is a one month grace period of playing with your old codex, which is the month the new codex is released. While you can switch codices right away, if you have played games that month with your old codex, you must stay with that codex for the rest of the month. Exception to this when it is tournament month, you must be using the new codex for the tournament.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:59:54 AM by Lareina »

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »
I think the call on Superheavies and Formations is a good one.  The Formations seem to be there just to push model sales without much thought for game balance.  Superheavies are okay as long as everyone knows that they're going to be "in the mix" from the start.  Maybe the next league can start on the premise of "superheavies will be allowed."

Until then I - and I hope everyone else - am going into this league under the mindset of it being hobby focused and fun.  I'm just looking forward to playing some new people with painted armies!

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
i too shall be trying a new idea / theme..

as im going tau, i have wanted to make a suit list for ages. so this is going to be my attempt at such a list. no idea on how it will work, so if it tirns out to be terrible to play i apologize in advance. so my roster shall follow the following:
- enclave list
- no named or special characters
- only suits / drones in the list (no vehicles or "foot" models)
- at least 1 of each kind of suit. (crisis/stealth/broadside/riptide/r'varna)
- no allies. (so no enclave+normal tau crazy deathstar combo or using eldar seer council, or any other ally style bullcrud)

i do have an r'varna suit from forgeworld i plan to bring in near the end of the month.its the only FW model i plan to use, aside from some basic crisis suits (if they show up in time)  the rules for the r'varna are here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/R/Rvarna.pdf

currently those are experimental, so if they change between now and when i can fit him in, obviously ill immediatly switch to the new rules. bringing him in however is at least a few months off, just wanted to give advance warning of a FW model i plan to use.

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
I don't know about the R'vana... those rules are pretty ridiculous.  It's not going to come up for awhile, until heavies are unlocked, but I'm not too crazy about including that particular unit at the moment.

Kingleir

• View Profile
  • Name: Matthew
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
Im still a little confused about the use of the inquisition codex.  It only requires 1 hq choice to be a detachment and has no troops.  How will this work with the ally rules?

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
I agree with the Superheavy / formation rulings as well.

Also, I'm definitely going to be using this season to enjoy ALL of my eldar.  They were my first army back in elementary school and I'm looking forward to finally bringing them out again (and finishing a lot of my unbuilt stuff).

This means I'll be fielding 100% different things each month so that I can enjoy trying out almost everything my army has to offer.  Yes, I may even bring out the banshees for a month despite how terrible they are now.  It's going to be a fun season for the eldar!

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
Im still a little confused about the use of the inquisition codex.  It only requires 1 hq choice to be a detachment and has no troops.  How will this work with the ally rules?

Units from it are part of their own "Inquisitorial Detachment" and so can be taken in addition to a Primary and Ally detachment.  An HQ from the book can also be your Warlord even though they aren't in your Primary detachment.  As far as league rules go, seems like one can take an Inquisitor right from the start. 

Maybe we'll need some additional restrictions on the dedicated transports they can take though?  Bringing a Land Raider or Valkyrie in the first month would be pretty brutal.

Lareina

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

Units from it are part of their own "Inquisitorial Detachment" and so can be taken in addition to a Primary and Ally detachment.  An HQ from the book can also be your Warlord even though they aren't in your Primary detachment.  As far as league rules go, seems like one can take an Inquisitor right from the start. 

Maybe we'll need some additional restrictions on the dedicated transports they can take though?  Bringing a Land Raider or Valkyrie in the first month would be pretty brutal.

Huh, I thought they took up an Ally slot... I need to see the rules for the Inquistion with my own eyes. Who can take the Inquisition as a detachment?

Right now, I ruled that you cannot take Inquisition as a primary for the reason of no troops, I am now validated with the mention that their dedicated transports being Land Raiders/Valkyries.

With that current ruling, in month 1, a person is going to be hard pressed to attempt to fit in 1 HQ and 2 Troops with their primary before being able to take an Inquisitor with a Land Raider/Valkyrie, that's some serious small units in 500 points, a Land Raider takes like half those points, and plus the Inquisitor, that's less than 225 points or so to work with your primary. I'm curious which armies can field 1 HQ and 2 troops with 225 points or less.

Month 2, there are a number of elites that can work against a Land Raider, so there is a way for people to get through it.

With all that said, don't be that person, like Malachi said earlier, we're here to have fun and try to grow the community. Tournament on the other hand, all gloves are off ;)

Kingleir

• View Profile
  • Name: Matthew
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
 Any imperial army is battle brothers with inq then tau and eldar are Allies of convienience i believe

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
I am in with my Thousand Sons and Tzeentch Daemon alliance, even though I am tempted to save this army for when the combined supplement is eventually released. I am very new to playing 40k but I have been following it for many years, so I might just need a bit of help with the main rules at first, but I know my armies rules well enough that I shouldn't be too hindered.

I am wondering which months allow the use of fortifications?

I also think that it would be good not to allow units and fortifications from the Escalation and Stronghold supplements as it seems very unbalancing for this kind of league, and unless there are store copies of the books it could get expensive especially, for new players.

I look forward to meeting the 40k players I haven't played in the fantasy league yet and will enjoy getting many games in.