ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3

• 379 Replies

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
Re: ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
In my opinion the judge or moderator should check in on each game during each round to see how the games are going and to get a feeling as to how players are conducting themselves, also they should be there if a rules dispute or argument occurs to see or help in how it is resolved. A good example would be that instance where Mikes riptide was shooting at your csm squad through cover, you both had different views and Chris was there to provide insight, I hope you don't mind me using that example Tyler, but I saw that as being a good one that affected not only the game in a big way but also who may have won the tournament. Not trying to start any trouble here :2cents :thumb-up

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
generally tournaments, even the major GW ones score multiple categories. best painted/presented, best general (winner), best sport, and on some larger events these are broken down into adult and under 16-18 brackets.  any time you get into combining scores for 1 winner you end up with some people getting butthurt. simply because the guy who dosent win games, might have a ton of friends and a nice purchased painted army (or be a bad ass painter) he will win, because his army paintjob is better and his friends like him, and not the guy with an average paintjob who won all his games, but people dont like him cause he has 2 heldrakes, or a riptide, or a venomspam, or a screamerstar, or he smells funny, or has weird hair, or whatever. sport/general/painting should remain seperate scores at tournaments, because they have such diffirent criteria, its REALLY hard for someone to hit all 3 in the same event. who applies these scores, is often the issue. do your opponents judge you on sportsmanship? is there a seperate judge for these? what about p[ainting? is it best painted, or best painter? what about the guy who ebays his army from a pro golden deamon winner? should be allowed to win best painted?

pgx was run fine. with the restrictions placed on the armies as it was, i think it was actually pretty fun, and had a good time. my suggestions wich i already made to chris:
- instead of a restrictive 500 pt list, just go straight up 1000, no allies. 1k games tend to go almost as fast as a 500pt one, but allows more freedom in list design. restricting allies prevents super cheese, and games can still be done in about an hour with a 20 min setup/break time in between. 4 hours = 3 games done.

and thats really it. but i think chris did an awsome job running things, despite my pulling his leg a little from time to time. and my impression was overall everyone had a good time, and the mission of getting in a bunch of quick games was acomplished.

Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
I had fun at the tournament, thanks to all those for putting it on and to Chris for running the 40k section.

It was my first time playing new Nids and wow do they fall apart quickly out of synapse! That's going to be a significant challenge for the bugs this edition.

I'm looking for a league game on Thursday this week if anyone is available around 6pm let me know.

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
i can try to be down thursday. it depends on family scedule. but i shall do my best. might have to bring along a few minions tho.

« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
Yes, I agree with Mark: the big Nids vs. small Nids was an interesting game.   Same codex, two completely different strategies.  It was only by making some amazingly unlikely rolls (passing multiple moral tests with a ld. of 6, rolling snake eyes for my flee distance) that I managed to squeak out a win/keep my army from running off the table.  It will be neat to see how these armies match up as the point value increases.   

I wasn't nearly as fortunate against Wade D. and the Warhost of Nurgle.  Plague marines are a tough nut to crack. I'm going to need more bugs.
Tzeentch has a plan for us all

Alex1

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
Casey, I'd be up for a game on Thursday. What time were you planning on heading down?

I've always thought that having different prize brackets (i.e. a gaming prize, a painting prize, and a nice guy prize) is a better system than adding sportsmanship and painting into an overall score, unless you have a large and comprehensive rubric such as the Astronomi-con guys in Winnipeg do.

Kingleir

• View Profile
  • Name: Matthew
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »
I'm looking for a game on saturday to start off at 1000 pts.  Ill be using a regular spacemarine to counts as my lord since this variation will not make another appearance (he'll use a regular bolt pistol instead of plasma pistol, otherwise is wysiwyg).

Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
pgx was run fine. with the restrictions placed on the armies as it was, i think it was actually pretty fun, and had a good time. my suggestions wich i already made to chris:
- instead of a restrictive 500 pt list, just go straight up 1000, no allies. 1k games tend to go almost as fast as a 500pt one, but allows more freedom in list design. restricting allies prevents super cheese, and games can still be done in about an hour with a 20 min setup/break time in between. 4 hours = 3 games done.

I would leave allies in, personally.  Without allies the older codexes become almost unusable vs. current 6th edition armies.  Best example is armies that don't have access to any Skyfire in their codex.

I suggested to Chris that next time he (or anyone, really) wants to run a small point tournament, they use the Kill Team rules that GW published with the December ebooks.

Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
Alex I can meet you there for a game right at 6 if that works for you.

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
yes some armies lose out on not having allies, but others lose out with them - tyranids especially.

also keep in mind, before the silliness that is 6th, there was no allies. older books had to make do as was, and simply adjust rosters to match the times. necrons and dark eldar went through most of 3rd, all of 4th and a majority of 5th before finally getting new rules, only to be wacked with the nerf bat in 6th.

that said, every army (save probally sisters) has a 6th ed competetive build.
every army now has a flier of some kind. (again sisters dont, but what can you do)
EG: the IG get valks/vendettas, SM have storm talon/raven, chaos get the heldrake, and flying DP, as do daemons, tau have skyfire options and a pair of fliers, DE have 2, eldar have 2, orks have 2. necrons have 2 and nids just got a couple of shiney new ones as well. so the "allies to cover your butt with anti air" argument would seem to me to be a bit... off.  (also 100 pts gets you an aegis line with a quad gun, great anti air defence -  and only 30$ or so at the store) - see what i did there ? ;)

the other common argument is psychic defence. yes some armies have the ability to go crazy on psychic powers, such as eldar, chaos, daemons and GK. while others have nothing in the ability to stop it, such as DE, crons or tau. however all of those armies have other strong points wich compensate for the lack of psychic ability. reanimation protocols, markerlights, massed ranged poison, are a few examples.

i would humbly point out that it is supposed to be this way. each army has a strong point and a weak one. facing off against an army that is weak were you are strong and vice versa is what makes this game interesting, and boils things down to the guy throwing the dice. part of list theroy is that you look to identify your own weakness, and compensate with your strength, then identify your opponents weak spots and try to hit it as hard as you can. a prime example is dark eldar. they have low toughness, no armor and really only mid range guns. but they make up for it with the ability to have amazing speed, HUGE volumes of that same mid range firepower, and a ton of guys on field. tyranids to a point, also follow that style. vrs space marines wich are *usually* out numbered but make up for it by being tougher, stronger, and more versatile then thier average counterparts. if you want the "all powerful no weakness army" then i suggest perhaps starcraft with godmode enabled is more your style.

(and before they come up - yes tau are strong. yes riptides and crisis are powerful, but they can be brought down just as easy as anything else, if you have an idea how to do so. - and as a user of said, i will be more then happy to offer suggestions on how to directly counter my army using yours. in the interest of fair play.)
/end rant ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:55:14 PM by Mike.L »