ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3

• 379 Replies

Mike.L

• View Profile
Re: ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer 40k Escalation League - Season 3
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
im in - hopefully everthing works out this time.

will be playing tau.

Lareina

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Hello,

Dec has been a month of huge changes for 40k. Are the 2 new books (escalation and stronghold assault) allowed? This brings titans and D weapons into regular 40k now. I realize these books are supplements as far as GW is concerned but since they are new I wanted to know if they are allowed for this league?

Currently the new books are allowed for the escalation portion of the league, but not necessarily for the tournament, that part is under review, and probably will not be decided upon until closer to the tournament. Super heavies will not be allowed until the 4th month.

Edit: With that said, just so then everyone in the league and wants to join the league doesn't feel pressured into buy the new supplements, the main rulebook rules on buildings will be in affect and not what is in Stronghold Assault.

After internal debate, I have decided to overturn my previous decision.

Also are the new formations going to be part of it?

Are there new formations in the books like the Apocalypse ones or are you talking about the Apocalypse ones? Or are you talking about the ones that GW seems to be releasing as a box set?

Answer is now, no.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:45:16 PM by Lareina »

Kingleir

• View Profile
  • Name: Matthew
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
Gw's advent calendar are adding formations to regular 40k

Looks like 4 of them
Tau: riptide and 6 broadsides
SM: Stormraven and 2 stormtalons
SM: Centurions(melee I believe)
SM: Reclusiam command squad

The rules have them added to any army, no FoC slot needed.

And what about the inquisitor codex as well?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:28:04 PM by Kingleir »

Lareina

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »
Gw's advent calendar are adding formations to regular 40k

Looks like 4 of them
Tau: riptide and 6 broadsides
SM: Stormraven and 2 stormtalons
SM: Centurions(melee I believe)
SM: Reclusiam command squad

The rules have them added to any army, no FoC slot needed.

And what about the inquisitor codex as well?

Considering that I'd need to address when they would be allowed, I am going with "no" for formations.  Edit: I still need to think about it fully, I'll rule on it in a couple days, I need to deal with a couple finals before making this decision.

The answer is now, no to formations.

"Yes" for the Inquisitor codex for the time being, from the sounds of it, you may only be able to take them as allies with our current roster restrictions.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:46:57 PM by Lareina »

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
personally i would say straight up no to the superheavies, and "new" formations. the goal is to build an army up, and get away from disgusting broken cheese.

with the new books i can now take:
- primary detachment
- allied detachment
- allied formation
-super heavy

all from seperate codex's. so providing i have the points, one could in theroy have SM, with eldar allies, a tau allied formation, and a IG baneblade.

also, at 2000 pts superheavys generally weigh in at 500pts on average and bring more guns, HP and D strength weapons then other units. thus they can wipe out 2-3 unts a turn depending on what they have, with NO cover, and no armor. if someone does not have a superheavy to field, and they fight someone who does... that game is essentially over for them. yes the guy taking a baneblade or warhound or revenant or whatever will be seriously limited in other parts of his army... but thats little problem when you're firing off a 10" blast that auto insta kills, ignores cover, and is AP 1. on TOP of multiple other weapons, AND you have 9 hull points at armor 14. ...

edit: since month 5 is only the tournament, why not have an apocalypse match - like the week before the tourney for everyone. that way people can still bring and use any super heavies or super forts etc. could even have some bonus league points awarded for certain achievments during the game. - or instead of a all league member apoc match, just go "open points" games for month 5 before the tournament - so if someone wants to play a 4000 pt game with their super heavies and 3 other army allies... then not only will they have the points to do so, but it wont "cripple" the 500-2000 pt progression for other people or themselves.

just my 2bits :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:04:09 PM by Mike.L »

Lareina

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
personally i would say straight up no to the superheavies, and "new" formations. the goal is to build an army up, and get away from disgusting broken cheese.

with the new books i can now take:
- primary detachment
- allied detachment
- allied formation
-super heavy

all from seperate codex's. so providing i have the points, one could in theroy have SM, with eldar allies, a tau allied formation, and a IG baneblade.

also, at 2000 pts superheavys generally weigh in at 500pts on average and bring more guns, HP and D strength weapons then other units. thus they can wipe out 2-3 unts a turn depending on what they have, with NO cover, and no armor. if someone does not have a superheavy to field, and they fight someone who does... that game is essentially over for them. yes the guy taking a baneblade or warhound or revenant or whatever will be seriously limited in other parts of his army... but thats little problem when you're firing off a 10" blast that auto insta kills, ignores cover, and is AP 1. on TOP of multiple other weapons, AND you have 9 hull points at armor 14. ...

edit: since month 5 is only the tournament, why not have an apocalypse match - like the week before the tourney for everyone. that way people can still bring and use any super heavies or super forts etc. could even have some bonus league points awarded for certain achievments during the game. - or instead of a all league member apoc match, just go "open points" games for month 5 before the tournament - so if someone wants to play a 4000 pt game with their super heavies and 3 other army allies... then not only will they have the points to do so, but it wont "cripple" the 500-2000 pt progression for other people or themselves.

just my 2bits :)

Hmm very good point, I was already pretty hesitant on letting Super Heavies in. While I like the general approach of how it looks like "bring whatever you feel like" I'm going to keep this simple and not allow Super Heavies and formations, against what I had previously ruled for the former. If I was allowing the ability to change lists game to game, then you'd be able to take things like that, after letting your opponent know your intentions, etc, but since it is only month to month list changes, then no, to Super Heavies and formations.

FAQ changed to reflect this.

Edit: This is the last time for the rule to be changed this season. I may allow it for future seasons, we shall see how 40k changes in a year.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:52:26 PM by Lareina »

Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
I agree super heavies are going to be too much for a lot of players and games are supposed to be fun, not 1 sided slaughter fest.

What about some of the newer units they added with a datasheet of rules? Like Be'lakor? He's a new HQ choice for Daemons and CSM. I did just order him but my feelings won't be hurt if he is not allowed as a new unit :)

Lareina

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »
I agree super heavies are going to be too much for a lot of players and games are supposed to be fun, not 1 sided slaughter fest.

What about some of the newer units they added with a datasheet of rules? Like Be'lakor? He's a new HQ choice for Daemons and CSM. I did just order him but my feelings won't be hurt if he is not allowed as a new unit :)

Yup that's allowed, what wouldn't be allowed from datasheets are anything that bypass normal force organization slots.

What will you be playing Casey? Daemons?

Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
Yes I am going to be bringing Daemons and maybe ally with CSM.

No worries guys, you won't be seeing a screamerstar in my army list. I'm not a big fan of invincible deathstar units (boring to play).

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 10:53:12 PM »
just a quick counter to myself...

lol yes.

i was slightly wrong in my above. your super heavy has to belong to the faction your primary detachment is. so an IG player can take IG superhevs, but not a thunderhawk, and space marines cant take baneblades, etc.

that said, everything else is still pretty much the same. however warhound and larger class superhevs not listed in the book so one could argue not valid.. what IS listed tho: every version of baneblade, including ones with D weapons, and alot of str 10 ap 1 huge blasts and a myriad of other weapons. points vary between 400-600. the lord of skulls thing, the necron obelisk/vault/ctan, eldar revenant, ork stompa, nid harridan and tau tigershark round out the rest of the listed stuff.

my above points are still my opinion tho... a normal 2000 pt army is going to have a VERY hard time dealing with these things. not to mention to fit one in, you would have to handicap youself at the 1500 pt level, to leave room for your superhev. seems complicated.

but i was incorrect in stating you could have primary+allied+superhev+allied formation from 4 seperate factions. however you CAN still do IG primary, eldar ally, baneblade, and tau broadside formation as allied formation. its still pretty broke. (and so far its not just the tau broadsides that dont use force org, the sm flier one does as well. additonal rules for guys like belakor and tigerious are the other current ones...but lots more between now and 25th.)