Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)

• 149 Replies

RobertP

• View Profile
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »
I updated the point list.   I attached the PDF on the first page (at the bottom of all the stats for the ladder and record keeping - third post with the the other attachments).   I spotted a mistake and it appears that I missed 9pts for squalie, so he got a big jump there!!  Maeson and Don will likely finish at the top of the points.  Allan and Justin will likely finish on the top of the ladder.  If there isn't any movement from the current positions Maeson will meet Justin.  And Allan and Don will meet in the semi-finals.  I set out a time frame that I am hoping that people can obtain the first round of finals.  This was posted when I drew up the rules for the league... March 1-20 for the first round of semi-finals.  March 21-31 for the finals! 

Edited:  needed to add the semi-final and final dates. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:27:55 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
Sorry to disappoint everyone but I'm no longer going to be able to come to frag tomorrow, family plans got moved to then. I am available next weekend though if anyone wants to have a match.

Hey Kyle are you still free?  I have an opening for a game Saturday evening at 8:30.  I have to watch my kids (they willl be asleep).  Would you like to have a game?
Update: we are having a game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:41:55 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
Hey guys, please post any results of games that you might not have yet.  This will rap up the end of the regular league play!  I will tally up the numbers but I don't expect much change from my earlier Feb 26 post.  Playoffs are here so make sure that you contact your opponent right away so we can rap up the league finals in a timely fashion. 

Maeson and I had a game last night.  I challenged him and I was again unsuccessful.  In turn two a chariot panicked that panicked a second.  Impact hits from the chariots on the nearby Battlestardard barer where substantial but the standard was still standing.  In a number of my magics phases I cast "viletide" which is a Beastmen 5D6 S1 magic missile.  I tended to roll a lot of dice for hits but generally failed to wound many (as one would expect from Strength 1).  However, in turn 4 I rolled amazing wounds on his Deadread Lord and dragon and produced a pile of wounds after rolling about twelve "6's" on the dice.  The Deadlord was ok, saving all six S1 wounds... but the Dragon actually failed 3 on about 7 wounds!  The Beastmen general added a wound in the last moments of the game but end the end the dragon ended up cooking him and then hunting down a gor unit.  I was doing ok until turn 5.  The wheels of the chariot fell off when the Darkelves charged basically everything.  The Beastmen panicked and went running in all directions and Maeson went into clean up.  I conserved a few points on the last turn but at the end of the game the score was ~2100 Maeson to Robers ~850.   Maeson scores a massacre victory, he was painted, and receives a bonus point for the ladder challenge.  Maeson gets -2 for playing me a third time.  I get 2pts minimum "Victory" points and added "bonus" points for fully painted and challenge (total 4pts).

oops, looked up the rule... a fleeing chariot does not cause impact hits!

Edited to correct impact chariot rules.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:04:51 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
Kyle came over to my house and we had a game on March 1.  It was officilly a day after the league rapped up so no points will be rewarded.  For the record it was a win for me.  I was painted and Kyle was not.  Here is my version of the battle report...

We rolled up the Watch Tower scenario.  I groaned and I asked, "do you want to roll again?"  We both agreed the Watch Tower scenario wasn't good but Kyle still wanted to play it saying something to the effect he doesn't get to play that scenario often!  So we tried it.  I started with control of the tower and added the biggest core unit I had into it... 10 gors including a standard barer.  My list was not made for the Watch Tower as I had 4 core tuskgor chariots and 2 razorgor chariots that could not assault the Tower!  I also had 2 ghorgon that could assault the tower but not occupy it.  I did however have 4 (10man) gor units, 4 units (5 man) ungor raiders, a Doombull general, Gorebull Standard Barer, and a level 3 shaman that could potentially get in there.  I put 3 units into ambush just encase Kyle DE had bolt throwers... then forgot about them so they never seen the table!  Kyle's army looked something like this:  2 units of 10 Dark Raiders, 10 Coldone Knights, a coldone chariot, 40 Executioners with a hero that gives them Frenzy, 25ish witch elves, 2 units of Warlocks.   

After deployment Kyle moved his vanguard and took the first turn.  He assulted the tower with his 5 warlocks which beat the 10 gors but didn't make them flee.  His unit of 40 executioners advanced to take a position behind a fence.  The rest of his army moved up.  In my turn one, I thought that I could destroy that block of executioners and charged against his wall... 2 tuskgor chariots, Razorgor chariots and the Gorebull Standard barer.  The chariots all passed dangerous terrain and combined with the Gorebull did about 11-12 wounds on impact hits.  The Executioners attacked first and I was shocked when they destroyed all the chariots in that turn!  Even the Toughness 5, 5 wound Razorgor chariot.  I lost that combat.  The BSB was the only thing to survive but he didn't last long after.  In my first magic phase, I caste a spell with irresistible force and the resulting damage from the miscast destroyed a 10 man gor unit and sent the shaman into the chaos void.  I was now down a good chunk of my core, no magic and had a huge block of unbeatable infantry right beside the watch tower.  In the following turn (2), Kyle's witch elves where lead off on a wild goose chase and his coldones on that same flank failed a charge... Finally something was going right.  Kyle beat and destroyed the remaining gors inside the watchtower but couldn't occupy it because he attacked it with cavalry (warlocks).  Now it was around turn 2 that Kyle realized that he could have occupied the Tower with his 40 man Executioners!  (He was under the impression that you can only occupy it with units less then 20 men because of the starting rules for the watch tower scenario.) Unfortunately, this "little" issue was the difference of his army occupying the tower and winning the game and not! 

Without magic defense the following turns of Kyle's magic was brutal!  He caste withering bubble and melted what was left of most of my army.  I was in pretty bad situation but didn't give up hope.  A chariot of mine, charged a unit of 5 warlocks and promptly sank into a marsh and was destroyed.  However, the chariots target (warlocks) fleed, failed to rally, and ran off the table.   In addition, a ghorgon and razorgor chariot charged his 10 coldone knights, broke them, but failed to catch them.  The Knights rallied and destroyed both the ghorgon and razorgor chariot with magic help.  One the other side of the table the DE coldone chariot charged and destroyed a withered Ghorgon.

Right beside the watch tower the executioner unit was still in a good DE position to win the game for Kyle.  This unit had to be held up at all costs and I only had one unit that might have a chance against it, my lone Doombull general which I charged into them!  The Doombull was kitted out just right for maximum survival against this unit: he had +1 Amour save, +4 ward and Always Strike First.  Although Kitted out like this, the DB wasnt likely to survive the odds but the dice gods favored him passing 10 armour saves and 10 ward saves or more?!.  (This fight continued over 5 combat rounds and included minor units charging in to try to brake one side or the other.)  The doombull eventually ground down Executioners until it had only four members left and then it broke, failing to rally before the end of the turn.  The Doombull, wounded but not out, occupied the Tower alone.   Around him the DE where closing in.  The witch elves regained some of the position of the table and where in charge range.  Kyle sent in his repeater bolts from the Dark Riders and hit the tower with magic missiles.  He set up for the final charge... but then we rolled the end of the scenario.  The scenario ended on turn 5.  I won the cheezy Watch Tower scenario with my Doombull general left against his Coldone knights, coldone chariot, witch elves, one unit of warlocks and one unit of 10 Dark riders.  Seems unfair!  Oh well I'll take it!  Thanks for the game, Kyle.  :)

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
... I see that I didn't post it but please use your league army for the finals.  Happy gaming!

Gallagher

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
Sounds good Rob. Maeson and I are playing our game this Sunday. We should have results out that night.

Gallagher

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
Maeson and I played our semi final game today. We rolled blood and glory for our scenario and we each had 7 break points. The game came down to the wire with both armies down to 4 break points. In the final turn the savage orcs, arachnarok spider and witch elves were in close combat. They deadly ladies made mince meat out of half of my savages, and killed the arachnarok. This left just enough boys to tear down the death hag from the couldren of blood and take the winning break point.

Thanks Maeson for the great game and season!

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
Wow, good job Justin! Sounds like Maeson and you had an epic struggle.   Where did you play?

Gallagher

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »
It was a great game. We played at Maeson's place. Any update about the other semi final?

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
Devin and I had a siege game for the first time with my new fortress set.  The game when horrible for me but we had fun so I thought that I would post some notes here. 

Beastmen hate the works of man.  They will stop at nothing to destroy everything that is manmade.  It doesn’t make much sense for Beastmen to occupy a fortress.  However, to make this scenario work we fluffed that the powerful lvl4 Beastmen shaman had a dark dream from the chaos gods.  In this dream he was to occupy the fortress for dark rituals.  Unfortunately for him, the chaos gods also spoke to a tribe of chaos warriors and they came seeking the fortress for their own sacrifices.  Blood for the Blood God!

We used the siege rules from the “Blood in the Badlands”.  Devin was the attacker and I was the defender.  I couldn’t hold back his Demon Prince or Warriors when they attacked.  They conquered the objectives fairly easily.  This was largely due to the -1 to hit modifier (mark of Nurgle) that the warriors had.  When you have Beastmen, you need to produce wounds because you sure as heck don’t get many saves! 

One battle was particularly interesting with all the buffs and debuffs.  His warriors had entered a tower section that gave them both Hatred and Frenzy. They had the mark of Nurgle and where buffed by poisonous attacks.  I counter charged them and then had the best magic phase that I have ever rolled.  I hit them with -3 weapon skill (Miasma) and -3 toughness (Wither).  Then hit my unit with +1 strength, +1 Toughness (Wildform) while they where under the effects of +1 strength bonus from the Beastbanner.  I still ended up losing the combat! 

After this my forward position was too weak to hold back the warriors and they captured the gate section of the fortress.   More warriors stormed in.  Unable to recapture the gate, my relief force (showing up outside the castle on turn 2) was unable to get in to give my any chance at victory. 

Thanks for the game Devin!