Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)

• 149 Replies

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
Sounds like fun Rob. I love the Blood in the Badlands seige rules, I will have to let you defend with your Empire sometime against my Skaven.

Sorry I didn't give any comments on my game with Justin yet as I haven't had time at a computer for a week. It was a good game indeed, tactically I made about 3 bad errors, instances where Justin's dice came through to finish a unit off here and there to make me pay for my mistakes. Most notably, my Corsairs fleeing from his Arachnorok, and getting caught, my Cold Ones trying to outmanuever his Big Uns and getting flanked barely, and then just barely putting my Witch Elves too close to his Savage Orcs that made a LONG charge around some impassable terrain(that I thought would slow them down) where my Death Hag was chopped up barely costing me the game. I should have actually charged said Savage Orcs with my Dragon the turn before the have prevented this but I was scared to. :o There was more than a few instances where the dice just agreed with WAAAAAAAGGGHHHH.

Congrats Justin, now hopefully Allan and Don get their game done so we can declare a champion!(I would personally like to play the loser of that game so I can atleast end up with the bronze  :lol:thumb-up :1: :)

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »
Thanks for the description of your game Maeson.  Always enjoyable to read.

I was informed by Allan and Don that they have tentatively scheduled a game for this Saturday.  This will rap up the semi finals in pretty good time.  Allan, Justin and Don can you start looking ahead to plan out when a good time to get that finals game in!!?  Thanks for working hard to get those finals planned and played. 

Once the finals are played we can start dividing up the prize money.  ComicReaders has once again doubled our league fees with a gift certificate.  As posted on page 1 of the forum the league winner will get $40, and second place with get $30.  There is $10 left in the pool and this will be given away as a random draw to a third league member.  the draw will be made at the store, shortly after the final game has been played.  I just wanted to give a shout out to ComicReaders for there generosity.  And a big thanks for their efforts to support the league by collecting league fees and providing table space in their store. 

Gallagher

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Did a semi final match take place? Looking forward to knowing my next opponent!

squalie

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2014, 07:07:30 AM »
Allan and I had our game.  Allan's High Elves were waaaayyy more disciplined than mine.  Massacre victory for Allan, he was painted I was not.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
So i'm playing Don for the bronze then! If you want to Don, I know your a busy guy.

squalie

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
I'm definitely up for it.  We'll have to figure out a time.

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2014, 06:09:11 AM »
Thanks for the games guys, Allan and Justin have to play the final game and the league will rap up.  At this point we know that Allan and Justin will be claiming the ComicReader 1st and 2nd prizes. I believe that I will be heading down to ComicReaders this Friday between 10-12am so that I can have the random draw for the last prize.  If anyone wants to be there for the draw give me a shout, plans are currently tentative.

Update: I couldn't make it down to Readers on Friday. I will meet up with Chad on Monday to make the draw.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:13:49 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
The random draw was made this morning when I meet up with Chad downtown.  And the winner of the $10 gift certificate was Don!  Congratulations to Don and he can pick up his gift certificate at ComicReaders on his earliest convenience.  ComicReaders supplied the gift certificate and I just wanted to thank them again for supporting the league. Thank you, ComicReaders!

Gallagher

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
Allan and I played the final on Saturday. It was a battle for the pass scenario. The winds of magic were on the orcs side as the elven magic was ineffective and the orcs got many key spells off. Specifically a very angry foot of gork killing 18 white lions! It was a victory for me and a great game to play. Thanks Allan.

Allan Luesink

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »
As Justin said, we had our final this weekend. Once we rolled up the scenario we placed a few hills and buildings and rolled for sides.  I won the roll off and chose a side that had a narrower front to defend due to a group of houses on my left flank. My thinking was that these structures would help anchor my line. It was a false hope. In fact the buildings ended up providing cover for Justin's arachnarok and giant to run into. I found I couldn't effectively shoot at these two units nor could I set up an effective charge on the them. The buildings allow these two units to get close and then ultimately pick the time to jump out and engage me. I did what I could to delay and redirect with my fast cavalry to some success but in the end the fast cavalry could only do so much.  Justin also pointed out that if he had been forced to deploy on the side with the buildings, he would have ended up running out of space for his units and would have had them tripping over each other.

As problematic was my magic phases failing to produce effective winds of magic. I was unable to use my spells effectively, whereas Justin ended up clipping right along with his magic.  He closed the gap, got off Foot of Gork, stomped the crap out of my White Lions and then proceed to maul me in close combat. Really that was about the sum of it.

We had a good time. We were pretty laid back and while I wanted to win I was fine with the lost. On reflection I realized I got beaten in all three phases of the game from a sub-par army list, to horrible choice of deployment (the really Big Mistake), and being out manoeuvred and out fought.

So that wraps it up ... until next time.  :)