Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)

• 149 Replies

RobertP

• View Profile
Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »
General overview:  Warhammer is the table top game of fantasy battles using miniature models players have built and painted.  To support the game we are starting our second Warhmmer Fantasy ladder league.  Anyone that might be interested in joining it is welcome to do so.  Players accumulate points by playing the games or can use challenges to advance themselves to the top of the ‘ladder’. A small $5 fee per player will be collected for prizes.  The league will run for 3 months with a month for finals.  This league is run independent of recent ComicReaders Warhammer Fantasy escalation leagues and all former rules.  However, this league is still supported by ComicReaders but way of gift certificates and gaming space.  Thanks ComicReaders!

Getting Started:
The official sign up period will be now until Nov 30.  Please join the league at any time by posting your name and the army that you wish to use.  There is a minimal charge of $5 and this will go to prizes at the end of the league.  ComicReaders is collecting the league fees so please drop off your money there.  Note that it must be cash, not debit or check or anything like that. 

Players must choose one army to play for the duration of the ladder league unless playing in a special event (special event details below).  Players can change army lists and game point values from game to game.  When both sides agree, players may also choose to play scenarios from the book, special scenarios from the big book, 3+ player mega-battle, a siege, etc.  It is suggested that players try to build up to, and play games at the 2500pt using the basic rulebook’s army composition. 

Location: Games can be played at any location.  ComicReaders Downtown has offered up room in their store.  Space is generally available during store hours with the exception of Friday evening and Saturday.  Call in advance to book a spot if you’re playing at the store during those times.  Players earn +2 bonus points per game played in this location.

Point structure:
League points are earned by playing games.  "Victory points" are gained for playing against league players.  Victory Points = A crushing victory yields 8-2, victory 6-3 and a tie 4-4.  The players can also earn bonus point by: playing a fully painted army +1, ladder challenge battle +1, or playing at ComicReaders Downtown +2.  Players will receive a cumulative -1 point for each game that they play the same person to a minimum of 2.  Points accumulate with the first and second highest point scores determine who will make it to the playoffs.  Special Event:  We will try to plan one special event per league.  Currently this special event is unplanned.  When playing in the special event players receive a bonus of 2pts for participating, plus any additional victory/bonus points they earn.  Players may play any army that they choose for this special event and still receive credit as if they were playing their ladder league army.

In order to further promote the spirit of increased game play, players that play matches involving non league members will still benefit from game count and will receive 2 points for the league.  In addition, players that command a different army from their chosen army will also get 2 points for each game played. 

THE LADDER:
   The ladders system was invented to by Scott Radom and used by Ravaging Hordes in Saskatoon.  It seems to work so we will borrow it.  It is designed to level the playing field between players that can get lots of games in and gamers that can’t.  Here is how it works:  Once per month a player can issue a challenge to someone up to three positions higher on the ladder.  If the challenge is successfully won by the challenger, the player would then move to their spot.  The player that accepted the challenge, but lost, would move down one spot.  In the special case that the first place person was challenged and lost, they will move down 2 spots.  In addition, each person has a single ‘wild card’ challenge that they can use to challenge anyone above them in the standings regardless of position.  Please make it clear to both players that a ladder challenge has been issued by posting it online and posting it in advance of the game!  The challenge can be played at any agreed point value and in any location.  Inactive players fall to the bottom of the ladder any month they do not play at least one game (Dec/Jan/Feb).

League Final:
The top two players on the ladder and the top two in points makes it into the semifinals.  If player(s) are at the top of both the ladder and Points sides of the league, players on the ladder will be bumped into the semifinal games. Semifinals: The top ladder will play the second place in points.  The top points will play the second place on the ladder.  Semi finals must be played between March 1-20.  Finals: The winners of the semifinal games will playoff for the league winner.  The final game will be held between March 21-31 - or before if players agree.  Games will be played at 2500pts unless there are circumstances that you can't play at that point level.  If any games end in a draw the player with the most games played will be declared the victor. 

Prizes:  ComicReaders will be matching dollar for dollar your league fees.  This will be returned back in the form of a gift certificate for anything in their store.  All league fees are returned back to the league players.  First place will get $40 gift card at ComicReaders.  Second place will get $30.  We will make a random draw for the remaining money with the players that didn't claim a prize.  This random draw will be capped at $30.  A second draw will occur if there is money left in the pool. 

Reporting All battles need to be reported in this forum so that I can keep track and up-to-date.  Remember to count all the "victory points" as we have to distinguish between crushing victory or just victory.  Also take note if people's armies are painted (typically 3 different colours, each model).  The league is self policing so play fair and report accurately.  Please report battles promptly, thanks!

Other than that everyone just needs to have fun and play fair!

A big thanks to ComicReaders for their help with supplying gift certificates, gaming room and collection of the league fees.

Edited:  Distinguished between Victory points and bonus points.
Edited:  Dec 20 - updated 'League Final' and 'Prizes'
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:24:51 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Ladder League (winter 2013/14)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
Questions and Answers:

Q) I am at the top of the ladder and someone below me has challenged me.  What incentive is there for me to play them?
A) There are several reason why you want to accept a challenge.  They are all of these reasons at the same time:
- for league points, you will get an extra bonus point for playing a ladder challenge.
- Ladder challenges places more on the line and can create more interest and hype (from yourself or others that might want to watch!)
- self policing; it could be seen as poor sportsmanship to intentionally duck challenges.  Nobody wants to be "that guy".

Q) I have 600pts and the guy challenging me has 14.  I don't want to lose all my points!
A) You don't lose your points in a challenge, only the position you are on the ladder.  In this case you have only the ladder position to lose but gain the extra points.

Q) Can you explain the point system with an example?
A) Robert and Justin have a game and they tie.  They are both in the league but Robert was playing his non-league Empire, painted army.  Robert would earn no victory points for the tie because it was his non-league army.  However, he would pick up 2pts for playing and +1pts for painted bonus.  Justin would get 4pts for the tie because it was against Robert a league player.   
A2) If Justin had instead played Bruce (a non league player), and if Justin had tied that game, he would have got 2pts (and not the 4 tie "victory points").  Justin is still eligible to gain additional points for playing with a painted army and/or playing at ComicReaders.   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:26:42 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »
The Ladder 
1) Allan Luesink (Allan Luesink) - High Elves                   
2) Justin Gallaghar (Gallaghar) - Orcs and some goblins 
3) Maeson (Prince of Arnheim) - Dark Elves                   
4) Robert Possberg (robertp) - Beastmen                       
5) Don Matwe (squalie) - High Elves                               
6) Devin B (Devinb) - Warriors of Choas
7) Chris Smith (Yolanka) - Vampire Counts
8) Kyle Williams (Kyle_Williams) - Dark Elves

Ladder movement:
Dec 13 - Maeson's challenge successful. Maeson moves from 6th to 3rd.  Robert (lost) drops to 4th - Meason's Dec challenge
Dec 15 - Kyle challenge unsuccessful.  Maeson/Kyle maintain position - Kyle's Wildcard challenge
Jan 25 - Allan challenge successful.  Allan moves from 2nd to 1st.  Justin (lost) drops to 2nd - Allan Jan challenge
Mar 28 - Robert challenged unsuccessful.  Maeson/Robert maintain positino - Robert's Feb challenge

Games played:
Nov 15 - Rob won massacre, painted (9).  Justin loss massacre, unpainted (2)
Dec 5 - Kyle won regular, unpainted, in store (8).  Robert lost, painted, in store (6)
Dec 13 - Maeson regular victory, painted, challenge (8).  Robert loss, painted, challenge (5)
Dec 13 - Kyle won regular, unpainted (6).  Chris lost, unpainted (3)
Dec 14 - Squalie played 3 games vs non-leauge members, (2 reg loss, 1 massacre loss), all three painted (9)
Dec 15 - Maeson won regular, painted, challenge (8).  Kyle lost regular, challenge (4)
Dec 21 - Allan won regular, painted (7).  Maeson lost, painted (4)
Dec 21 - Allan won massacre, painted (9).  Devin massacre loss, unpainted (2)
Dec 22 - Maeson won massacre, painted (9).  Justin massacre loss, unpainted (2)
Jan 2 - Maeson won massacre vs non-league player Nathan, painted (3).
Jan 15 - Meason won massacre, painted, store (11). Devin massacre loss, unpainted, store (4)
Jan 25 - Robert two games vs non-league players (Justin/Sean), painted, special event (8)
Jan 25 - Don two games vs non-league players (Justin/Sean), painted, special event (8)
Jan 25 - Maeson special event (2)
Jan 25 - Allan regular victory, painted, ladder challenge (8). Justin reg loss, painted, ladder challenge (5)
Feb 15 - Don's games day: Don played 9 games, 9xpainted (27).  Record (4xMW, 1Reg, 1Draw, 3xML)
Feb 22 - Maeson won mass, painted, -1 played same person (8).  Allan/Robert, minimum 2pts, +1 painted each (3).*
(*NOTE: Allan and Robert both played Maeson for the second time (-1 point).  Collectively they lost, earning 2pts each.  The minimum "Victory Points" is 2 so they earn the minimum.  Allan and Robert are both painted and still earn the "Bonus points" of +1.)
Feb 22 - Maeson regular victory, painted, -1 played same person (6).  Justin regular loss, non painted, -1 played same person (2). 
Feb 28 - Maeson won mass, painted, -2 played same person three times, challenge (8).  Robert, min 2pt, painted, challenge (4). 
** See link below with all the point totals and games played (updated to the end of Jan).
March 15 - Semi Finals - Justin (2nd place ladder) upsets Maeson (1st place points)
March 22 - Semi Finals - Allan (1st place ladder) crushing victory over Don (2nd place points)
March 30 - Don was the Random Draw winner! - $10 ComicReader Giftcertificate
TBA - Finals - Allan vs Justin

See how the your spot on the league was determined:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkm9xQVJeC4

Edit:
Dec 2 - created ladder, updated games played list
Dec 7 - updated "games played"
Dec 14 - updated "games played"
Dec 20 - updated all areas and "games played" section.  Added the PDF (below) with full Point stats of the games played
Jan 8 - updated the "games played" list.  Updated the PDF attachment (see below) with full point stats. 
Feb 5 - corrected Maeson's Win/Loss ratio on the PDF. Updated ladder moves (Allan takes 1st and Justin drops to 2nd)
Feb 5 - updated "games played" list.  Uploaded Jan PDF attachment (see below) with full point stats.
Feb 15 - updated "games played" list.
Feb 26 - updated "games played" list. Added a "mid-Fed" points updated list.
Feb 28 - updated "games played" list, ladder, and posted the point results and attached the PDF for these results.
March 31 - updated "games played" list with semi finals.  Added draw winner.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:11:57 PM by RobertP »

RobertP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
My name is Robert Possberg and I will be playing BEASTMEN for this winter league!

squalie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:08 AM »
My name is Don Matwe and I will play High Elves!

Rob Possberg should be applauded as this format, as written, is pretty much perfect!  Very well done Possberg, I very much look forward to playing in this league. 

Awesome!

Allan Luesink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
My name is Allan Luesink and I, too, will play High Elves.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
I think my name is Maeson, I think I will be playing Dark Elves since there will be a few High Elf players tip toeing around :neener

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:36:22 AM »
My name is Allan Luesink and I, too, will play High Elves.

I don't mean to hijack the post, but this is a friendly reminder for Allan that he still has a gift card at ComicReaders Downtown. It's on file so just ask the staff for it next time you're in.

Allan Luesink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »
Thanks for that reminder, Chad.  I'll try and get down this week and use that up (just need to decide what paint colours I need).

Gallagher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:42:53 AM »
Hi this is Justin Gallagher and I would like to bring Zorbug Best Basha's (O&G) to the league.