Scars of Mirrodin ****SPOILERS****

Started by Jason Doan, September 04, 2010, 09:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Doan

Stop reading now if you want to remain unspoiled.

So they showed off a whole bunch of cards at PT: Amsterdam and PAX today including some of the biggies...

Mox Opal - 0
Legendary Artifact (Mythic)
Metalcraft - Tap for 1 of any color if you control 3+ artifacts

Hmmmmm....this could be absolutely horrible or completely broken depending on what they print to go with it...obviously it's an auto include in every vintage list and some Legacy lists...The fact that it is Legendary will keep the price in check somewhat as it won't be a 4 of in many decks unless they print an easy way to cycle the spares out of your hand, in which case all bets are off.

Elspeth Tirel 3WW
Planeswalker - Elspeth (Mythic)
+2: Gain 1 life per creature you control
-2: Put 3 1/1 soldiers into play
-5: Destroy all other permanents except lands and Tokens.

Too bad Elspeth 1.0 is rotating out at the same time this comes in, there's some nice synergy between their 2 ultimates.  Either way, this will see a ton of play in UW control decks and I suppose if Knight_Exemplar.dec turns out to be a thing this will be pretty devestating in it as well.

Venser, the Sojonor 3UW
+2: Exile target permanent you own. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
-1: Creatures are unblockable this turn.
-8: You gain an emblem with "Whenever you cast a spell, exile target permanent."

Remove and return your Wall of Omens, draw a card...Remove and return an Aether Adept to bounce one of their creatures...Remove and return your titan to get 2 uses out of it every turn?  Yikes...Exile Venser himself to protect him from your Elspeth's ultimate...ya that seems pretty good too.

Tempered Steel 1WW
Enchantment (Rare)
Artifact Creatures you control get +2/+2

Ya, I suppose this could be good depending on what artifact creatures get printed...

Gold Myr - 2
Artifact Creature - Myr
T: Add W to your Mana Pool
1/1

Reprints of the whole cycle were spoiled.-

Memnite - 0
Artifact Creature - Construct
1/1

Yep...a 1/1...for 0...no power creep here...Turn 1 Plains, Memnite, Memnite, Opal, Gold Myr...Turn 2 Land, Tempered Steel, swing for 9?  Seems Ok...Too bad Open the Vaults is going away, or this sort of deck could get pretty sill pretty quickly. How about...Turn 1 Island, Memnite, Memnite, Opal, Silver Myr...Turn 2 Land, Jace?

Steel Hellkite - 6
Artifact Creature - Dragon - Rare
Flying
2: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
X: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost X whose controller was dealt combat damage by ~ this turn. Use this ability only once each turn.

Seems Okay...

That's enough for now, all the other spoilers are out here on other sites...Discuss away...

Jason Doan

Some More...

I'll call this one now...Jank mythic, unplayable in any constructed format...bomby as hell in limited though.

Cool, spellbombs are back, and this time you can do something with them AND draw a card...again, not super constructed worthy without Storm, but will be solid picks in draft.

An instant with proliferate and it cantrips?  This will be good enough to see some play in a deck looking to cheat at adding counters to things.

There's a few more less exciting ones on WotC's site.

Tempest

At this point in time, pretty much any dragon is jank considering BSA still exists. Unless they start throwing protection from white on dragons. I would have the lulz.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Jason Doan

Some fairly unimpressive spoilers today....

Woohoo...Clone for 7...just what everyone has been clamoring for....and it's a mythic...sigh.

I'm not going to say this isn't going to see play, because I'm sure in a world full of artifacts, artifact removal will be good...but right now this just looks like a much worse Qasali Pridemage.

Erick Holstein

I want one of those Janky Mythic dragons in foil for EDH... that is all...
Carpe Diem Quam Minime Credula Postero

Jason Doan

Yes, it will in fact be an awesome EDH card...1 might even go in the Doran deck as it's still a little light on flyers.

Jason Doan

Now this is more like it....

Contagion Clasp's big brother...10 mana give all your opponents creatures -3/-3 and pump all your stuff to stupid levels...serious Johnny card right here...likely too slow for Standard but will be a huge bomb in Sealed or Draft.

X Mana for an X/X...again, seems limited good but isn't likely to see much constructed play...pretty cool with a bunch of proliferaters though.

Sort of like a fixed Platinum Angel?  You can still lose the game, just not through damage...once again 8 drops don't see constructed play without easy ways to cheat them in to play, and currently there are much better targets for those sorts of shenanigans anyway...but holy crap would i not mind opening one in my Sealed pool.

Boom...Mindslaver is back...and it's Mythic.

And one more reprint...can't wait to build a deck with some of these and some Stoneforge Mystics...Too bad there aren't any other decent cards in those colours :P

Jason Doan

A couple more from the mothership tonight...

Now that's something that actually seems Mythic and it'll be awesome in EDH...also a mill X effect will be a gamebreaker in limited...I'm really starting to think that this could be an absolutely amazing set for limited.

Why oh why couldn't it be a fish, where's the merfolk love WotC?  But I digress...this should see some actual play...turning all your weenies into Sol Rings so you can drop a bomb sounds pretty awesome.

Tempest

A lot of people are really upset that mindslaver is back. Those people are dumb.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Jason Doan

The more I think about Grand Architect the more I dig it...A simple line of something like, Turn 1 Kraken Hatchling, Turn 2 Looter, Turn 3 Grand Architect lets you tap your 3 dudes and drop the Wurmcoil Engine...or a more magic Christmassy draw would let you drop a turn 3 or 4 Eldrazi which would of course be hilarious...and even without those last 2 abilities, it could still be a 3rd lord in a Standard aggro fish deck.