Chewsday Challenge Formula D Leage: Discussion/Sign-up

• 51 Replies

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: Chewsday Challenge Formula D Leage: Discussion/Sign-up
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
Haha, I had to think about that one for a second, but then I remembered, that's the one with that giant jump right before the end. I've had a few times making the approach then BOOM shell and I fall to my doom and much swearing ensues. That's pretty much EXACTLY how this one works. I have a feeling if more than one person misses their jump it'll create two distinct packs.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
I thought I should make a note, mostly for my own reference about the blocking section. I may have violated this in the past, so don't let me forget about this:
Clarification on Blocking
You must make choices along your path that will enable you to go as far as possible. In other words you cannot intentionally ram another vehicle if there is a path for you to take that would allow your car to go farther.

D'oh.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »
Oh, I'll post my schematics in the standing thread in case anyone wants inspiration or whatever. If anyone catches this in time, if you send me your specs I'll update the appropriate post as well, otherwise, I can just verify before the race starts.

CappyZed

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: CappyZed
  • Name: Damien Ryall
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
What if your only options are multiple collisions?  For instance...stop here, hit car A, stop there, hit car B. can you choose which to hit?

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
I think the rule is there to avoid super malicious driving (which I am rather guilty of) so, I'd say in your example that you'd still want to try and go as far as possible. So, if car A is farther ahead than car B, you'd aim for car A. Although, the more I think about it, I'm not sure how much I like the idea, since sometimes your goal ISN'T to get as far as possible in a given turn; i.e., if you want to come up short before you hit a turn and similar situations.

In any case, I'd hope that everyone follows the rule as closely as possible; I'm not going to make a big stink if people don't though. Bumping is a viable strategy, and I respect that. Plus, we're here to have fun... being too rules lawyer-y might take away from that... so long as bumping doesn't take away more haha. I mean, braking just to hit people seems a bit too over-the-top rude, so let's try and avoid stuff like that... other than that though, whatever. I have no way of enforcing rules except asking people nicely to follow the rules anyways.

So, final verdict: try and go as far as possible unless it's counter-intuitive to your next turn.

Bryce Robinson

• AKA Bryce, Him, That Guy, What's his name.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
  • BGG ID: brycrbnsn
  • Name: Bryce Robinson
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Pre-race action shot.
I take requests. See my collection here. http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/brycrbnsn

craftybernardo

• SHAZAM !
    • View Profile
  • BGG ID: craftybernardo
  • Name: Brent Stephansson
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
Hey tempest , i met you at the last chewsday challenge , played tzolk'in with you , was hoping to get in on this if at all possible

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 03:17:07 AM »
Definitely. Have a look over the league rules if you haven't already, I'll post some attachments that give a short version of the rules, but don't worry, if you have any questions you can ask me, and I will do a proper run through this Tuesday.

To all of our racers, I have decided we will be doing a second street race on The Docks. I will post screenshots ASAP, hopefully within the next 24 hours. Like our last race, we will be using custom builds including the special street race powers as posted earlier in the the thread. One of the attachments I have included in the thread for your amusement or for your utility is a blank racer card that you can use as a quick reference. Enjoy!

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »
Here's the rough draft of a little something I have in mind.

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
Alrighty, sorry for the last-minute update, but I've added a couple basic screenshots of the docks. I had it broken down into sections, but I didn't want to upload too many things at once here. Instead, I've included a zoomed-out view, and the starting area, which is the most important. So, the way this race is gonna go down, and I'll explain when we're setting up as well, is that we are doing a standard 2-lap street race. This track lends itself to a 3-lap endurance race, but in the words of the internet "ain't nobody got time fo dat." I've modified the rules very slightly from what came with the tracks; I'll include the whole thing and show what I edited in red:

Classic Start or side-by side start.
No matter the length of the race, you may choose from the classic start (red start area) or the side-by-side start (green start area).

We will be doing the side-by-side start.

Route selection based on number of laps

Classic Start: Each car must first take loop #1, then loop #2 (if race is at least 2 laps), then loop #3 (in a 3 lap race).
In-Line Start: Choose one option:
  • Depending on race length, cars complete the loops in order (1-3)
  • Depending on race length, cars complete in the following order: loop 1, loop 3, loop 2
  • For a 3 lap race, cars can complete the loops in any order. The central hub is large enough to allow players to reach the loop of their choice. Watch out for cross-traffic!

We'll essentially be using the third option; players can choose whichever loop they want, but they may not do the same loop twice. Note that the pit is only available on the middle loop, so choose carefully!

Central Hub
The rules for driving on straights apply to the central hub: zig-zagging is forbidden (except when avoiding an obstacle), but you can cross as many lanes as you wish as long as it is in one direction (left or right)

The Pit
The pits are located in an abandoned warehouse. Entrance is through a door on one end, with the pits on either side of the pit road. The exit is through a door at the other end. The standard pit rules apply. Only loop #3 provides access to the pits.

Yay for flavour? I don't know why they call it loop #3, since it's clearly the middle loop.

The Refinery
There is an oil spill on the track by the refinery that makes the track extra slick. When your movement ends on a space covered by the oil slick, roll the black die. If the result is equal or lower than your current gear, lose 1 road handling WP.

The Container Zone
In this zone, the rules for driving on straights still apply but you can cross as many lanes as you wish as long as it is in one direction (left or right).

So, pretty straightforward, yes? Each of the loops provides it's own challenge. Essentially the first one is shortest, but it also has a lot of corners and short straights, so you'll have to go through in lower gears. Loops 2 and 3 each offer longer straightaways and shorter stops, but have their own challenges. The middle loop has the aptly named "Tetris Bend", a 3-stop turn, and loop 3 has the oil slick which could present drivers with some difficulty.

[attachment deleted by admin]