Chewsday Challenge - North Albert Boston Pizza - March 26th, 2013 (18:00)

Started by Dana_Tillusz, February 24, 2013, 03:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana_Tillusz

*** ChewsDay Challenge ***
Brought to you by

...and...

What: ChewsDay Challenge Boardgame Night.
Where: Boston Pizza, North Albert Street (Regina)
When: Every ChewsDay Night.
Who: Anyone interested in playing boardgames.
Why: Life is Short; Play Games!

THIS WEEK'S EVENT AMBASSADOR: Dana Tillusz
THIS WEEK'S GAME HOST: Matt Robertson
THIS WEEK'S FEATURE GAME: Citadels

:excited :scrab-g :scrab-a :scrab-m :scrab-e :scrab-blank :scrab-s :scrab-c :scrab-h :scrab-e :scrab-d :scrab-u :scrab-l :scrab-i :scrab-n :scrab-g  :excited
GAME: Citadels
TEACHER: Matt Robertson
START TIME: 6:30
DURATION: 90 minutes
PLAYERS...
1. Matt Robertson
2. Cordawg
3. Baerik
4. gvpackrat

GAME: Small World Realms
TEACHER: Tempest
START TIME: 7:00
DURATION: 120 - 150 Minutes
PLAYERS...
1. Tempest
2. CappyZed
3. Becky
4. Zircules

GAME: Pillars of Earth
TEACHER: Guy Ouellette
START TIME: 6:30
DURATION: 120 Minutes
PLAYERS...
1. Guy Ouellette
2. Bellis
3. Niclagi
4. Mike Gallagher
5. Deb
6. David

If you would like to schedule a game. Please post in this event thread with the following information:
Name of the game, when you would like to start, The duration of the game, and the number of players it can accommodate.
Snikt!

Dana_Tillusz

In Citadels, players take on new roles each round to represent characters they hire in order to help them acquire gold and erect buildings. The game ends at the close of a round in which a player erects her eighth building. Players then tally their points, and the player with the highest score wins.

Players start with a number of building cards in their hand; buildings come in five colors, with the purple buildings typically having a special ability and the other colored buildings providing a benefit when you play particular characters. At the start of each round, the player who was king the previous round discards one of the eight character cards at random, chooses one, then passes the cards to the next player, etc. until each player has secretly chosen a character. Each character has a special ability, and the usefulness of any character depends upon your situation, and that of your opponents. The characters then carry out their actions in numerical order: the assassin eliminating another character for the round, the thief stealing all gold from another character, the wizard swapping building cards with another player, the warlord optionally destroys a building in play, and so on.

On a turn, a player earns two or more gold (or draws two building cards then discards one), then optionally constructs one building (or up to three if playing the architect this round). Buildings cost gold equal to the number of symbols on them, and each building is worth a certain number of points. In addition to points from buildings, at the end of the game a player scores bonus points for having eight buildings or buildings of all five colors.

BBG link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/478/citadels
Snikt!

Cordawg

Baerik

Tempest

It wouldn't be a month of Chewsday Challenge for me if I didn't run at least one game of Smallworld. This time I think I'll run Smallworld Realms, which works the same as Smallworld/Underground, but this time it's a tile-building game. There are different options of play that basically come down to either a scenario from the book versus just making a map and playing on it. Knowledge of previous Smallworld games isn't necessary, as I can teach how it works all the same. The set up is a bit longer, so I'd say it takes about 2 to 2 and a half hours. I'd like to start this one at 6:30 as well.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Stine

Jeff Haubrich

"Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules."

Guy Ouellette

Hi folks, I am posting that I will be bringing the game Pillars of the Earth.  Up to six players  see more details on BoardGameGeeks here:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24480/the-pillarsof-the-earth

Game time 120 minutes after explanation.  Would like to start at 6:30 or so

Bellis

Please add my name to Pillars of the Earth. (And thanks for the personal "heads up" Guy.)

Jeff Haubrich

"Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules."