Chewsday Challenge - North Albert Boston Pizza - November 13th, 2012 (18:00)

Started by Dana_Tillusz, November 06, 2012, 03:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadBoudreau

Sure, Jeff, just keep an eye on upcoming posts about future dates and fit yourself in where you think it would work best for you.

Mahtan

I'll sign on for Catan, if possible, and also stick around for the second game and play whatever's open. I'll bring Forbidden Island and Smallworld if anyone wants to try those.

Bellis

Quote from: Jeff Haubrich on November 12, 2012, 08:12:42 PM
I picked up Elder Sign on Saturday, and I would be interested in hosting a session on the 27th or in December if that works-Jeff

Hey Jeff, I am interested in learning/playing Elder Sign. I should be available to play on any time slot you wish for the dates you mentioned. Thanks!

ChadBoudreau

mendicantcrow and Mahtan: You are signed up for Settlers.

Marc's game of Settlers of Catan is now full up, folks. But there will be lots more games on the table tomorrow night so you'll have plenty of gaming options.

Theodain

ChadBoudreau

Another Tuesday has passed and that means it's time to prepare for the next Chewsday Challenge! But before we do that, let's take a look at what went down last night at Boston Pizza North.

Attendance
21! A great turn-out once again. I met some people I had not yet had the honor of meeting, and there were some first-timers, including Debra, David, Nikki, Tyler, and Bryce. It was also great to see Guy at the gaming table again. He came down last night to lend a hand, knowing that Dana, Matt, and Colin were in Dallas for BGGcon. Guy taught Stone Age, and it seemed like everyone enjoyed the game. So, thanks, Guy!

Games Played
- Stone Age
- Backgammon
- Settlers of Catan
- X-Wing: Star Wars Miniatures Game
- Six
- Hemloch
- Elk Fest
- Fzzzt
- Forbidden Island
- Game of Thrones LCG
- Snake Oil

I already gave a shout out to Guy for teaching Stone Age, so this one is for Marc, who taught Settlers of Catan. He started the night with a four-player game, and I noticed that game was followed immediately by another-- this one a three-player. Feedback from the players was positive.

I had committed to running X-Wing. Interest was so high that I stepped back and let the rookies take the reins. It took me 45 minutes to prepare the playing area but it was worth the effort. Folks were drawn to the table like moths to a flame as the starfield map was laid out and as the highly detailed minis were put into position. Even the Boston Pizza server came by for an appreciative look! I ran through the rules and felt like Adrimal Ackbar unveiling the plans for the destruction of the shield generator on Endor. The recruits were standing around the game table at attention, soaking in the details. After that, it was to the ships, to the stars, and May the Force Be With You.

At the onset it was a game of Space Chicken, with Rebels and Imperials coming straight at each other with weapons hot. Just shy of the point of contact, the Rebels drew back on the accelerators and thus both Imperials and Rebels got their first shots. The Imperials next decided to cut left and right (presumably hoping to swoop around behind the Rebels they had hoped would accelerate), but Luke Skywalker ordered his squad to lay off the throttle and thus the sharp-turning Imperials found themselves with their sides and rears in the firing arc of the enemy.

After that close shave, the game was in the hands of the Rebels, but late in the game the tide shifted and it would be the Imperials that walked away the victors.

The Imperials lost 2 of their 5 ships. The Rebels lost 2 of their 3 ships. Luke Skywalker (and R2-D2) were the final Rebels, but with a badly crippled X-Wing and facing the three remaining Imperials, Corey (playing Luke) admitted defeat and thus brought the game to a close.

As a moderator, it was great fun watching these guys get so into the game. Late in the game, strategic planning was intense, with both teams stepping away from the starfield to discuss tactics.

Fantastic! I'd love to bring X-Wing out again!

Odds and Ends
Got to give thanks to the Boston Pizza server that took care of us all night. And to Boston Pizza (once again) for allowing us the use of the space.

Game of Thrones LCG was once again in play. One of these days, I'll have to ask one of the players to show me how that game works.

It pleases me to see Forbidden Island getting so much love. Great little game with the right level of tension.

And two final thanks from me: One to Julian for taking Elk Fest for a spin with me. (Great little dexterity game.) And to Jason, Barry, Tyler, Debra, Guy, Julian, and Meghan for a rousing game of Snake Oil. The best pitch of the night (for me) was when I was The Mayor and Tyler delivered his sound reasoning (with mathematics!) for a Toe Tax.

Tempest

Yeah, gotta say Snake Oil was pretty fun. There's a good chance I'll be picking that up for the holidays. Kinda reminds me of Apples to Apples, but with an almost RP element... you definitely have to 'get into it'. Also, I really enjoyed Stone Age, which reminded me a fair bit of Lords of Waterdeep, which I played last week. Both of which I'd definitely enjoy playing again.  All in all, another good night, thanks to everyone who made it possible!
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Cordawg

Thank you chad for teaching us xwing and I would play xwing again and well snake oil looked very fun