ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer Fantasy Escalation League - Season 1.5

• 377 Replies

Dean Dodge

• View Profile
Re: ComicReaders Downtown - Warhammer Fantasy Escalation League - Season 1.5
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
I'm in- with Dwarfs. Haven't played those ugly little things in a while.

Dean Dodge
789-8503

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
Official Ruling: You are allowed to change Lore game to game, BUT you must have it in place before you know what is being fielded by your opponent.

We consulted with Games Workshop on this one. i.e. we consulted a higher power for this answer.   :)

Mike.L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
so.... we have the ability to change it, but not after we know what we are playing against? heres the issue i can see with this:

- since everyone is playing the same armies, and we know what armies those are, and by extension generally whats in them, such as deans dwarves... there is no point at wich "but not after you know what your opponent is fielding" comes into effect. if i was to arrange a game with dean, today for sunday, i know im playing his dwarves, and if i had played him before or watched one of his games before i know what he has.

now, im not saying that im going to change my lore or pick a lore to wreck dwarves, but whats to say that dean dosent feel that i did? heres my soultion to the issue:

1. lores (if multiple are available) must be selected pre game. without disclosing to the oppenet. (so write them down, pull out one of the lore cards, etc) then this way, lores are selected with somewhat impartial basis and prevents "lore countering", then are revealed and rolled for as normal

2. either that, or lores must be pre selected and are treated like wargear. (so changable each month) - wich albeit goes against my personal opinion (i would like to be able to change and experiment with diffirent lores each game) but i would rather avoid any accusations of "tailoring to counter armies with magic" and just stick with one. (changing it at the month end if i really dont like how it works)

anyway, thats just my thoughts. as always i defer to the rulings of the league mods. - and if lore changing stays as ruled i promise to keep my lore selection as impartial and fair as i can, while still being competetive.

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »
Official Ruling: You are allowed to change Lore game to game, BUT you must have it in place before you know what is being fielded by your opponent.

The "what is being fielded by your opponent" is not in reference to what army your opponent is playing. You'll know that, of course. So you pick your lore if you're playing Dean's Dwarves but when you come to the game that day you can't decide to change your lore.

So pick your opponent. Arrange your game. Pick your lore. Show up. No lore change. Play.

Lareina

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
You're not allowed to choose after knowing specifics of the army is how I understood it, like taking fire magic against something with regeneration.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 03:41:14 AM »
The rulebook says that lores must be listed on the arnylist for each player, if we are not allowed to change armylists during the month then you  shouldnt be able to change lores during that month!

Dean Dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »
Lores don't matter to me.  :lol If I was playing an army that cared it might matter a tiny bit. Since 8th edition I have not personally seen a game that was won by lore selection.
I think being able to change lores for different opponents is fine.  :2cents

ChadBoudreau

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »

The ruling stands. You can change your lore each game, but you can't change your lore once you see the specifics of your opponent's army.

Lareina

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »
Chris (ogres) and I (dark elves) will be playing, but neither of us will be available until the latter half of November.

Yolanka

• Chris S
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
Looking forward to playing more games.  As Lareina said, I'll be busy moving in early November so probably won't be available much for games until somewhere around the 10th or so. 

Since Ogres must take Maw lore for a butcher/slaughtermaster and fire for a firebelly, the lore choice won't affect me anyway.  It'll be good for new players (the ideal target for an escalation league IMO) to be able to try different lores and see what works and doesn't work against certain opponents.  Personally if I had a choice of lores I'd probably field a different one each game/opponent just to experiment.  I'm going to use the escalation games to experiment with different stuff and try to learn about my army, but if someone want to counter me with a purple sun (which I hear devastates ogres) then so be it.  I'll just have to learn how to hunt your mage more efficiently  :lol

That, and if I honestly believe they chose a lore specifically to counter what they know I fielded from the last month, then I'll reflect that in the sportsmanship score card.  Oh, and that just made me remember that "games played with an opponent you have played in the previous month will not be counted for points", so the worst that can happen is I play someone in 1000 and then 2000 point games, where I've got a whole 1000 points of new stuff they don't know about that their lore may not necessarily be super-effective against anyway.