Game: Railways Of The World (2-6 Players)

• 21 Replies

Jolo

• View Profile
    • ToonCon
  • BGG ID: Xlyce
Re: Game: Railways Of The World
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »
Guy, that is how Age of Steam handles it.

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
  • BGG ID: Bixby
  • Name: Matt Robertson
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Popular Variants and Amendments: (This is copied and altered from BoardGameGeek).
:scrab-a Turn Order Auction. (We always play with this)

This is pretty much a variant of Age of Steam rules, the only difference is that the first out is free, everyone else pays half their bid except the winner.

Interesting idea Jolo, I kind of like that, as a matter of fact I will implement this when I host,  this should stop the out of control betting just for the sake of betting to inflate the price! I assume that for the odd bets say $7,000 the half payment for paying would be rounded up like $4,000  to avoid the constant odd number betting ?

Thanks

You know Guy; I think this would be a good one to try. I did not like it when I first read it, but I am curious about the dynamic. Let's give this a go our next game.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
:scrab-b Reveal Major Lines. (We always play with this)
I thought this was in the rules, at least it is how I play it

You are correct. This was NOT in Railroad Tycoon and they added it for Railways of the World. Thanks for the catch.

Jason Schmidt

• View Profile
    • Intimate Saskatoon Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
 :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5: :0: :0: 8.5/10

I enjoyed this game. I felt the length of the game was appropriate. The quality of the counters was good, in my opinion. Only thing I didn't really like was that it was hard to judge how much longer the game would take. The mechanic that caused this was the resupply of depleted cities, which I thought was a good mechanic, but I just didn't like how it affected the game length. The main reason this was an issue was because my wife kept calling asking when I'd be done  ::)

Jon

• View Profile
  • BGG ID: 151423
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »
This is likely my favourite all time game. If I play with others who can also get into it, I find myself soon standing, not only because of the huge board size (I am talking about Railroad Tycoons which is the same game but an earlier printing) but because the game is just so dang exciting that I can't stay sitting. The only problem for me is that since it is close to 2 hours I find it harder to find players, hence, I don't get it onto the table as often as I would like.

My highest ever game rating goes to this game, a  :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :5:

Jolo

• View Profile
    • ToonCon
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
This is likely my favourite all time game. If I play with others who can also get into it, I find myself soon standing, not only because of the huge board size (I am talking about Railroad Tycoons which is the same game but an earlier printing) but because the game is just so dang exciting that I can't stay sitting. The only problem for me is that since it is close to 2 hours I find it harder to find players, hence, I don't get it onto the table as often as I would like.

Next time we are in Morse we should get together, I believe we have mutual friends there named G'Kar and Londo...

Matt Robertson

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

Next time we are in Morse we should get together, I believe we have mutual friends there named G'Kar and Londo...

Jolo! Your star is rising... :D

Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
Hmmm, no. Maybe you are thinking of my friend Aaron who is from Morse. I game with him as often as possible. That being said I am always up to meeting and gaming with new people so it still might be able to work.

Jolo

• View Profile
    • ToonCon
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
Hmmm, no. Maybe you are thinking of my friend Aaron who is from Morse. I game with him as often as possible. That being said I am always up to meeting and gaming with new people so it still might be able to work.

Rob & Leah's dogs...

Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
Ahhhhh, no I haven't met their dogs, definitely HAVE gamed with them, though.