• View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
  • BGG ID: HeavyD
This is forum is for the following:...

Questions
    Scheduling games
    Battle reports
    General discussion

...regarding ComicReaders' Warhammer Fantasy Escalation League - Season 1.

You can find League structure, rules, etc here.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:55:26 AM by Dana_Tillusz »
Snikt!

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
  • Name: Maeson Livingston
Are the creators of this league sure that they want to alter the army comp % system. I have been tinkering on armybuilder trying to make an army that has 50% core in 500 points, doesn't leave much room for fun stuff, actually it is almost impossible to take the required 3 units that every Warhammer army must have, let alone a general as well.

Dana_Tillusz

• bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
What army are you playing that you can't do this?
Snikt!

Lareina

This league structure was given to us by GW, so one would hope that they thought of the degree of difficulty of fitting an army within 500 points. You might not be able to field special units because of the points restriction, it's more to keep a fairly even playing field just so then one person doesn't dominate all the time.

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
Just a couple questions before I get myself into trouble:

Do we have to have 3 units of troops, or is it ok to have say one big 250 point unit and then a cannon and say a gyrocopter, if I was playing Dwarfs for example?

Is there a link to the GW escalation rules anywhere Lareina? Are they up to date with 8th edition cause I can't find them anywhere.

I am concerned/disappointed that the already solid comp system would be altered, especially for smaller battles. I feel it brings a disadvantage to some armies, especially the out of date ones, and gives armies like Skaven and Goblins who have dirt cheap support options too much power. I also think it will affect the variety and tactical options that make Warhammer the fun game that it is. I know I am not really going into detail here or being specific, but armies like Ogres and Warriors of Chaos might have trouble?

I just think it would be more fun to allow for players to have more of an Multiple Small Units approach with lot's of variety and fun stuff,
just my opinion. If something ain't broke don't fix it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:48:43 PM by Prince of Arnheim »

Lareina

The rules are just the ones that are posted in the other thread that is linked by Dana, it was provided to us by our GW rep. I can get Chad to ask the GW rep whether or not it needs to be 3 units of troops.

Swarm armies may have a distinct advantage in the first few months, but in the end everything should balance out.

squalie

• View Profile
Wow, talk about Johnny-come-lately.  I was looking all over and strangely enough eventually found the league thread under "League".

Anyhoo, in my experience the "3 unit" core requirement is waived at 500 points.  That's not to say that that's what I'm wanting, it's just very difficult for some armies to make that work - Bretonnians for example.  Again, just saying.

Either way, I can make it work.

Tomb Kings, Beeyatches!!

KingLlama

• View Profile
The way Im reading it , you need 50% core composition , but still have to adhere to the minimum 3 unit + lord / hero to be a general which is from the rulebook

I wouldnt call it impossible , just for the first part everyone will have pretty naked units

Prince of Arnheim

• View Profile
How about 4 units of 50 Skavenslaves for a start :nono

Dana_Tillusz

• bloop
    • View Profile
    • comicreaders.com
The purpose of the Escalation league is to ease new players into the hobby and for veteran players who'd like to try out new armies and maybe, just maybe try new things with their well-played armies.

The biggest problem for new players is assembling an army, then painting it, and then trying to figure out how to play the game. The escalation league will help the next crop of miniature gamers learn the game, learn the strengths and weakness of their army as they play through smaller skirmishes, and hopefully within four months time they'll have slowly built and painted their figs and be ready (or less intimidated) for an all out tournament.

Every race can be competitive in this setting.
Snikt!