What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Friesen

I just bought 7 Wonders from Dragons Den and played it for the first time. First I watched the video series on youtube by watchitplayed which helped enormously for our fist round. The game is fast (about an hour for the first one) and fun, and it's a wonderful challenge trying to think ahead about what to keep and to pass on. Even though I knew the most about the game I proceeded to lose epicly.  Id rate the game at 8.7/10 so far.
I try my best.. always. I lose... often. I quit... never

Mac Grassick

7 Wonders

I played my first 2 games of 7 Wonders last night. I was pleasantly surprised at the length of the game. It's nice to play a such a solid game without having to put in 2 hrs. I love long developing strategy games but 7 Wonders was refreshing in that it has many strategies to potentially follow but plays so fast. It feels like Lords of Waterdeep meets the speed round. We played with only 3 & i'm looking forward to playing with 6-7 people in this game.

Mac
Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

Jolo

Through the Ages, round 3...
We played the advanced game three players, and I am horrifically bad at this game. I like the game, but it sure has a lot of bits!

Bix Conners

Carson City
Played a 5 player game of Carson City the other night. Worker placement with gun fights. I quite enjoyed the game and look forward to a few more plays.

Downfall of Pompeii
We followed up Carson City with a 3 player game of Downfall of Pompeii. There is something to be said about the visceral joy in throwing another player's meeple into the Volcano. Does that make me a bad person?
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

R Newell

Mage Knight

I recently bought this because I have no will power and should keep my credit card at home.  I played about half a solo game on Friday night before quitting because I was overly distracted by Ghost World, which I haven't watched in about ten years.  That and the table at the family cabin was too small to fit the game properly.

I really liked what I played (and I hardly scratched the surface) but I just don't like Vlaada's (the designer's) style of presenting complicated rules.  It's too... conversational for me, and I don't like that he spoonfeeds the reader for an initial neutered game rather than giving me the tools right off the bat to play the game as it was meant to be played.  I think next time I try to teach it to myself I'll use its other rulebook, which looks more traditional in its presentation.  (Yes, this game comes with two rulebooks.)

Bix Conners

I would really like to give Mage knight a go this fall when my schedule opens up a bit.
I am even willing to host... *hint hint*
I have beer... *more subtle hint*
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

R Newell

Quote from: Matt Robertson on August 28, 2012, 11:14:50 AM
I would really like to give Mage knight a go this fall when my schedule opens up a bit.

That'll work, since it'll take me the rest of the summer to figure out "how to do what when" with these two rulebooks.

Jolo

Steel Driver, Martin Wallace's redesign of Prairie Railroads. There were 5 of us, and it took about 90 minutes. None of us had played it before, and they let me win ;)

XtianHardy

I just bought a copy of Blood Bowl: Team Manager at Comic Readers South. Never played the original tabletop game, but I loved the theme and the game has pretty good reviews on BGG. Read through the rulebook and played it with my fiancee's brother. I never play sports games, and he rarely plays board games, but we both loved it.

I was really impressed by how much the mechanics reflect the theme of the game, while managing to abstract an entire season of football down to a series of "highlights." This is a fantasy sports game that will appeal to those who don't like football, so long as they like fantasy themes. Great game. I look forward to picking up the "Sudden Death" expansion when it comes out.

ChrisRoberts

The latest game to hit my table has been Descent, Journeys in the Dark 2nd Edition.  I never played the original Descent, but I was big player of HeroQuest in the early 90's.

I am now a full-on addict.  The game has a fantastic campaign system with tons of replay value, not to mention the inevitable expansions.
RPGs: Because sometimes I'd rather play [i]with[/i] my friends than [i]against[/i] them.