What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bix Conners

@Tempest:

Do you play The D&D Boardgames (Drizzt, Ashardalon, Ravenloft)? Also, have you looked at the new Dungeon Command Games?
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Tempest

That'd be a double no there. I was considering checking them out, they just haven't been in my budget lately.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Bix Conners

I have them all. I just need to get a group, pick a date, and get them to the table. :)

Jolo

Played a 5 player game of Power Grid: Factory Manager last night. I failed to win but I think this game was a little hamstrung by it's name, it has some PG elements, but is not PG.

All in all, a game I plan on playing before 2015 again...

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jolo on August 02, 2012, 09:03:15 AM...
that good huh?  :lol

Jolo

Quote from: Matt Robertson on August 02, 2012, 10:25:33 AM
Quote from: Jolo on August 02, 2012, 09:03:15 AM...
that good huh?  :lol

Well I last played it in 09 IIRC, so I would like to play it more than once every three years...

Jolo

We had some friends in town this weekend and played:
Power Grid: First Sparks, three of them had never played before, Rob bought himself a copy at the Den on Sunday.
Through the Ages, we played the simple game twice (training for ToonCon you know), once with three players, once with four. I finished second last both times...

Jolo

Last night we had 6 people so we switched from our 5 player choice to a 6 person game, the first being Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix, one of many games in this category (others being Daytona 500 and Niki Lauda's Formula 1) which is a straightforward (but not always high speed) auto racing game. I like this series (I have 2 of them) and I am always willing to play it.

One of the players left so we kept the racing theme going with Mississippi Queen, which is a paddle wheel racing game where you avoid beaching your paddle wheeler and pick up ladies at docks. This race was faster (there are less ways to screw people over with narrow track locations) and is a faster style of game. I am missing the Black Rose expansion, which I hope to find someday.

We finished the night off with Attribute, which has been described as "like Apples to Apples, but better". Everyone gets a hand of four adjectives e.g. venal, opaque, anal-retentive and gorgeous. You also get handed a positive or negative sheep card. If you have a positive card, you want people to take your card, with a negative, you don't want them to. So using the above hand and assuming you have a positive sheep, you could state "Wall" and play the opaque card face down, everyone else plays a card based on their hand and their sheep and you all flip your cards over. The first thing you want to do is grab a card that matches "wall"  eg wooden. When everyone is finished grabbing cards, the sheep are turned over. If you have a positive sheep and someone took your card, you both get a point, if your sheep is positive and no one took it you lose a point. If your card was negative and no one took it, you gain a point, if someone did, you both lose a point. The game is played to about 15-20 rounds. Winner has the most points.

doctorb23

played three games of Princes of Florence over my vacation last week.  Wow!  I was very impressed wirth this one.  for a 12 year old game, this has a nice mix of mechanics, with the auctions and the limited number of priveleges creating some interesting player interaction, combined with the puzzle-like element of fitting your buildings and landscapes onto your game grid, and then the resource management of watching your cash supply and deciding how many VP's to take and hopw much cash to take every time you create a "Work"

I am glad I got a chance to try out this gem!

Jolo

Through the Ages again, just the simple game, as all but me were new to it. So I finished last...