What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Swekla

After a weekend of friends and family visiting, played through a few games of Apples to Apples and Things in a Box, both are really good large group party games, especially had fun with Things in a Box when the mother-in-law for things you shouldn't do in a crows and wrote, "scratch your pecker" which resulted in wrong guessing and then hilarity.

Also played a few games of Betrayal at House of the Hill. A fun mansion exploration and then traitor revealing and monster attacking game. I generally find it hard to win as the heroes but we had a quick solid win once.

And also played a couple games of Survive, and one of my favourite card games: Coloretto

Bix Conners

HeroScape
Played a three player game of HeroScape tonight. Played on our large map and I was eliminated from the game. Greg ended up beating Morty by a decent margin. Thank goodness we will not be seeing the Venoc Vipers back in the game anytime soon. :)
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Bix Conners

I am playing a lot of games lately. Yay.  :excited

Nuts!
Nuts! is an interesting WWII Minis game. Each mini represents a man instead of a squad or platoon. It is at such a low level of detail that each figure gets a name, reputation, and possibly some attributes like cowardly or nerves of steel. This system sets itself up for the feel of a role playing wargame which is kind of awesome. Last night, I had Sarge, along with Able, Baker, and Charlie. Charlie was a pretty green and not very combat seasoned so he stuck pretty close to Sarge. The four of them were part of a paratroop drop and had to meet at a rallypoint which was a small house at the edge of the woods. They broke from the cover of the woods to cross the road as they made their way to a small group of trees next to the house. Turns out there were some Germans at the house and they drew fire. The two Germans were dispatched quickly and the stalwart team made for the group of trees. Once there, Sarge and Charlie took left with Able and Baker taking right. They were making their way through the trees when a machine gun in the house opened up. Sarge took a hit but brushed it off.

Able & Baker kept moving forward to try to take the pressure off but were spotted by the Machine Gunner. Poor lads. They got cut up pretty good. Had to pull their tags. Brave souls. Good thing Charlie didn't witness that mess as he likely would have broke rank and fled. Sarge and Charlie spit some lead into the small window of the machine gun nest and silenced the bastards. Take that.

In a bold move Sarge gave the order and he and Charlie rushed the house. They made it without getting shot at and went around the the door on the left side. Screw it said Sarge and the bust through the door. Standing next to the dead machine gunner were two krauts holding grenades. Holy shite! One of them was so surprised by the door opening that he dropped his live grenade at his feet; the other lobbed his straight at Sarge and Charlie. Keeeerist what a boom. Poor Charlie lost his nerve and bolted out of the house and bunkered down behind a fence. Sarge gave a steely gaze to the remaining German and squeezed the trigger. That is for Able and Baker you bastard! All in a day's work.

FUN GAME. This game even allows for campaign style play. I think I will be playing some more of this. :)

Hey folks, if you are reading this, post here to share what is hitting your table. I am enjoying this thread immensely and would like to know what others are playing.

R Newell

And now Nuts! is on my "must own" list.  I love games that tell such a strong narrative.

celticgriffon

Matt -are the figures pre-painted in NUTS?  Do you have to setup a table similar to a standard miniature game (with scenery)?

Michael
I wonder if you could be anyone would you be yourself? - yup it's mine..

Bix Conners

The nice thing about the game is it is just a rule book. They do not care what minis you use or where you buy them. I like rules that are not attached to minis or the marketing of minis. It means they just focused on the game play and not trying to push people to buy minis. I happen to have a metric tonne of Axis & Allies Miniatures game from their series of Minis games. The minis are aquired cheaply and they are all pre-painted. So far we have used them to play:

Nuts!
Crossfire
Metal Warriors

I also own rule sets for:
Spearhead
Disposable Heroes / Coffin for 7 Brothers

Jolo

So, when will you start playing DBA?

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jolo on June 20, 2012, 11:33:28 AM
So, when will you start playing DBA?

Is that an invitation? :)
Actually, I know very little about the game.

Jolo

Go here, Tim talks about it a lot.

http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/

PS
I don't have a DBA army, but Tim has several including Hordes of the Things (fantasy DBA).

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jolo on June 20, 2012, 11:40:16 AM
Go here, Tim talks about it a lot.

http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/

PS
I don't have a DBA army, but Tim has several including Hordes of the Things (fantasy DBA).

That is pretty hardcore. I had a glance at a couple of DBA sites and it appears it is more focused on older historical periods and not as much focused on WWII. My minis are all WWII and I am reluctant to entertain other periods. $ and Time you know. :)