What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bix Conners

I think Castles of Burgundy has a lot of appeal for many plays. Kingsburg is a lighter game, but it plays well and the expansions do breathe more life into the game. I like Alien Frontiers, but I find that the end game is very anti-climatic. I was thinking awhile ago that the game really needs hidden victory points conditions for each player to mitigate some of the end game disappointment. I hope the expansions re-invigorate the game, as I quite like the mechanics & theme.

Now, what have I been playing...

Powerboats
I played a 6 player game of last night. The game has a very cool race / move mechanic with the dice. You can get yourself into a whole lot of trouble in a hurry. This is a game that I like to play once or twice a year. It is a bit long for what the game does, so maybe only playing 2 races instead of 3 is the way to go.

Dixit
This was a 6 player game. Just add laughter. The game is a wonderful social game. It has some very creative aspects that let you get in touch with your inner story teller. I think the game is very group dependent. I cannot see this game going over well at a gathering of lawyers, but it has been a hit with the groups I have played with.

7 Wonders
We finished up the evening with a 6 player game of 7 Wonders. I have played this a number of times. It is a great light filler game that seems to work for most people. Last night the cards were really weird how they came up. Made for some interesting combinations. Fun way to end an evening of games at a friend's house.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Colin Dearborn

Pretty light gaming week for me this week. Working evening shift will do that.

Did get PANTHEON to the table last night.

Decent medium civ building euro game, a fair bit going on in a 2 hour game. Pretty good mechanics and quality pieces. I haven't heard much buzz about this one, but I have been pleasantly surprised after a couple plays.

Mac Grassick

Quote from: Jolo on June 03, 2012, 08:58:03 AM
Last night it was Descent: Journeys in the Dark with Descent: Roads to Legend. We are rolling along through Silver level, almost 3/4ths the way through. This is my second campaign and is one of my favourite games.

Hey Jolo

I agree whole heatedly! It was a great game prior to the Roads to Legend expansion but I always felt a bit empty after playing out a dungeon & not "leveling up" if you will. This expansion fixed that issue & made the game even bigger & better then I could of hoped for.

Mac
Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

Bix Conners

Last night we played a 6 player game of Merchant of Venus.

I ordered and received the fully pimped out print & play versions with all of the expansions. The game looks great. This was only my second play of the game and my first time teaching the game. I had the game set up in advance, it was just a matter of teaching it to the other 5 players. About 2/3rd's of the way through the rules, the power goes out and we had to get lanterns and flashlights to finish the explanation. Even then, the power was likely out for close to 2 hours. Did not stop us.

We played  until about 10:30 and called the game. It was a learning game to get the mechanics down and let everyone have a taste. We will be playing again soon as a 4 player game to get a full game in. I really like this game and the replayability is high with the variable board set up each game. When we stopped play, Colin had the edge on net worth, but all 6 players were ramping up their economic engine.

Tempest

Been playing a lot of Risk Legacy lately. Out of all the Risk variations out there, it's definitely the most appealing one to this guy. Before I picked that up though, I had been playing a little bit of Small World, which is almost like a much simpler version of Risk, and is really fun.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Bix Conners

Quote from: Tempest on June 06, 2012, 05:54:19 AM
Been playing a lot of Risk Legacy lately. Out of all the Risk variations out there, it's definitely the most appealing one to this guy. Before I picked that up though, I had been playing a little bit of Small World, which is almost like a much simpler version of Risk, and is really fun.

Risk Legacy is a hoot. We are 6 games in in our world and plan on getting a few more games in this summer. Are you playing with Glen V by any chance?

doctorb23

played two games of RATTUS last night. the first time we have taken that one off the shelf.  We quite enjoyed it and I think it makes a nice filler game, in a small box.  Requires a decent amount of strategy,  and compared to Kingdom Builder, another light game our group has been playing lately, I think it gives a much more "gamey" experience, in a smaller box, with a better price point for sure.

I highly recommend it!

Bix Conners

Last night we played:

Trajan
We played a4 player game of Trajan. Last game, I focused on Military, so I wanted to change it up and I focused on Workers. This is definitely a game where you have to have a blended strategy. My focused efforts have taught me more about the game, but have not resulted in great scores. Lots more play in this game.

Safranito
After we finished Trajan, we pulled out Safranito for a quick four player game. This is light, fun, has a dexterity component, and an opportunity to foil the plans of the other players. What's not to like? :)

Jolo

Last night we played a 4 p game of Empires of the Void. It is a 4X game but playable in 3 hours, which is what it took us with 4 new players (inc rules explanation). Robert emerged victorious with his "Crush all before me" strategy, while my "Hey, let's you and me be friends" finished a close second.

celticgriffon

John, I really enjoyed my game of space empires 4x but how the hell did you finish a game in 3 hrs?  Hitting a base planet is pretty damn hard until you get some serious fleets happening..

Michael
I wonder if you could be anyone would you be yourself? - yup it's mine..