What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Bendig

Battletech: I haven't painted all the pieces I have, and I haven't played all the pieces I've painted, yet I want more. We had a lovely evening just painting stuff and talking about the game recently. The painting, while totally optional to the game, is in some ways as much fun as the game itself. For me, anyway.

Forbidden Island: my brother just picked this up at ComicReaders, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Smallworld: this and Catan are simple and accessible enough I've gotten some of my older relatives to try it out. Fun was had by all.

Jolo

Chaos in the Old World - one of my favourite games!
I finished last as Khorne as Nurgle pussed his way to victory

Jamie Shanks

Due to the usual stuff (work, life, etc.) my gaming these days is limited to playing Squad Leader, including the Cross of Iron expansion ruleset, via email using the really excellent Vassal module for it.

I had a rare opportunity to play ftf recently and tried out C&C Napoleonics. Nice little system - very fast, very simple.

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jamie Shanks on May 31, 2012, 05:05:00 PM
Due to the usual stuff (work, life, etc.) my gaming these days is limited to playing Squad Leader, including the Cross of Iron expansion ruleset, via email using the really excellent Vassal module for it.

I had a rare opportunity to play ftf recently and tried out C&C Napoleonics. Nice little system - very fast, very simple.

Have you played Conflict of Heroes? If so, what do you think of it?
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Jamie Shanks

Hi Matt... I haven't played it, and I don't really know much about it, although I've read some good things - particularly about the action point system it uses being relatively innovative.

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jamie Shanks on June 01, 2012, 05:20:23 PM
Hi Matt... I haven't played it, and I don't really know much about it, although I've read some good things - particularly about the action point system it uses being relatively innovative.

I would like to work through some more scenarios if your schedule frees up. Let me know...
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Dana_Tillusz

Castles of Burgundy
May was a light gaming month for me, but it seems like I was focused on Dice Allocation games. This game quickly catapulted to my all time favourite list. Castles is a well-balanced game; it plays well as a 2-player, and gets better with 3 and 4.

Alien Frontiers
I like this weird Sci-Fi Dice game. It was on my "to play" list since it came out, and I begged and begged some friends to teach it to me. I played three times in the past few weeks and I enjoy it more every time I play.

Kingsburg
This is the lighter of the three Dice Allocation games on the list. Fun and quick to play. I enjoy it more with the expansion, which I'll need to pick up soon.

Hive
Best game ever. Play in a pub while drinking a couple beers. That's what I do...

Other games I had the pleasure of playing: Trajan, War of the Ring, Turf Master, Micro Mutants, Starfarers of Catan, Leaping Lemmings, and a few filler games to round out the month.

In June, my priority is to get a game of 1989 in.

Snikt!

doctorb23

thanks Dana for that input.  two of us in our game group have Kingsburg, but I find it a bit light for my tastes.  my buddy has the expansion but we haven't opened it, but I have heard it adds quite a bit to the game.  I have been wanting to get a dice allocation game with a little more complexity and maybe we should start with the kingsburg expansion.

I have found myself slightly disappointed with Alien Frontiers and also it only plays 4 and my game group is usually 5.  I think we need to play it a few more times so I can decide if I like it

I have been eyeing up Castles of Burgundy, if I recall it plays 5.  also looking at Troyes

opened my copy of Wiraqocha last night and played a learning game by myself.  It looks promising, the board art is a little crowded and busy, and the rule book is way too long for what the game really is, but I can see it having similar replay value to Alien Frontiers.  I may like it better after a few plays. deinitely more opportunity to screw your opponent and I think game time and build-up will be shorter than Alien frontiers.

Anyway. I was thinking of picking up 2 or 3 new games over the summer, and Castles was going to be one of them, along with Eclipse and Manhattan Project, but maybe I will get Glen More instead of Castles.  Troyes was another dice game I was thinking about, but something tells me castles would be better   

Dana_Tillusz

I'd recommend Castles, doc, but just so you know it only goes up to 4. And the upcoming expansion for Alien Frontiers will allow a fifth player, though I'm thinking it's best as a 3-player.
Snikt!

Jolo

Last night it was Descent: Journeys in the Dark with Descent: Roads to Legend. We are rolling along through Silver level, almost 3/4ths the way through. This is my second campaign and is one of my favourite games.