What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolo

Since the 25th, I have played 13 games, a total of 30 times.

I am playing Commands & Colors: Ancients with some friends now on Thursday afternoons as we are all unemployed. so I have 8 plays of this in the last month. I love this game.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, with 4 plays, is now complete and we are off to:

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set, which we just started this month with 4 plays.

Sentinels of the Multiverse, 3 plays for "ole reliable"

7 Wonders, 2 more plays at a Meetup

Bohnanza, with 2 plays, this has become the "hot game" to close out a night at Amigos.

Nations 2 brutal plays, one with Dynasties and one without

Age of Industry, 1 more play, they let me win to stop my whining.

Food Chain Magnate, 1 play as introductory, but there is so much going on it should be a crime.

Mombasa, 1 play, need to play it some more so I can understand it better.

Small World, 1 play, 5 player, the 10 year old crushed us.

Steampunk Rally, 1 play as the feature game at Amigos

PhotoJim

My June plays:

Mr. Jack Pocket - clever and easy to learn
Hive - 5 plays - finally gave this game a try and I quite like it
Battle Line - I'm still figuring this one out
Friday - a clever solo game by Friedeman Friese
Karuba - 2 plays
Dead Drop
Chess
The Ravens of Thri Sahashri - still trying to grok this one - two plays
Happy Salmon
Food Chain Magnate - liked this enough that we bought a copy
The Big Book of Madness - a clever coop game
Akrotiri
Ticket to Ride Map Collection Volume 5 - we played the Pennsylvania side for the first time and I really liked it.
Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries - probably the best TtR for 2
Eggs and Empires
T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - I've not played the full version but this one is quite good
World's Fair 1893 - clever, easy to teach but with lots of strategy
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - we failed to identify the killer but we had a blast being wrong :)

And tonight... Scythe.

Jim
Avidly gaming since 1972.

Jolo

After a slight delay, I am back with an assortment of games:

Commands & Colors: Ancients, I am still playing this but they both got jobs (industrious jerks!), so 9 plays since June 28th
Memoir '44, I hosted a C&C day at my place and taught this, which got me 5 plays.
Animals on Board, a pretty light game I played at Amigos one Monday night, some planning but nothing really exciting but 4 plays that one night
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set, we finished Rise of the Runelords, so one guy picked this up, we have been tied up so only 4 plays in one night
Food Chain Magnate, oh my! 2 plays of this outstanding game, so much so that it is being run at ToonCon.
Scythe, a good solid game that mixes a ton of options, 2 plays
Simurgh, worker placement game that seems odd, I have not figured out my issue with it, besides it being WP, 2 plays
Angola, too bad this is so long, I would be willing to play this again! 1 play.
Formula D, I taught it one night at my place, 1 play
Pax Porfiriana, great game, another experience game by Eklund,    1 play
Vegas Showdown, 11 years on, and it remains a really good game, currently the most popular game for ToonCon, 1 play

Bix Conners

I have not posted in here for awhile, so I thought it was time for an update. I have been playing lots of games ranging from light, social party games to meaty monsters. A great variety pack. I will only touch on some of the highlights here:

Merchant of Venus
This game continues to deliver. (See what I did there). It is always entertaining and I feel justified in all of the time and money I have spent in augmenting this game to make it a showcase game. I was surprised to learn that I have logged 28 plays of this. That is a large number of plays for me to log of any game, let alone a 4+ hour epic. I love it now as much as before and will continue to play the crap out of this. Another great aspect of this game for me is that I can come in first on one game and dead last in another so the game play is not hampered by experienced players beating out inexperienced players. The board state, exploration tokens, and market system make this highly re-playable.

XIA: legends of a Drift System
Another space epic. Another game that take 4+ hours to play. I currently have 13 plays logged of this beast and it is always entertaining and full of laughs. The game draws some critique because of the amount of dice rolled, but to me that only adds to a very colorful narrative. Fun times with lots of glorious moments and epic fails. One of the great highlights for me was playing two simultaneous games, (eight people), with rules that had players switching universes.

The Gallerist & Kanban: Automotive Revolution
I have played CO2 and thought that was a clever design. I recently played The Gallerist and Kanban: Automotive Revolution and I am amazed at the rules density of these heavy games. Even with the deep rules density, these games become intuitive after a round or two of play. I have a ton of respect for a designer who is able to accomplish that kind of clarity of play with so much happening on the game board. Vital Lacerda: you are a master. I think Vlaada Chavtil could take a lesson or two on rules clarity from you.  I am looking forward to exploring these titles deeper and getting some quality time in with Vinhos Deluxe at some point.

Auction Forty-Fives
This is a trick taking card game that is popular in the Maritimes. It is obscure and bizarre but very enjoyable to me. I generally have a strong distate for trick taking games like Tichu and Kaiser. This on the other hand, has a very warm spot in my heart.

Imperial
Did a bit of a deep dive to explore Imperial. Great game that has a very different take on world conflict. As a financier, you need to overcome the desire to get involved in world conflicts when it is not profitable to do so. It is hard to take off the mantle of military general and put on the mantle of a financial power broker.

Onitama
I was very pleasantly surprised by this beautifully crafted abstract game. I really like the card element in that you need to be aware of what you use and how it will be used against you in the future from a card standpoint. This would be an insta-buy for me if Kathy liked abstracts. *sigh*

Compounded
Blew the dust off compounded for a couple of plays. The game can be congenial or nasty depending on the mood of the players (scientists) and whether they will trade with you or even set your experiments on fire. I like that the game takes on a different feel with different play groups.

Valley of the Kings
I quite enjoy this new take on a deck builder. With two expansions released, there is lots of variety and game play combinations. Enjoyable with 2 or 3 players. I have not tried 4 yet.

Targi
This is my current favourite of the 2 player only games. I think the game play is innovative and engaging.

Medina (Second Edition)
I picked this up at the last ComicReaders sidewalk sale and I am glad that I did. It is a beautifully crafted and presented abstract game for 2-4 players that does not feel too abstract. (Meaning that I may be able to get Kathy to play it).

Food Chain Magnate
What can I say? Splotter titles are amazing.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

puggeroni

We're playing a lot of Urbania.  It came in one of those board game subscription boxes, so I didn't really know what to expect.  Low BGG rating made me doubtful but we really enjoy it so far.  Maybe another 10-15 (wishful thinking!) plays, it might change, but for now it's one of our favorites.

Also getting in more Dominion, now that I have a couple expansions through math trades. 
I don't even not understand it in a way that's understandable...

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Jolo

August, I last posted in August?

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set, 20 plays, we are working our way through this campaign now and just started the third box

Commands & Colors: Ancients, 7 plays only, both jerks have jobs now, so it is even harder to play now.

Via Nebula, 5 plays, good game, has a bit of a Brass feel to it but is much more accessible.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, 4 plays, we are playing through this using the special characters from the class decks.

7 Wonders, 2 plays, 46 plays in my life, it is ok, but no longer is as big a draw for me.

Food Chain Magnate, 2 plays, still a really good game, just hard to get to the table.

The Grizzled, 2 plays, interesting co-op

Power Grid: The Card Game, 2 plays, like, yesterday. I prefer Power Grid still as I prefer the route building mechanism as well.

Railways of the World, 2 plays, table size means it is not really portable.

Sentinels of the Multiverse, 2 plays, because we are playing Pathfinder...

Andean Abyss, 1 play, I like COIN games still, just tough to play on a Wednesday night

Chaos in the Old World,  1 play, I still love this game. The theme ties in so well with the game, can be off putting to some

Conquest of Paradise, 1 play, neat Civ building game.

The Last of the Independents, 1 play, run a car company, not great but a good one hour game

Pampas Railroads, 1 play, another Wallace train game

Power Grid, 1 play, still great

Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America, 1 play, very nice looking, some slight rules changes but still good

Primordial Soup, 1 play, I like this game but have not played it since 2007.

Star Realms, 1 play, neat game, but dunno if I will play it too often.

Thunder Alley, 1 play, a race game I just don't play often enough.