What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rye M

I just reciently picked up a copy of Jaipur.  This is a great two player game that is super simple to learn but always seems fun.  Every turn has you wondering, "should take that one gold, or maybe scoop up all the camels, oh but wait then a bunch of new cards come out and what if one of them is gold then my opponent will have a bunch of gold to sell, but he's only got a couple of camels so maybe he won't take them oh man I better take that gold now oh no he already had two gold and now he's sold them for the most profit!".  Also, any game that gives you bonus points for having the most camels is cool with me.

Also been playing Seasons with the two expansions, Enchanted Kingdom and Path of Destiny.  The new cards add some much needed interactivity with the other players, and the special abilities can make or break you at the end.  Also, if you're like me and have played enough games the enchantment cards can mix up a game enough to make it fresh. 

scuudz

Since my last post,  I've played a few more iOS games of Agricola and some Innovation as well.

I also played Cyclades with all the expansions and promos.  It was a game I'd been wanting to try for a while, and it lived up to my expectations. 

Cavum was another game I got to play.  It is a unique, and quick playing game with a mining theme, which I enjoyed.

I played a few games of 7 Wonders with friends after it sat on my shelf for over a year.  The game definitely provides a better experience when playing with more players, and my friends who are relatively new to board gaming loved it.

I also played Cosmic Encounter, Camel Up and The Captain is Dead.  All three are light games, which are great fun to play with 4+ players.

Ninja Burger and Munchkin were games I played over the past week that I did not enjoy at all, and don't care to ever play them again!

tbrminsanity

I've never tried Ninja Burger.  You should bring it to Chewsday Night Challenge some time so people can try it.
Have fun, play games!

scuudz

Quote from: tbrminsanity on November 19, 2014, 07:26:36 AM
I've never tried Ninja Burger.  You should bring it to Chewsday Night Challenge some time so people can try it.

I don't own it.  A friend who was visiting from Saskatoon had brought it with him.

Cordawg

Guys first day  of Bgg con it was a goodie
Star Wars imperial assault
2 games of  roll through the ages Iron Age
Firefly no expansion
Thunder ally
And last but not least the captain is dead guess what Murray we won

R Newell

Since last time I posted...

Ameya ran 4-player and 3-player games of Brass in consecutive weeks at ChewsDay Challenge.  Great game that I'd been hoping to try for years.  One of those games where you try to take advantage of others' actions and to make the most of the hand you're dealt.  I generally like games like that.  I do think it's perhaps got one too many layers of complexity for the type of game it is, which makes it a little harder to learn than most strategy games of its type.  I might pick up Age of Industry -- a streamlined version of Brass.

I ran a game of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island with Ameya, Murray and Mac at CC.  We played the intro Castaways scenario -- build up a pile of wood for a signal fire so that we can be rescued in the 10th-12th week.  We did not discover fire.  We put no wood on the pile.  We didn't make it past the 5th week because I was killed by a Puma that I tried to hunt with a pointy twig.  The cook would not stop bitching.  It was a glorious disaster.

I played a few solo games of Space Hulk: Death Angel using the Tyranids instead of the Genestealers and the alternate locations from the expansion packs.  I got my space butt handed to me both times.

Brandon-Shea taught CO2 to myself, Murray, and Brittani times two at CC.  We all lost by polluting the earth beyond salvation by 1990, a good 25 years before Matthew McConaughey could go into space and save us all.  :( 

Very cool game.  I'd like to play it again now that I have a feel for how it plays.

Matt ran a game of Sushi Go! for Colin, Amanda and myself at CC.  I'm not a fan of 7 Wonders, but it turns out that all they had to do was make it simpler, quicker and cuter, because I thought this was much better.  I squeaked out a win.  Probably because I had sushi from the Canadian Tire gas station on South Albert a few hours earlier so was better prepared.

Lori ran a game of Imperial Settlers for Brandon-Shea, Ameya and myself at CC.  Very neat game.  I thought the four factions had much different vibes to them, which I like.  My Barbarians were razing like... barbarians... and I managed to squeak out a win.  My one complaint is that the icons and texts are really hard to read on other people's tableaus.  The art on the cards is great, but is probably too prominent for them to be as functional as I'd like.

The wife and I played Mage Knight because that's what we do.

Rye M

I'd love to try a game of Mage Knight!

R Newell

Maybe I'll bring it to CC sometime.  Only problem for that venue is that it takes up a good chunk of time and table space.

Rye M

If not maybe Ameya would be willing to host?  I would, but my table is pretty small.

brainhole

Here's my list for the last week or so:

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
It had been a few months since I'd brought this one out. Great game, but I'd forgotten how much less great it is with just 2 players.

Pandemic
I'm a big fan of co-ops, and I'd never played this... it was just embarrassing. Now it's remedied. I still prefer Forbidden Island: feels more tense and immediate to me, and the theme of Pandemic is less to my taste. I kept thinking about ebola and getting all depressed.

Barbarian Prince
Because I'm a sucker for fiddly retro hex-and-counter stuff, especially where there's a good narrative involved.