What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolo

6 player game of Age of Gods last night, too many races on the board, too much randomness and the board is not that well designed.

It seems to incorporate some from Vinci, some from Small World and has a combat system that is similar to Chaos in the Old World.

All those games are better...

Kage

Been a very busy gaming weekend.

First played a quick game of X-Wing.  Game is just getting better they more models they add.

then we played a 7 man game of Battlestar Galactica.  The funniest thing was the first execution happened before the first action.  On cliffs move he went to a spot with an ally and was executed before he could even take his action.

The Humans were steam rolling the cylons all they way up to the Exodus phase.  I believe all the dials were still in the blue....and then everything changed.  One jump away from winning turned into a massacre.

We retried Panic Station.  With a little help from one of Dana's employees at Comic Readers we got the rule book down.  This really needs a better English translation.  but needless to say this was a lot of fun the 2nd time around, and we actually played it twice.

Then I pulled Werewolf out.  We only had 7 players and myself as the story teller, and everyone loved it.  We played it 7 times.  I may actually try to get a huge 18 player game for next weekend.

Finally we moved on to Railways of the world.  We tried the Western US map, and I tell you the cube placement was never so bad.  I don't think I've ever had more then 3 bonds in a game of Rails.  I ended up with 13.  The last  place player had over 20.  The person in 2nd last only had 1.  It was a very cool map for something different.  I really like the extra mechanics with the depots and stuff.

I think we are going to play Rails again today and give the England map a try. 

Jolo

I was at Dragon's Den on Saturday and played only one game there, DC Deckbuilding Game. I have discussed it before, it is pretty light but it is fun.

Kage

Played Descent 2nd Edition over the weekend.  We played Friday night at Saturday with 2 different groups.

For those that don't know me, I was a huge fan of the original Descent.  I basically quite playing D&D because of Descent.  But problem with it was that it took so long to play.  This wasn't a problem for me, I don't mind epic games.  But a lot of people don't. 

So, I'd say the biggest change is that quests are way shorter.  This will probably draw more people into the game.  We played 3 quests in the time it used to take to play one.  I bet even matt would play it now.   :)

There are things I like in both games and things I don't like in both games.  But I would say overall 2nd edition is better simply because more people will play it.

If anyone wants to give this a try i'm up for it any time. 

Bix Conners

Quote from: Kage on April 15, 2013, 08:51:54 AMI bet even matt would play it now.   :)

It is not game length that is a concern, it is quality of game play. I find that many of these dungeon crawl games are way to linear for my liking. The game plays like a narrow script that makes it feel like the game is playing me. I prefer a much more open gaming experience where I am not herded to open THIS door and fight THIS monster. I guess that is why I never liked many of the video games growing up. Too scripted.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Colin Dearborn

Finally got a chance to play Marvel Legendary.

It showed up earlier this week and we ended up playing 3 times today. Fantastic co-op deck builder....likely going to get many awards at the end of the year. Simple to teach and play, relatively quick and tonnes of replayability.

Not heavy, but there are decisions most turns regarding your deck build and how to take on the game. Decent tension as the villans swarm the city and the theme and artwork are both top notch.

Tempest

I've played legendary a couple times now, I need to get my hands on that; it's a fantastic game. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's definitely really good. I love the different scenarios you can run.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

R Newell

I hosted a weekend of gaming and played a ridiculous amount:

Mice & Mystics (1) - tried the opening chapter and didn't get out of the initial flipped tile.  Enemies were cheesing it up

Room 25 (3) - played a 2v2 team game once and two games with hidden guards (I was a hidden guard both times)

King of Tokyo (6) - everyone loved this one

Galaxy Trucker (1) - played with Another Big Expansion; I don't like the Commandos/Predators

Pandemic (2) - with Virulent Strain and Mutations; lost both

Glory to Rome (1) - first try and it took me a while to wrap my head around it

Eclipse (2) - a 5-player game (that I won) and a 7-player game (that I came in second), which I`m pretty happy with because I was the only one drinking both times

Tales of the Arabian Nights (1) - I`ve played three times now and we`ve still never gotten out of the morning period and I`ve only seen someone get to a Place of Power once; maybe we`re doing something wrong

Power Grid: First Sparks (1) - a learning game in which I was literally incapable of taking part in the game before the first round was over - I bought Fire and expanded twice, meaning I could only produce enough food to keep one person alive and do nothing else

7 Wonders (2) - I`m not a fan but I don`t mind a game or two on the rare occasion.

Archipelago (1) - a learning game (medium length) that took a while for me to wrap my head around the rules and didn`t get to the point where I could wrap my head around strategy; beautiful tiles, but the huts you need to count are basically Where`s Waldo

Lords of Waterdeep (2) - I suck at this game so much, getting demolished both times

Star Wars: Epic Duels (3) - first tries; I need to spend some time exploring this one (so I know that cards like All Too Easy are out there)

Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery (1) - goddamn I love this game

Cordawg

On Sunday I played a 6 player epic game of here I stand with mark kent Justin g Trent and lance it's a epic game about the reformation in europe in the 16th century it's a massive game  but it's awesome it feels like theirs 2 games one the war where everybody has army's but then theirs the religious war between Luther's Protestants and the pope and it just is great it lasted 4 hours when Trent got totally wiped out   By kent it was really great game would love to play it again sometime maybe in the future

R Newell

I borrowed Mice and Mystics off a buddy of mine and plan to play through the 11 chapters solo (or with the wife, if she's up for it).  So far I've made it through chapter 1 (it took me a few too many attempts because I had a rule incorrect that had me adding tougher minions that I should have) and took a first stab at chapter 2.  Fun game with lots of great thematic touches.  Too much flavour text, though.  I can't imaging reading those walls of text before and after each chapter if I was playing with other people.

I also got in a session of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective with the wife and the same buddy.  We played through The Mummy's Curse.  Fantastic scenario that we completely botched.  We were too enamored with the side story and neglected some subtle but crucial details within the witness accounts.

Edit: Hey, this thread's now a year old.  Glad to see it still going strong as I like to read about what games people are playing.