What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celticgriffon

For me it has been 100% Blood Bowl lately.  7 league games so far and about another 10 where I was teaching/moderating. 

Our league is really moving along quite well (imo).  www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com

Check us out and let me know what you think!!

Michael
I wonder if you could be anyone would you be yourself? - yup it's mine..

Jolo

I would love to have a blood bowl league, but then I think about starting one and think about the work I do on other things (like ToonCon)

Jolo

Epic Saturday came and went, and it was EPIC!

Sword of Rome, which I optimistically suggested 4 hours for, took an amazing 10 hours. It was grand, with the Gauls leading for a wile, the Greeks hanging in there and eventually the Romans prevailing over all.

I love this game.

WBRP

Yes, epic, including my EPIC FAIL Greek turn. Dreadful...just dreadful...Archimedes is turning in his grave and bringing fetid water to the surface.

Weekly sessions of GMT's Panzer/Exp#1/Exp#2 most every Tuesday.
Share & Enjoy!

R Newell

The wife has been kind to me recently by offering to try games if she sees me reading the rulebook.  This weekend, that meant getting in two games of Through the Ages.  I won the first game when she became resource poor and had a hard time recovering and I lost the second game when I became food poor and had a hard time recovering.  The lesson: your resource engines (blue tokens) need to be producing sufficiently or, ideally, efficiently before doing pretty much anything else.

Brilliant game that reminds me of spinning plates.  Or maybe juggling chainsaws.

Bix Conners

Time for another installment of games played :)

Cleopatra & The Society of Architects x2 @ChewsDay Challenge
This game has great components, interesting game play, and has the most corrupt player thrown to the crocodiles before final scoring... What's not to like? I need to play this more often. I think it is an underrated gem.

Poseidon's Kingdom @ ChewsDay Challenge
Game bits don't come much cooler than this. The Fragor team really have unique games. As this gets played a bit more, the game play is becoming more balanced and competition tightens up a lot.

The Earth Shook x2 @Bixbys
I am liking the design even more these days. We took a break from playing this and have played a few sessions lately. We tested a power up option on the map as well as having one uber Mech take on three smaller Mechs. Quite happy with the replayability and extensibility of the game. Will add our findings to the collective rulebook and get ready for a final publish this summer.

Glen More @Bixbys
This is one I have wanted to try for awhile now. I think the tile selection / turn order is clever and enjoy how it is integrated into the game. I would like to play a few more times to form a final opinion. Enjoyable.

Maori x2 @Bixbys
I had never played this before. Very simple game with ease to learn mechanics. Engaging play with an opportunity to hose over other players occasionally. Great gateway game.

Taluva @Bixbys
An abstract game disguised as a Euro. It is no secret that I would like to play more abstract strategy games, so I really enjoyed this three player session of Taluva. I think the strategy unfolds after a number of plays, and I am not there yet. Lots of strategy to explore in this title.

Neuroshima Hex! @Bixbys
This is simple and fun. I know that many people bemoan the randomness of the tile draws, I think it creates situations that you have to react and adjust to. I like the game and plan to make it a regular on the gaming table. Especially so since I ordered a bunch of fanspansions from Print & Play Productions.

Venture @ Bixbys
I have the old 3m Gamette version of this game. Played a three player game and I think the design is very clever for a small portable card game. I happen to stink at this game and cannot see the patterns that others can readily see. Does not stop me from enjoying and playing it though. I would like to see how a six player game of this goes.

Cards Against Humanity @Bixbys
Yes, alcohol was involved. Some friends were over and we have shoveled the snow away from our fire pit in the back yard. We had a very enjoyable evening of sitting around the fire visiting over a few beers, (ok, more than a few). We eventually went inside and a random game of CaH broke out. Kind of wrong, but kinda right too.

Mage Knight @Bixbys
Got my second play of this under my belt. Thanks Ryan. We played a four turn cooperative blitz game and lost. Ryan managed to take out one city. He and Dana were mounting a combined assault on the second city while I was getting my butt kicked by the third city. Again, this is a title that has a lot going on. A phenomenal amount of game to explore. I need a few more plays of this in before I feel comfortable with all of the rules and intricacies.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Tempest

Played another game of the newest Marvel RPG (WHAT IS the name? Keep forgetting.) The adventures of Ghost Dad, Ilsa the nanite swarm, [name pending] the girl Colossus, Burnout the Speedster and newest addition Nicola Tesla the electric power guy continued. We cleaned up the break out at The Raft culminating with a showdown with the Hulk... combined with the Carnage symbiote. (Caulk for short) It was intense, we almost lost Burnout, and everyone else was on the precipice, but I was able to end things by phasing a piece of metal into Caulk's brain. ...Bruce Banner might have brain damage now, we're not sure.

This is one heck of a game, not focusing too much on a strict system, but rather rewarding people for RPing their characters in a fitting manner. (Of their character, not of the rules) If you're looking for a super hero RPG, this is worth checking out. If Marvel's not your thing, I could see it applying to another universe rather easily.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Jolo

2 games last night, as we had two dropouts, and so we played some light stuff

The first game up was Marvel Legendary, a deck building cooperative, competitive game.  In this game you have a group of randomly chosen heroes (we had Spiderman, Gambit, Emma Frost, The Hulk and Captain America) vs a villain (Red Skull). You build a players deck by combining the heroes 14 card decks together and build a villains deck by combining the villain's henchmen (Hydra), along with another group of villains (we used Spider foes) and a henchmen group (henchmen are like villains, just weaker), along with some bystanders, plot twists and master strikes. Draw five cards from the players deck and place them in the HQ.

You start the game with SHIELD Agents (which give one spending point) and SHIELD Troopers (which give one combat point)

Game play is simple, fill your hand to 6 cards, flip over the top villain card and put him in the sewer, moving any villain card in the sewer to the next spot (and so on). If the villain goes through five spaces without being defeated he escapes (there are penalties for this). You then decide if you are going to fight a villain or not using your combat points. If you defeat the villain he goes to the Victory Point pile.
After this you can then buy one of the super heroes cards in the HQ using your Agents points and put it in your discard pile.

The game ends when the Master Villain is defeated 4 times and you count up your points.

It was ok.

We then played DC Deckbuilding game, much simpler (only one power) and faster.

I prefer it to Legendary, but both are weaker than Sentinels of the Multiverse

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jolo on March 14, 2013, 09:10:29 AM...a bunch of stuff...

The buzzkill line of the decade. I think Sentinels is pretty weak, so I guess I will be passing on the other two huh?!?!?  :neener 
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Jolo

Quote from: Matt Robertson on March 14, 2013, 09:14:15 AM
Quote from: Jolo on March 14, 2013, 09:10:29 AM...a bunch of stuff...

The buzzkill line of the decade. I think Sentinels is pretty weak, so I guess I will be passing on the other two huh?!?!?  :neener

It all depends on why you don't like SotM really. Legendary is a mixture of co-op and competitive play with a reasonably good theme, and DC is pure competitive with a weak theme (Superman beats Ras Al Ghul using the Green Arrows Bow). I think SotM is the best themed but is a co-op.