What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bix Conners

Quite a weekend. On Friday, I played a four player game of the FFG version of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game I played the Indians and adopted a non-aggression game mode similar to Ghandi. Colin played the Germans, Alex played the Egyptians and Kathy played the Arabs. Colin focused on Military and the the rest of us did not, it gave him free reign to decimate our units. Kathy & I both tried a heavy culture track approach and culture cards allowed me to prevent Colin from overrunning Alex's capital city. I was setting up for the win on the culture track and the turn order was going to support the win, when I realized Kathy had the ability to advance on the culture track at the start of the turn if she invested coins. She won. Great game. Kathy immediately wanted to play again. Gotta love that girl.

On Saturday, I played a 5 player game of Supremacy. We played with a set of hybrid rules involving Warlords and Pirates, Fortuna, Resource Decks 1&2, 2:1 Market ratio, Mega Map, and Turn order bidding. I enjoyed the game. It was a real trip down memory lane for me. We are going to play an 8 player game in the next couple of months. We will ditch the Fortuna cards as they randomly really hurt players to the tune of $1.6 billion  with earthquakes and the like. We will also introduce the random market modifiers than tend to push the market up a bit. Rotating sell orders would balance the market issues as well. There is a decent and solid game hiding there. The right mix of expansions and a couple of market fixes and I think we have the makings of a solid game with staying power. Looking forward to playing this again.

PS. South America would like to apologize the the super powers formerly known as Europe and USA. Oops. That is what the big red button does.  :bump  :neener
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

celticgriffon

Matt, Supremacy definitely gives me nostalgic feelings as well.  What we found, however, was the market would take wild swings.  It would go from a bull to a bear market constantly.  I recall we put in a few things to fix it but to be honest I cannot remember what they were.  Other than that the game was definitely fun - even if 80% of the games for us ended with nuclear winter...

Michael
I wonder if you could be anyone would you be yourself? - yup it's mine..

Bix Conners

Quote from: celticgriffon on February 04, 2013, 09:06:02 AM
Matt, Supremacy definitely gives me nostalgic feelings as well.  What we found, however, was the market would take wild swings.  It would go from a bull to a bear market constantly.  I recall we put in a few things to fix it but to be honest I cannot remember what they were.  Other than that the game was definitely fun - even if 80% of the games for us ended with nuclear winter...

Michael

The market fixes we used fixed most of the problems. I think the next game will see the market stabilize. We never got over a value of $400 million so the Market never got close to bear. It almost hit bull a couple of times though.

Bix Conners

Last Night at ChewsDay Challenge...

Coloretto
Played two quick games of Coloretto. Quick light game that is easy to teach and quick to play. I like push your luck games, although I tend to do poorly at them.

Kakerlaken Poker
Played a four player game of this. This is a game where everybody wins except one player who is the loser. I lost. :)

River Dragons
Very clever game that involves programmed planning and offers the opportunity to screw over the other players. WOuld like to play this some more.

Masquerade
There is a lot of game packed into this tiny box card game. more interesting decisions than I would have first thought. Clever design.

Jolo

I was on vacation last week in the Dominican and between gin & tonics we played some games:

Zombie Dice
- simple push your luck

San Juan
- just like Puerto Rico but better

Venture
- Sid Sackson set collection game from 1970. It was recently reprinted by Gryphon & Eagle Games. I quite like it, I never do well at it, but it is a strong game.

Leah kept asking to play it again.

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jolo on February 27, 2013, 10:47:59 AMVenture
- Sid Sackson set collection game from 1970. It was recently reprinted by Gryphon & Eagle Games. I quite like it, I never do well at it, but it is a strong game.

I have the original and think it is a brilliant design. Lot of game in a small box there.

Jolo

Quote from: Matt Robertson on February 27, 2013, 10:59:50 AM

I have the original and think it is a brilliant design. Lot of game in a small box there.

The SPI one in the little green box? That is the one I took with me.

Bix Conners

Quote from: Jolo on February 27, 2013, 11:02:26 AM
Quote from: Matt Robertson on February 27, 2013, 10:59:50 AM

The SPI one in the little green box? That is the one I took with me.

That is teh one. I have a whole series of 3M Gamette Games.

R Newell

A buddy of mine recently moved from Saskatoon to Regina.  We (along with the wife) celebrated with games.  First we played a Co-op Blitz of Mage Knight.  We stupidly spread out instead of taking out the cities as a group and so only managed to defeat the weakest of the cities. 

Next we played Pandemic.  I screwed up the set-up and added all 13 special event cards into the draw deck instead of just 2-per player.  Despite my accidental assistance, we still lost just before curing the fourth and final disease.

Jolo

Two games on the table tonight

Cargo Noir
- worker placement, I hate WP....

Ave Caesar
- bowb your buddy game, awesome as usual (and I finished last)