ComicReaders Downtown: Learn to Play Magic & Tournament

Started by ChadBoudreau, March 28, 2012, 09:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadBoudreau

Learn to Play Magic & Mini Tournament *Magic: The Gathering*

DESCRIPTION
ComicReaders Downtown and Wizards of the Coast (publishers of Magic: The Gathering) are providing you with the opportunity to partake in a mini-tournament designed to introduce new players to the most popular CCG in North America. The event is two-fold: One, learn to play if you've never played or are still learning the rules and the art of deck-building. Two, a mini-tournament where more seasoned players can get right down to the business of competing. New players, once you built your deck, square off for a match and put your new knowledge and abilities to the test.

Every player will receive a FREE 30 card deck (courtesy of ComicReaders Downtown and Wizards of the Coast).

Prizes will be awarded to top players, including best established player, and best newcomer.

Land and common cards will be supplied by ComicReaders Downtown from our own personal store stock, but must be returned at the end of the event.

Registration is required for reporting purposes, but there is NO ENTRY FEE.

DATE & TIME
Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 10:30am to 1:30pm

COST
None.

EVENT ORGANIZER
Chad Boudreau / Jason Morton

EVENT ATTENDANCE LIMITS
No limit on seating for this event.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS
No entry fee. Giveaways. Prizes for top players. And a chance to learn the most popular CCG in North America.

Dana_Tillusz

Sounds like fun. I haven't played Magic since I sold my dual lands, if I was to partake, which tournament would I be playing in?
Snikt!

Aleron

Sounds fun! Where do we register? Via private message?

Going to try come out and convince my brother to come along too. He's never played and I've only played once before myself so could be a good chance to meet some folks and learn.
My Current Gaming:
~ World of Irhardt - Dungeon Master (5E D&D Campaign) ~

kdogg_64

I will absolutly come and support this it is always a great thing seing new people come out and play the game I love to play and hey maybe the next jon finkel is in Regina haha

ChadBoudreau

Thanks for the interest, everyone. Let's get to the questions:

Dana: I suspect what is going to happen is the more seasoned "new" players are going to bring a deck or build a deck and getting going with matches as the newer players are learning the basics and building their first decks. So, if you're feeling brave and want to hop right in then you're free to do so.

Aleron: Registration will occur at ComicReaders Downtown the day of the event. We want to get started at 10:30 but we open at 10am so feel free to come early to register, visit, etc.

kdogg_64: It would be good to have you. Seasoned players are definitely welcome to come out and help those learning the ropes. Our very own Mr. Morton (an FNM, Commander, Sunday MTG regular) will be on hand to oversee the event, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind a couple seasoned players in the mix to help out the newer players.

Aleron

My Current Gaming:

ChadBoudreau

Aleron

We had a great time, thanks for doing this! :) Appreciate the effort you all put in.
My Current Gaming:

ChadBoudreau

Thanks to everyone for coming out on Saturday. We had more participants than I was expecting, which was a very nice surprise. From the chatter during and after the event, it appears everyone had a good time.

There are some people I'd like to thank because without them this event would not have been possible:
- Jason and Lareina for building the decks newcomers were able to use at the event.
- Jason for teaching the basics, and then answering questions and providing advice during and after the event.
- Dana for working the till during the event so that I could be in the back with the players.

Cheers.

Blake

This was a great idea Chad, thanks for setting it up. I look forward to meeting the new Magic addicts at the regular weekly events.