Dwarf Fortress

• 4 Replies

Brad

• View Profile
Dwarf Fortress
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »
I can't even begin to try to explain this game to anyone who doesn't know what it is. I'm just sort of hoping someone else has played it and was the right kind of insane to enjoy it. ;p Well maybe I will try to explain it.

Take Sim City, and mix in a little bit of the Sims. Then take away the tutorials, the graphics and add in even more content. That's kind of Dwarf Fortress, the game, if you don't have a "graphics pack" is displayed like a roguelike game, everything is "rendered" in text. A graphic pack changes that however making the game a fair bit easier. The next thing you need to know to play Dwarf Fortress is "Losing is Fun" You will never, never NEVER win Dwarf Fortress, ever. You will lose, a lot and for stupid reasons at the beginning but hey Losing is Fun.

So Saskatchewan, do we have any awesome stories of the downfall of Dwarven outposts?

Aleron

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
I've tried it off an on. It's...a beautiful, crazy game. I'm a fan definitely but never got far in it at all.
My Current Gaming:
~ World of Irhardt - Dungeon Master (5E D&D Campaign) ~

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
Where can you get a copy of this game?

Aleron

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
Here's the official site with free download links: Bay 12 Games
My Current Gaming:
~ World of Irhardt - Dungeon Master (5E D&D Campaign) ~

Tempest

• Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:03:18 AM »
I haven't played it, but I've been playing a fair bit of Gnomoria, which apparently is (loosely?) based on Dwarf Fortress. If nothing else, it has the same thematic thing where you don't really win, you just do a little better every time.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.