Poll

If Whiskey Traders was available in a published package would you...?

Sorry - I am not really interested in the theme or design
Maybe - it would depend on the price point
Yes, I think it is a design worthy of my moola
I may even buy more than one
Haven't played it yet so not sure
Haven't played it yet but I would be interested to give it a punt
Played it but I don't think I would purchase the game as it is

Whiskey Traders discussion board

• 60 Replies

celticgriffon

• View Profile
    • Whiskey Traders on boardgamegeek
Re: Whiskey Traders discussion board
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »
I have been working hard on the game again this weekend. 

Here are some more card images.  For the Event Cards I created two images... i am pretty sure I like the event card labelled "back final.jpg" better than the card "back v3.jpg"... but anyone can offer their opinions.

Again, I have learned a ton of things in the adobe programs.  I think one of the coolest things about Photoshop is the ability of adding layers and transparency to items.

I used a crinkled paper image with a backdrop of a Indian headdress to make the one card type.
I used a picture of cracked dirt for the faction cards backdrop.
I used the same Indian headdress to make the other card but I added a few filters to distort it first.
Finally the Poundmaker card has a bison skull in the background and also a diamond effect behind the text.  It is layered on top of a wooden plank.

Cheers,
Michael Becker

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:59:41 AM by celticgriffon »
I wonder if you could be anyone would you be yourself? - yup it's mine..

dbezzant

• Board Game Knight
    • View Profile
    • Boardgame Knights
  • BGG ID: dbezzant
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
I would recommend being consistent in where the game text is located - on Metis Petitions, you have the game text at the bottom and on Poundmaker it is on the top.  This will be confusing.
Everyone wants to be unique.  No one wants to be different.

celticgriffon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
Thanks for the comments Darren.  For the event and faction cards they are functionally different (faction cards are used by each player on their play boards and event cards are used by the game system).... but this is good feedback and it will be very easy to change the template to keep things consistent!  I absolutely agree - less confusing is better.

Cheers,
Michael

celticgriffon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
I finished the FN/Metis faction cards and here are some samples.  Again, any thoughts or comments please drop me a note either in private or on this board.

Cheers,
Michael Becker

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:06:05 AM by celticgriffon »

Bix Conners

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Detailed Gaming Bio
  • BGG ID: Bixby
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
I would remove the buffalo skull image from behind the portrait. It is not really adding any ascetic value to the card if you cannot see the whole skull and adds another layer that distracts from the image of the portrait. I think this is a case of "less is more". Just my two cents.
>>> Bixby's Bar & Grill <<<
Board Game Events, Gaming Retreats, Mini-Conventions, Fundraising, Disc Golf, Poker, Scotch Tastings, & all around Camaraderie!

celticgriffon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
Matt, thanks for your comments!

I was hoping to have a unique watermarked image behind each type of faction card.  Tonight I finished the NWMP cards (new design tonight) and here are the examples.  With this in context do you still believe the watermark is more distracting than appealing?  Perhaps if I changed the angle of the bison skull it might help?

I do appreciate everyone's feedback - even if you don't know me or have never played the game.

Cheers,
Michael

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:06:54 AM by celticgriffon »

celticgriffon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »
Here is a copy of the game prototype on the table.

Cheers,
Michael

celticgriffon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
Hey everyone,

Here are some more images - revised faction card back, revised FN faction card, and a glimpse of the whiskey trader faction cards.  As always, I would love to hear any feedback.

Cheers,
Michael

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:07:28 AM by celticgriffon »

celticgriffon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 11:50:21 PM »
Hey everyone - I just received a revised map from my cartographer.  He has added some neat elements to make the board look more textured and grungy... I love it - any comments of course feel free to PM or post away. 

Also - exciting news - I am going to have a professional graphic artist (Jason Kingsley... http://www.fromthekingsfield.com ) take a crack at redesigning the faction card backs and the event card backs.  I cannot wait to see what his vision entails..!!!!  The best part of this partnership is that Jason is currently undergoing some projects for an old west miniature game called http://www.blackwatergulch.com so he already has some familiarity with the genre.

Cheers,
Michael Becker

Bellis

• View Profile
  • Name: Barry Ellis
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »
Michael, the re-designed cards and now the new board look better than ever. However, I must confess that I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to appreciating the graphic design of most games, so I would have been satisfied with an earlier version of the board, shortly after you added the water marked colonial map earlier this year.

From your continual efforts at changing the game's components, first at graphic overhaul, then refinements, I suspect that you're looking to publish your game on your own rather than have a publisher take it over. That might work out OK for you, but I hope you've done your due diligence before you take the plunge. As it stands now, a would be publisher would still probably insist on some graphical changes (don't they always?), and that might stir up some resistance from you as you've already put so much effort into getting the "look" you want. Decide for sure how you want to proceed (a contract with a publisher, or self publish) before you enable any more changes in the artwork.