NEW FORMAT?!?!?!?!

Started by kdogg_64, August 16, 2011, 11:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdogg_64

okay so wotc dropped the bomb on us that pt philly will be a new format called modern, basically sets mirrodin and up. There is a possible chance that San Diego will also be modern which i will be attending!!!!!:P anyways i am just curious on people thoughts on this new format and any sweet ideas for a deck/playtesting

cheers KellyT

Mark

I have been playing a ton of modern online and initially zoo was rocking then 12 post green was doing well. Currently blood moon seems to be the deck to beat. Super fun and lots of variance in deck lists within the archetypes at the moment. Sadly I don't have the collection to put any of these decks together in paper though so I'm relegated to online testing.

Jason Doan

I assume Jund should be a good deck, though blood moon would wreck their manabase pretty good.

Mark

most of the jund decks are kind of a jund/zoo hybrid so to speak.  Tons of the "Zoo" decks are running BBE and the "Jund" decks are all runnign goyf and kavu from the "zoo" lists.  thats what I was messing around with till all the moon decks started destorying me. 

Jason Doan

Well that's mostly dumb then...The whole point of Jund was the card advantage you get from just about everything in your deck being a 2 for 1.  Goyf does sound awesome though.

Mark

The turn one or 2 blood moon is what makes it really brutal on the jund and zoo lists though. Heigharch helps alot but it's still an uphill battle.

kdogg_64

so if blood moon is the problem wouldn't a combo deck like dragonstorm or hivemind be the answer????

Mark

as long as your manabase is solid against the bloodmoon.  Dragon storm have been running a transformative sideboard into bloodmoon . . .

JohnKapp

Wouldn't Hivemind suck without Ancient Tomb or City of Traitors?

Jason Doan

can play cloudpost/vesuva/glimmerpost for the sort of same effect...the format as a whole should be slower than Legacy so going off on turn 4 would be fine.