Ir's a hard knock life... for us

Started by akaAelius, October 03, 2018, 07:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akaAelius

So what avenues are there to find new games to join or new players to form a group?  Why has it become so hard to find new RPG groups?  Do they just not exist anymore?  I blame boardgames. :P

This forum just seems so dead to me, barely anyone posting.
"If there is doubt, there is no doubt"
~Robert De Niro

erdrikwolf

I am not sure, but I sort of blame society in general...  lol

I have been part of different groups off and on over the last 10 years or so, and I find people say they want to play, but then finding people who actually show up on a regular basis is tough.  Every group I have been in has at least 1 or 2 people who miss roughly every second or third game.

Some of that is just life happening- sick days, family commitments etc., but we played on the same day each week, and several times a month we would have someone say, oh forgot we were playing, and I made other plans with my wife, or family.

I would love to find a group of 5 people who were consistently reliable and want to play.  I am in 3 different groups right now that play roughly on schedule, but usually miss at least 1 session out of 2.

If there are any groups looking for players I would be interested!

Sean

Reynard

I'm of the school that says if you can't find a group, then make one. I formed a good Shadowrun group via the forum a couple years ago and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, over the years people moved on, and so did I, but we had some good sessions. If I wanted to be part of an RPG group again and there were none available, I would form one by posting.
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."

― Robert Jordan

akaAelius

I totally agree, I've just found it hard to actually start a group.  I'm 40 so I'm leery of asking the 'new generation' of gamers for fear of being 'the creepy old guy'. 
~Robert De Niro

swoop_ds

Seems to be a lot of people playing RPGs at the Prairie Games Expo.  The next one isn't until January but that could be a good place to find a group.

Also, playing online is a lot of fun using tools like roll20.  That's how I plays 95% of the time because I live in a small town (Strasbourg).

Roll20 has a looking for group/game tool that helps in finding games and other players.

akaAelius

Nod.  I play on Roll20 but enjoy an in person game much more.  Could be that's just the way to go.

Yeah I was looking at the Expo, but it was all Path/Star-finder.
~Robert De Niro

erdrikwolf

I agree it is hard to start a group or find new players.  I am in my forties now too, and it feels like trying to date again!

Will I like them, will we get along, if I don't like them how do I tell them....   lol

That is one of the things I like about the new board game place, you can go and meet new people without as much of that sort of pressure.

Are you looking for a new group or players akaAelius?

PhotoJim

This forum is fairly quiet but I think that's just because RPGers don't know about the site.  It does live more in the board game side of things than the RPG side.

That having been said, I'm in my 50s and eventually would like to find a regular game.  My big problem right now is that I have a very busy schedule so playing more than once or twice a month is probably not viable.  That, and I'm not familiar enough with any edition of D&D/AD&D newer than 2nd edition to actually run a game well, and I doubt it would be very easy these days to find people that would play 1E or 2E :).
Avidly gaming since 1972.

erdrikwolf

ChadBoudreau

QuoteYeah I was looking at the Expo, but it was all Path/Star-finder.

There were several sessions of D&D, too, and Fiasco, The Quiet Year and Microscope.

There are venues in Regina where you can meet other gamers: WokBox, Boston Pizza (Chewsday Challenge), Boards N Beans, ComicReaders, Board Game Bistro, etc. You might meet some RPGers at those places.