ComicReaders Downtown: Age of Sigmar: Ladder of Command Campaign

• 2 Replies

ChadBoudreau

LADDER STRUCTURE

Introduction

Welcome to ComicReaders' first ever Age of Sigmar organized event. In a Ladder of Command Campaign players challenge each other in battle with the view of climbing the ladder. Being at the top of the ladder does not make you the winner of the campaign, however. Your overall standing in the campaign is a combination of other achievements.

Joining the Ladder Campaign

The concept of a ladder campaign is simple: A list of the players taking part in the campaign is made and is on display in the game room at ComicReaders (and online at SaskGames). The first player to join takes the first spot on the ladder; the second player takes the second spot on the ladder; and so on. If players sign-up after the campaign begins on July 16 they are simply added to the bottom of the ladder.

We require a minimum of 8 players for the Ladder of Command Campaign. 

There is no maximum to the campaign, but only the Top 8 players will be able to participate in a special event at the end of the campaign, with other players being able to participate if someone from the Top 8 cannot participate.

Please sign up here

Army Composition

The ComicReaders' Ladder of Command Campaign will use the Pitched Battle rules found on page 310-311 of the 2nd edition core rules. Pitched Battle profiles can be found in the General's Handbook 2018 or the book where the warscroll for that unit appears.

Details:

- Vanguard (1000 points, etc, as described in the core rules)
- Allegiance Abilities in effect (page 242 of core rules)-- includes Grand Alliance allegiance, factions, battle traits, command traits, artefacts of power, spell lores, and unique abilities...where applicable.
- Triumphs
- Endless Spells
- Optional: Players can choose to roll on the Scenery Table if both combatants agree
- Excluded: Garrisoning

Players can change their army list between games, but cannot change their Grand Alliance allegiance. This will allow players to try out other models / units in their collection.

Players can field units / models with square bases. Doing so will disqualify the player from receiving the "Artisan" reward, however.

Where to Play / Realms of Battle

The Realms in which the Ladder of Command takes place depends on the physical location of the game and the round of the campaign. Players will have access to the magic, commands, and realmscape features of the realm.

ComicReaders Downtown:
Round 1: Shyish, The Realm of Death
Round 2: Aqshy, The Realm of Fire

Highland Curling Club:
Round 1: Chamon, The Realm of Metal
Round 2: Ghur, The Realm of Beasts

Player's Home or other Venue:
Round 1: Ghyran, The Realm of Life
Round 2: Hysh, The Realm of Light

The special event at Prairie Game Expo will be set in Ulgu, The Realm of Shadow.

Battleplans

Players can choose any of the Pitched Battles Battleplans (pages 312 - 317 in core rules). Players can agree to use a specific Battleplan or can choose to roll a D6 and consult the following table:
1 - Blood and Glory
2 - Escalation
3 - Border War
4 - Three Places of Power
5 - Gifts from the Heavens
6 - Take and Hold

Climbing the Ladder

If the winner of a battle is lower on the ladder then the opponent, the winner swaps places with the opponent.

If the winner of a battle is higher on the ladder then the opponent, the winner swaps places with the player directly above them on the ladder-- unless the winner is at the top of the ladder; in that case the loser of the battle moves down one spot on the ladder.

In the case of a tie, both players remain in the current position.

In addition to the above, anyone who doesn't play a game within a round of the campaign drops to the bottom of the ladder. 

Please note: A "win" can be either a major or minor victory.

Campaign Duration

Games will start July 16, 2018 and will run for 2 Rounds.
Round 1: July 16 - August 16
Round 2: August 17 - September 17

The Ladder of Command Campaign ends on September 17, 2018, with the special event occurring at Prairie Game Expo on Saturday, September 29, 2018. The Top 8 players will be invited to the special event, with other players invited if any Top 8 players are unable to attend.

BATTLE & BONUS POINTS
Players accumulate points through the duration of the campaign:

- Major Victory (3 points)
- Minor Victory (2 points)
- Tie (2 points)
- Loss (1 point)

There are a number of ways to earn and lose bonus points over the course of the campaign...
  • Artisan - Any game played with a fully painted army without improper substitutes; models need to be on round bases, too, to qualify for Artisan +1 point
  • Neutral Ground  - Played a game at ComicReaders (1 point) or Highland Curling Club (+0.5 point) per game
  • Slayer of Champions  - Defeated the player at the top of the ladder + 1 point per
  • Never Say Die - Climbed the most spots on the ladder in a round +1 point
  • The Mentor – Taught / helped a player in the campaign who is new to Age of Sigmar + 1 point per
  • Fools Rush In - Games played with un-finished miniatures, or improper substitutes  – 1 point per game
  • Idle Hands - A player that does not play a game in a round---player’s points are reset
  • Herald of Chaos - Players with complaints regarding his or her conduct within the month: Suspension*
*Multiple occurrences of this infraction will result in expulsion from the league and may affect eligibility from future ComicReaders Downtown events.

PRIZES
Prizes are provided by ComicReaders Downtown, details of the prize will be given to the winners of each month. Two prizes will be given out each month. All the prizes will be randomly drawn. Number of entries will be determined by a player's number of games divided by 2 rounded down.  A player may only win one prize each month.

Overall standings only affect entry into the tournament.

GAME SCHEDULE
Thursday all day is guaranteed for space to be free in the store. Players do not have to only play on Thursdays at the store, but the space is made available. Saturday all day should be available, if a Saturday is not available, Lareina will try to post if there has been a booking for other tournaments. Players are to schedule games between other players.

The store is generally not available: Friday nights due to other events in the store. Please call ComicReaders to see if there is any room in the store. Please use the Sask Games Forums (http://forums.saskgames.com/index.php?board=4.0) to find out if there are major events happening in order to help you schedule matches against other players in the Campaign. Go to the Leagues section (http://forums.saskgames.com/index.php?topic=7576) to help contact other players in the Campaign.

When wanting to play games at the store, be mindful of store hours. Keep in mind how long it takes to set up and clean up a game, an hour or two may not be enough time to play a full game. Staff may ask players to leave when it is time to close the store without a time warning.

GAME PLAY/REPORTING
There is no maximum number of games you can play within a round of the campaign.

Report wins and losses along with any bonuses to ComicReaders Downtown via email (downtown@comicreaders.com) or through the forum thread.

We no longer require players to fill out the Sportsmanship Criteria cards, but this does not mean we will not be monitoring conduct. Depending on severity of the issue, a suspension may be given out without a warning. Please refer to the general Code of Conduct expected of players: http://forums.saskgames.com/index.php?topic=794.0

If you are spectating games, please refrain from helping players with strategy or influencing players’ decisions. If there is a rule error or clarity of a rule is under dispute, if you know the answer, refrain from simply telling the players what the rule is, but instead find evidence in the rulebook or FAQ.

THANKS
This League would not be possible without the dedication of ComicReaders' staff.

Rules are subject to change. I say this because this is my first Age of Sigmar campaign and though I tried to be thorough I may have missed or messed up something that requires a fix.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:30:46 AM by ChadBoudreau »

ChadBoudreau

Re: ComicReaders Downtown: Age of Sigmar: Ladder of Command Campaign
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »
Rules Changes

The following additions have been made to the original campaign post but are also reproduced below to update players:

(added July 9) - Players can change their army list between games, but cannot change their Grand Alliance allegiance. This will allow players to try out other models / units in their collection.

(added July 9) - Players can field units / models with square bases. Doing so will disqualify the player from receiving the "Artisan" reward, however.

(added July 9) - ComicReaders Downtown will have a STORE COPY of Age of Sigmar 2.0 core rules and General's Handbook 2018 available for players to reference during play at ComicReaders Downtown.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:20:09 AM by ChadBoudreau »

ChadBoudreau

Re: ComicReaders Downtown: Age of Sigmar: Ladder of Command Campaign
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
FAQ

Q. Why are prizes now given out as random draws?
A. This way players do not feel stressed about trying to get good results. You can play games without the weight of trying to get top spot in the month.

Q. What's the point of standings now?
A. Overall standings determine Top 8 special event.

Q. Why is the tournament only for the Top 8 players in the special event.
A. 8 is a much nicer number to work with than say, 6 or 10 for a one day event.

Q. Can I change my roster from game to game?
A. Yes, you can. You can change the composition of your 1,000 point army but you can't change your Grand Alliance allegiance.

Q. Help, I’m new and don’t know how to play the game very well but I want to play in the ladder campaign. Is there someone willing to teach me?
A. While everyone in the campaign might be willing to help out the new person learn, send an email to downtown@comicreaders.com and the organizer (Chad) can help you find someone to show you the ropes. If multiple requests come in, a day will be scheduled to accommodate as many newcomers as possible. There is, in fact, a chance for seasoned players to gain additional points in the ladder campaign for teaching / helping new players!

Q. What books do I need?
A. You will need access to 2.0 core rules, General's Handbook 2018 and any warscroll cards required for your army. You might also need Malign Sorcery, if you are planning to field endless spells. Games Workshop has all these things in digital versions, too.

Q. I don't like my army! Can I change to a different one?
A. Yes you may, but at a price. Your campaign points will be reset and you will fall to the bottom of the ladder, which may hurt your chances to play in the tournament.

Q. Why didn't I get a prize for month x? I was at the top of the ladder!
A. All prizes will now be distributed as a random draw. Please ensure you report your games, and check the game results for errors. Chad is only human and is not as experienced in running leagues / campaigns as Lareina.  :)

Q. Why am I missing some bonuses?
A. Did you report your results along with any bonuses? Please be honest when reporting since Chad will be posting the results in one of first posts to keep track.

Q. What does 'unfinished miniatures' mean?
A. It is only in regards to missing parts (ie arms, weapons, etc); you are allowed to play with unpainted miniatures without penalty. Improper substitutes will count as unfinished.

Q. What do you considered as "painted"?
A. At it's core, being considered painted is 3 distinct colours on each model. As long as each model is painted and not purchased as a pre-painted figure. If proxy models are painted, your army is still not considered painted.

Q. How strict is WYSIWYG?
A. While models are supposed to be WYSIWYG, appropriate substitutes can be made, please make sure your opponent is aware of what the model has if it is not properly modelled.

Q. Are proxy models allowed?
A. As long as they are proper substitutes, and your opponent can identify what the unit is. If your proxy models are improper substitutes, ask your opponent if they are ok with it before playing. Please check with campaign organizer if in doubt.

Conduct Questions:
Q. Since we don't have to fill out the Sportsmanship Criteria cards, how can I indicate I have a problem with so and so's conduct?
A. This shouldn't be a problem because we're all mature adults, right? We will monitor closely to what is posted publicly on the forums for any disorderly behaviour. We do not recommend sending a PM to Chad because it is sometimes hard to iterate a point clearly through text. We recommend you talk to Chad in person. Please note: depending on the severity of the behaviour, a warning may or may not be issued before giving out a suspension.

Q. Am I allowed to watch other players' games?
A. Yes, but please ask the players if it is ok to watch because some people may not like the added pressure of spectators. Most importantly, if you are spectating, please refrain from helping players with strategy or influencing players’ decisions. If there is a rule error or clarity of a rule is under dispute, if you know the answer, refrain from simply telling the players what the rule is, but instead find evidence in the rulebook or errata.

Q. May I come play in the store Friday night or Saturday (or whenever there is a special event going on)?
A. Please phone (306-779-0900) ahead and ask if there will be any room available on that particular day. We will try our best to post when there are special events running at the store, so you are aware that availability may be extremely limited.

Q. May I come in and play a couple hours before the store closes?
A. Most likely yes depending on the day, please keep in mind the time it takes to set up and clean up a game. Players are responsible to watch the time, staff may or may not give a time warning of when the store will be closing.